Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friends - When I bought Moonpie I also ordered the passenger backrest. I have it ready to go but I have been a little bit reluctant to install it. Have any of you performed this operation? I'd like to know what special tools I would need to have and how "tricky" it is to do. The instructions are a bit sketchy. TIA - Peet.

·
Registered
30,277 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
I did it and I'm ham-fisted. It's pretty hard to botch. Just get a big enough drill bit.

Steve

·
Registered
611 Posts
It was very simple. Learning how to remove the plastic bodywork was the hardest thing. The tail cover has marks where to drill, just put making tape on the outside (painted side) to help keep it from chipping. If it does chip it's not a big deal because the backrest will cover it. :)

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
I just installed mine today. Instructions wanted me to use a 20mm hole saw, but I didn't have one. I used a 5/8" forstner drill bit for the two back holes, and a 3/4" forstner bit for the front. The marks on the underside of the upper panel don't quite line up with the threaded holes below. That's why the instructions want you to drill an oversized hole, and why I drilled a larger one at the front. I used a drill press. It could probably be done with a hand held drill.

You've got to remove the lower rear panel first. Two fasteners on the ends of the bottom edge. Push in the center of each (I used the tip of a philips screwdriver) until you hear a click, then pull them out with fingernails. Tug down on each side of that panel to remove it.

The upper panel has two fasteners under the seat's rear edge, and two fasteners will be revealed on the lower back edge when you remove the lower panel. Keep track of which fastener goes where. They are all different sizes. Tug back on the upper panel and it should come free easily.

Once holes are drilled, reinstall both panels in reverse order.

Install rubber gromets into large holes in sides of metal frame.

Put rubber gasket down over holes. Install metal frame through gasket and top panel. Fasten with enclosed bolts. Requires a 6mm allen wrench.

Install slip-nuts on plastic cover. Fasten cover to frame using the encluded screws. be sure the bottom edge is tucked into the gasket.

Install narrow plastic front cover. Make sure bottom edge is tucked into gasket. Fasten with included fasteners through front holes.

Install pad. Slip top edge down over metal clip on frame, then push lower edge back until lower tabs lock into frame.

You're done. Put all tools away. Clean up any mess. Climb aboard and see how it feels.

Dave B.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts