Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

Installing Givi Monokey Rack on a 400

4K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  NormanB 
#1 ·
As per the title really, just added a new album in my area in the gallery, with a few pictures that add to the Givi instructions, so it is not comprehensive just supplementary. It is on page 2 of my area.

The usual caveat applies this is on a 2000 model so use commonsense and the Mk1 eyeball before attempting work on your beloved mount - or your bike :wink:

Have fun.

#3 ·
Hi Norman,

I have 2 or 3 questions for you if I may .......

I does the instruction on fitting a Givi rack work on a 650 without the factory back rest - ie what about holes and support under the plastic ??

I think that was 2-3 questions in 1 !!

As a newbie here - how do I get to your gallery to see the pictures ??

Thannks for the help in advance,

Victor

PS I have a factory manual on order - should be here in about 10 days.

#4 ·
BCbikeGuy said:
I does the instruction on fitting a Givi rack work on a 650 without the factory back rest - ie what about holes and support under the plastic ??
There's a good photo walk-thru of installing the Givi rack on a 650 at :

http://burgmanusa.com/gallery/Givi-Mount-Install/

BCbikeGuy said:
As a newbie here - how do I get to your gallery to see the pictures ??
There's a link to Norman's gallery in the signature in every one of Norman's posts. Just click the link Norm's Pics.

#5 ·
Thanks Bill,

The info about the GIvi rack is very useful - my rack should be here in about a week (maybe add a few days because of Easter and I will use the info to install.

Also thanks for help with navigating the Galleries - it will take a bit of getting used to but I think I'm getting there,

Victor

#6 ·
I just put a Givi on my 400 yesterday. Instructions from them are never very good. They have bike specific photos (good) and tell you what to remove, but don't tell you how to remove it (bad). You have to not be afraid to start pulling things apart and drilling/cutting body parts. There is a body colored piece of plastic on the front side of the 400s backrest that needs to be removed to tighten the lower bracket bolts. They don't mention this in the instructions at all.

The really nasty part was that NONE of the holes in the mounting plate aligned with holes in the brackets. I had to drill 4 new holes in the brackets, but I made it work. I wish the topbox sat farther forward, so that the Givi optional backrest (I was reusing the box from my previous bike) was actually usable. Also, I assumed I'd get the brakelight wiring, but I didn't. And I can't find a separate part number for it on any retailers sites.

I have the BIG 52 litre box, and you feel it's high weight a bit at stops, but it doesn't seem to effect stability. And it's gorgeous.

Dale Hazelton

#7 ·
Hi Dale,

Thanks for that info. I am also hoping to use the backrest on my topcase (also from my last bike) so hopefully we can make it work. My wife will not go on a bike without a backrest - not for comfort but because she is nervous. Many years ago she fell off the back of a bike which had a tire blow out and she is still afraid this may happen again.

As far as the wiring goes - you may be able to find it on Givi's site ?? The Canadian importer has quite a lot of info but is a bit hard to navigate.

Go to

http://www.importationsthibault.com/

and then choose "English" - then to the scooter catalogue and then search for Givi etc. etc. - you may find the info there.

Good luck,

Victor

#8 ·
dalehazelton said:
snipped The really nasty part was that NONE of the holes in the mounting plate aligned with holes in the brackets. I had to drill 4 new holes in the brackets, but I made it work. I wish the topbox sat farther forward, so that the Givi optional backrest (I was reusing the box from my previous bike) was actually usable. Also, I assumed I'd get the brakelight wiring, but I didn't. And I can't find a separate part number for it on any retailers sites.

I have the BIG 52 litre box, and you feel it's high weight a bit at stops, but it doesn't seem to effect stability. And it's gorgeous.

Dale Hazelton
I hate to say this - but I reckon you have fouled up big style here - Big Style! You have either ordered the wrong parts AND/OR you have fouled up on the fitting. :shock:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.