Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Besides slightly different imprinting on the grip, the difference is in the length. If I recall, the Sport model is what I put on several Suzukis as well as the Helix. The lengths are in the specifications on the Oxford website. They can be trimmed a little, but obviously best to start with the proper length if possible.

·
Administrator
18,201 Posts
Maybe Josh and I can shoot some pic's. His is a 2015 650 so I do not know how to remove the maintenance cover and the handlebar covers. We will need to fish a wire down and around to the battery.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Kelly, the sport model is what I have here and I think in about 2 hours when JoshDHX gets here we will be installing on his Burgman 650.

Now I do not remember what bike you have. Some of the 400's have a bit smaller bar than the 7/8 inch 22mm ones on the 650.
Hmm... I seem to have gotten the Touring version. I wonder how much of an issue that will be.. =/

·
Administrator
18,201 Posts
Hmm... I seem to have gotten the Touring version. I wonder how much of an issue that will be.. =/
The Sport ones are 0.12 inch longer than the Touring. But the Sports may need trimming down to fit, the Touring may 'JUST' fit without trimming.

Sports is Max of 4.84 inch and can be trimmed to 4.48.
Touring is Max of 4.72 inch and can be trimmed to 4.37.

I'm thinking they, Touring, may work out of the box.

:grin

·
Registered
106 Posts
DaveJ mine is a 2015 650 as well. I would definitely like to get them especially if it ends up being nice around Christmas time and we go for a ride. I've looked at the pics of the different grips but being things like that are not my forte I'm not sure what is best for my bike. I'm a hands on type a person I like to feel what the grips feel like in my hand to know if I would like them or not. Unfortunately there aren't any shops around here that carry things like that in stock. I knew from the first time I felt the stock grips that I didn't like them. They are uncomfortable to me. Maybe I'm being overly picky but I want to enjoy riding my bike and unfortunately after about 2 hours my hand is done. I would hate to order the grips, put them on then not like how they feel. I know I'm kinda rambling and I apologize. Any input on the feel of the grips would be appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Maybe Josh and I can shoot some pic's. His is a 2015 650 so I do not know how to remove the maintenance cover and the handlebar covers. We will need to fish a wire down and around to the battery.
Dave_J,
Removing the handlebar cover is almost exactly the same as on the older models.

The dash cover just below that is slightly different but only due to the small glove boxes being different. Make sure the mirrors are out to get to the large plastic rivet on each side. Open the glove box doors to remove the screw in the corner on each side. No need to open the large glove box door.

The maintenance cover comes off in a few steps. First remove the side access panel by removing the plastic rivet. Then inside the top of that opening there is a screw that needs to come out (this holds the top maintenance cover from popping off). Then starting on that left side flex and release the hump panel from the plastic clips all over on all sides. The plastic clips are long ones across the front/top and are best released by pulling back after releasing the left side and rear and right side clips. Assembly is the reverse.

After that it's easy to fish a wire from on top the large glove box area all the way to under the seat same as on the older models.

·
Administrator
18,201 Posts
Josh just left and seems happy. I will post a few pictures. It does take a bit of finessing, more than the 2003-2012's.

I will follow up soon, I have a police report that needs taking care of, Drone in the neighborhood and a Dodge Mini van shooting videos of our houses....

·
Administrator
18,201 Posts
OK, Josh got here and we got started.

The Touring set is just long enough for his 2015 and we did not need to trim for the bar end weight. The sport ones we would have needed to trim it to fit the bar end. Touring are a smoother grip and the sport have a more raised diamond grip.

First we removed the bar end weights by turning the Phillips screw about 2 turns. Do not turn the screw any more than that or you may loose the last Rubber expanded with the steel nut.

Then we worked the old grips free of the glue and twisted and pulled but they did come off. The left side is bare steel of the handle bar and you just need to clean all the old glue off. The right side is the throttle sleave and on his 2015 it has a flange on the outside that must be removed to get this new grip on. Its plastic and Josh was able to slowly snap it off. After a few trial fits to make sure the cable will not interfere with the brake levers we used the real liquid 'Super Glue' that came with the set.

Routing the cables on a 2013 up will take some planing due to the fork lock setup. See the second picture compared to the 2002-2012 in the third picture.

Fished wire down around top of engine....

And up into the trunk area of the battery.

Right side grip.

Controller bracket is rebent to fit. It is mounted to the left brake levers pivot bolt's bottom using the factory lock nut.

All buttoned up and tested.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Here's a Mini review.
These bad boys are friggen HOT!!

Full review coming later..

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
You Da Man Dave_J !!!

Again Kudos to you .....Service Above Self !

·
Administrator
18,201 Posts
The pictures for this did not come over to the new forum format. I do not have copies.

Anyway, if Josh has time to give a 7 month review that would be nice.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
The pictures for this did not come over to the new forum format. I do not have copies.

Anyway, if Josh has time to give a 7 month review that would be nice.
I actually don't have time for a full review (my bike and I are currently about 1300 miles from home down here in Sunny San Diego, on a looong scooter road trip that is right now on it's 2400th mile, lol).

Also I'm currently trying to install a Garmin Sat/Nav! =D

But I will say this: The grips are excellent!! DO buy these for your L-series 650 if you don't have standard heated grips. Seriously. Absolutely no complaints whatsoever. Though I should mention that when we installed them, they ran about a hair of a hair's hair too long. At first this was a concern, but in time it became a feature, a makeshift throttle-lock feature! And though over the months it has gradually become less so, as expected, it still provides a bit of resistance for the throttle to allow you to release it for a short spell to regrip it and not lose much... thrust. Otherwise, the grips get very VERY warm to the point of being called hot! Going through last winter, they did exactly what I wanted them to do: warm my fingers up enough to pass along such warmth to the outside part of the fingers to offset the wind blast. while not revolutionary, it was enough to keep the outer parts from freezing (or feel like freezing) like they had before. Obviously they're no replacement for good guards on the handlebars, but for lack of those, they are far FAR better than nothing at all!. I was even able to wear my summer riding gloves in near freezing weather on my 1/2 hour commutes to work!.

The absolutely unexpected downside to having these is that they work too well! What I mean is that while riding through the freezing cold, your hands and fingers are enjoying absolute heated goodness. This somehow makes the rest of you feel a lot colder, even if you're bundled up as you normally would be and would normally feel fine as such. It just doesn't compare to having the powered heat that your fingers are enjoying, so your body starts to become unsatisfied with your layers, lol. So because of this, I don't recommend using any more heat than you absolutely need.

Another downside is that not all five fingers will get the heat, and you'll find that you'll have to sacrifice either your thumb or pinky, until you develop the technique of scrunching your thumb along the tip of your other fingers and against the grip. But that gets uncomfortable after a while so, meh..

So there you go.. I guess I could write a lengthy review after all!

Bottom line is that these things are terrific! And while a lot of you would say "I'd rather just have powered gloves" ( and you're right, they're better) still get these, because if you go out without your gloves, these will be a lifesaver as they're much MUCH better than nothing!

Reactions: Dave_J
21 - 33 of 33 Posts