Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! (I know, long time..)

Anyways, I have a 2015 650 that didn't come with heated grips or seat. I'm thinking it would be cool (get it?) to order and have installed the OEM Heated Grips onto my machine. Is this possible? Has anyone done anything like this? Have some advice?

I chose style over substance with the purchase of this 650 (hey I love the fibroin gray metallic! which, for this model year came without the toasters) I didn't think it was that big of a deal, but maaaaaaaan... last winter here in Seattle, my fingers became packages of Costco frozen wieners!

Thoughts?

-DHX

·
Registered
36 Posts
I would personally snap on some handleguards to deflect wind from hands, compliment with warmer gloves and maybe a heated west, since stock seat warmer is just "meh". Cheaper, too :)

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I was looking at the fuse block 2 just next to the helmet hook under the seat (for assistance in another post) and noticed there is a fuse position that has contacts for the seat heater. Mine is a 2013 which also is not an Executive (meaning doesn't have heated grips or seat). Then I looked for the grip heater fuse but that turns out to share the 12v dc power port fuse so the wiring may be there but you may have to find it or tap into the 12v power port for the grip heaters. The better idea is if you go aftermarket and get a better price. And then tap off the battery with a relay triggered by the power port to only have power when the bike is on (that way you don't run extra amps through the ignition switch). The seat heater is already wired separately with a place for a 5 amp fuse it looks like. It would just be a matter of finding the preferred seat or grip heater gear.

I don't see any reason why you could not add grip heaters. I know lots of riders on lots of different bikes who do that. Personally I prefer heated gloves for heating the back side of my hands better but everyone is different in their preference. I ride in some VERY cold temps, like 15 BELOW Zero F. Or at least I have through last winter. Retired now so don't know if I'll have a need to do much of that any more. Just depends on my tolerance for not riding for so long. But then again, if I do continue riding in winter here in central Iowa I can at least choose when and how cold rather than be controlled by the need to commute to a job.

BTW- the 2013-2015 models in the USA are just Burgman 650 ABS, no Executive models available those years. The 2016 and newer models are the Executive model, no non-Executive models available. The difference is the seat and grip heaters installed.
-

·
Administrator
18,161 Posts
DHX, I have Oxford aftermarket heated grips on my 2008 650. I also have a new set for my 2003 still in the box.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the comments! I guess I'll look into aftermarker solutions..

I would personally snap on some handleguards to deflect wind from hands, compliment with warmer gloves and maybe a heated west, since stock seat warmer is just "meh". Cheaper, too :)
Can handguards be fitted onto a Burgman 650? I like the idea since the outer fingers get coldest, and that's where the numbing process begins. Yet I figure having heated grips would counteract that by bringing warmth up from the other way, keeping the blood flowing and preventing the fingers from becoming the crystalline shards of ice they normally do..

DHX, I have Oxford aftermarket heated grips on my 2008 650. I also have a new set for my 2003 still in the box.
I've heard much about these Oxfords... well I haven't really heard much on them, but the name comes up a lot. Usually in reference to -2013 models. Would they be okay for a 2013+ model? Any specific spec? I'll look into those.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also is that something that could be professionally installed?

·
Super Moderator
2,283 Posts
Far as hand deflectors go, the Givi windscreen has pretty much what'll work on the big burger. I think anything else would block the mirrors.
Pro install on the heated grips. Sure. Just remember to be specific about where they pull the power from.
If you search the related threads here you'll find some commentary on where not to pull it from & why. I think DaveJ had some sound advice on that as I recall.

·
Administrator
18,161 Posts
JoshDHX, do you have time off on a week end? You could always come over to my garage and we could install and wire it up. Its not that hard.

I am free 7 days a week being 100% retired.

I have fuse holders, relay's and lots of wire.

I am not too far, google Washington National Golf Course and I am 2 miles east of that.

CycleGear has Oxford Heaterz Sport or Touring grips for $89.95 + the Governor's rake. Measure your grip from the flair up by the switch boxes to where the bar end weight is. My 2003 is 4.65 inches so both Sport or Touring grips fit within the trimming allowance. These have 5 heat settings, More than enough for our cold riding days.
https://www.cyclegear.com/parts/oxford-heaterz-premium-touring-heated-grips

:)

·
Registered
207 Posts
JoshDHX, do you have time off on a week end? You could always come over to my garage and we could install and wire it up. Its not that hard.

I am not too far, google Washington National Golf Course and I am 2 miles east of that.

CycleGear has Oxford Heaterz Sport or Touring grips for $89.95 + the Governor's rake. Measure your grip from the flair up by the switch boxes to where the bar end weight is. My 2003 is 4.65 inches so both Sport or Touring grips fit within the trimming allowance. These have 5 heat settings, More than enough for our cold riding days.

Hey, I’ll buy a set of grips when I get my bike back and ride up there if you make it an open invitation? Or better yet, make a general call-to-arms, and we can have a barbecue/ tech day/ group ride at your place.

I’d put my Weber grill riding pillion, if that helps convince you . . .

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Mite haf ta take ya up on dat there, Dave J..
Also awaiting your response to ibuzzard with great relish!

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Other forums do not speak highly of the Suzuki grip heaters. I highly recommend Oxford Heaterz and I have them on three bikes. You don't need a relay and the associated wiring, just connect them directly to the battery. It senses when the bike has been turned off and shuts them off after about a minute if you forget to turn them off. Two of mine are wired like this, the other is only switched because I have a power distribution block with a built-in relay so I used that. Of course you could always use the heated grip or seat circuit on the bike if you can find where they hid the connectors.

If you haven't used heated grips before, they make a bigger difference than you would imagine. Except maybe for initial warm-up, I usually run them under 50% power...they will get HOT if you want. Besides the pattern on the grips, the only difference I can see in the different models is the length. I think it was the Sport version fit my Suzukis without trimming. The Oxford website has the measurements of the different ones.

I would advise against using the standard super glue included with the kit to glue them on. All but one set that I've installed loosen up with the heat on - it's like the heat melts the glue, then when it cools it bonds again. Not sure why the one is better, maybe tighter to begin with or I put more glue on? The worst one for slipping has a G2 Throttle Tamer, and it is slipping just with the hot weather. Before winter I am going to have to reglue them, and I'm open to suggestions as to what to use, and where to get it if it's rare.

One more tip and I'll shut up...when glueing on the throttle side, either remove the throttle tube or just put glue on the tube. If you put glue on the grip and shove it on, the tube will scrape the glue off and glue the tube to the bar. You really don't want to have to re-do this the next day when you are all set for a ride.

·
Administrator
18,161 Posts
Doing a weekend maintenance workshop has been done around the lower Seattle areas (Kent-Renton) but I have not heard of any in years. It was mostly set up for young riders to meet up, do some bike work and then PARTY. It was hosted by Pacific Northwest Riders but the owner sold the forum and SQUIDS took over.

It may be un American but I do not own a grill anymore. :eek My son has a nice one but for the little bit I grill I use a 'George Foreman' grill that does a nice job on burgers and brats.

But I do have room to hold a bike-in and we could figure something out. My back yard is large and I have a 12'X 30' deck.

I have a few tools sets and almost any electrical testing and repair tools. My HarborFrieght bike jack has an adapter to lift a Burgman 650 but if needed we could cobble up an adapter for other bikes.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Brrrrr!!!!! I'm thinking it's getting to be about that time.....:eek

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well Dave_J, is that offer still open? My Heaterz just arrived!

·
Administrator
18,161 Posts
Josh, If you want to ride out here we could do this any time. I am still retired so Saturday thru Friday is cool for me.

I am just 5 miles east of Auburn WA city center. So if you want to do this I can meet you or PM my address so you can GPS it.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok cool! I'm thinking this Sunday afternoon would probably be perfect!

·
Administrator
18,161 Posts
If you still are thinking maybe this Sunday send me a PM and I'll give you my address.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Okay! Oh, and when you hear the WHOOSHing sound of a Harrier go by, don't look up! It's just me on my scoot running the pattern, hehe!

·
Registered
105 Posts
DaveJ I started looking at hand grips after my husband and I were out yesterday and my hands were getting very cold even with gloves on. I looked on Amazon for the Oxford heaterz grips that you mentioned in your post. Did you get the cruiser or the touring grips? Just want your opinion on which one you think is more comfortable as I also have a bit of nerve damage in my right hand due to a dog bite a number of years ago and my hand gets completely numb at times. Of course taking it off the grip and flexing it helps but was wondering if the feel and comfort of new grips, along with the heat of course, might help extend the time it takes for my hand to go numb. If anyone else has input as well I'm also ears open for suggestions. I want to start making modifications to my bike during the winter.

·
Administrator
18,161 Posts
Kelly, the sport model is what I have here and I think in about 2 hours when JoshDHX gets here we will be installing on his Burgman 650.

Now I do not remember what bike you have. Some of the 400's have a bit smaller bar than the 7/8 inch 22mm ones on the 650.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts