Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So...if I am right, I need to...

Lift seat.
Remove the 2 big Philips screws securing the stock pad.
Remove the pad.
Slide in the Bearcat.
Replace screws.
Close seat securely.
Go riding.

I admit I might be overthinking this, but...well...can it REALLY be that simple?

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
Not sure which Burgman you have but on the ones I am familiar with you don't remove the two big phillips screws. Those hold the latching mechanism in place and if you take them out you will have problems getting them back in and still won't be able to get the backrest out.

The ones you want to remove are the two small ones that screw directly into the arms coming from the backrest. All they do is keep the arms from sliding completely out. Once you remove them you trip the adjuster latch and slide the pad out.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Yes it is that simple but I leave the screws out so I can easily swap it out anytime I want to. ;)

·
Premium Member
979 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
It is a backrest made from a car headrest. They bend the arms on the headrest so they will fit back into the mount for the driver's backrest on a Burgman 400 or 650.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Maybe if Suzuki needed an instant cost savings, I would eliminate the 2 small screws. The only thing they have ever done is stop people from taking out the backrest when they want to.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Maybe if Suzuki needed an instant cost savings, I would eliminate the 2 small screws. The only thing they have ever done is stop people from taking out the backrest when they want to.
True enough. When I went to remove mine to install the new backrest one was stripped out. I have no idea whether it was a factory worker that did it or the previous owner. I suspect the factory screwed it up - it was stripped and a real bear to remove.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yer worrying me, dude...

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
No worry, if you strip the head of one of the screws, just take a drill and drill it out. As others said they serve no purpose other than to keep the backrest from coming completely out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,

Can somebody please tell me where I can order a bearcat backrest? My searches using google & bing only lead me to best backrest dot com.

Have a good one,

3Eo

·
Administrator
20,112 Posts
Hello,

Can somebody please tell me where I can order a bearcat backrest? My searches using google & bing only lead me to best backrest dot com.

Have a good one,

3Eo
PM Brad (BearCat) about 10 posts above mine here. They were $65 including shipping but he may charge a bit more, I can not quote his price.

And I hope ya all understand my humor in the other BearCat post. I will not ride a Burgman ever again without a BearCat backrest.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bearcat note: To secure mine exactly where I wanted it, I put a small hose clamp on each bar. I'm sure I'm not the only one to do that.

I did find that AZ sells hose clamps that have a plastic piece on the screw...they can be tightened or loosened like a wingnut, without tools. A 4-pack is $3.

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
I had to laugh at the ease in which the two screws were removed on this video. I had a 2005 and a 2009 400 and on both the screws had to be drilled out. I assisted two friends also and soaked the screws overnight with WD40 and still almost stripped the heads before they could be removed. I can't recall the specifics but I purchased a special Philips Head Driver that worked . Suzuki must have used the highest strength Locking Compound on the market. As I recall I have read other post that indicated similar problems on removal

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I had to laugh at the ease in which the two screws were removed on this video. I had a 2005 and a 2009 400 and on both the screws had to be drilled out.
The stupid part about this is that when they strip, they will spin in place yet not back out. You can not grab them and pull them out. The only way I have found to get them out is to take a drill bit and crank it up until the guts are gone. Now I can get it done in about 5 minutes. Since I swap out a lot of seats I tend to get them frequently.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Can somebody please tell me where I can order a bearcat backrest?
Brad a/k/a Bearcat is out of stock right now. His last one is out for delivery to me, today (thanks again, Brad.)

I suggest posting a "WTB: Bearcat backrest for X" in the Classifieds forum here. (Change "X" to "650" or "400" as appropriate.)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts