Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a recent post I mentioned that I had carpal tunnel syndrome and that the Throttle Rocker didn't really help. I don't have any pain - just numbness. Someone suggested that I get thick padded grips, so I did.

Then came the fun! I started with the left grip, and found out it was glued to the handlebar. I managed to remove it and clean off the glue with Awesome, a great product from the 99-cent store. I tried the new grip with soap and water, but am not sure of how to secure it, other than with glue. The new grip already has a a silver metal end cover on it with no screw hole. I guess I could still take off the end cover and screw the original black end into it. In fact, I could probably operate on it, if I could figure out what type of mod would be needed.

Now for the throttle. I can't budge the screw holding the black end piece on, and don't want to risk trashing the screw. If I can't manage, I may end up asking the mechanics at the dealer to loosen it for me.

I thought this would be easy, but now I'm reading that there's a whole science to installing foam padded grips!

Any pointers will be gratefully appreciated.
Patti

·
Registered
350 Posts
patti, first, I own a Burgman 650 , not the 400, but I'm assuming the handlebars and grips are the same. I also just replaced my grips with new foam grips and got help and advise from several in this forum.

As far as adhering the left grip, hair spray does the trick. Holds the grip tight but will be a lot easier to take it off later if you need to.

As for the throttle side. You aren't the only one who couldn't get the screw out of the bar end. It's like it's welded in. The only way I could get it off was to take strap wrench, tighten it down and just keep twisting the bar end. Eventually the whole thing came out. If you don't have a strap wrench, the suggestion was made to me to take a large pipe wrench but wrap a rag around the bar end so you don't scratch it up too much. Just keep twisting and pulling and it will come out.

As for replacing the bar ends, you don't have to. They are more or less just to limit vibration in the handlebars, but the foam grips cut the vibration to almost 0 by themselves. I didn't replace mine and they are great without the bar ends. This was also a suggestion by others on this forum. There is a wealth of good advise to be found here.

Good luck

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Grips

Thanks for the encouragement. I did manage to get the throttle screw off with a regular screwdriver. Then I decided to modify the new grips by taking them apart and installing the foam part OVER the original factory grips. I will then add the chrome end that is meant for the INSIDE end and install it on the outside end instead. The black factory ends will fit on top of that. I think it will look nice, but I hope it will work, too! I was wondering why those black ends were weighted.

Thanks for the advice on the hairspray. Would you believe I don't have any! As for getting the grips back onto the metal, I've seen recommendations for rubber lubricant. If I'm not wrong, this, too can be found in the health and beauty department!
Patti

·
Registered
350 Posts
Good luck Patti, sounds like you know what you're doing. Hope it turns out the way you want.

No hair spray? :oops:

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Close, but No cigar!

The opening in the chrome end pieces was larger than the black endcaps, so the chrome pieces would fall off. I suppose I could have gotten some kind of washer, or maybe wider endpieces, but after I heard about the Kuryakin grips, I decided to put the old grips back on and do some more research. I really like the Kuryakin grips, Throttle Boss and Vista Cruise Control combo.

Can someone please give me all 3 of the model #'s of these "tried and true" products?

Has anyone tried the universal Kuryakin grips that fit over the OEM grips?

I'm glad I didn't damage my original grips.
Patti

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Buzz said:
Good luck Patti, sounds like you know what you're doing. Hope it turns out the way you want.

No hair spray? :oops:
Yeah - but who needs it we've got rubber lubricant! :lol: :lol:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts