Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess its time for change on this here burgman. Since its more of a show/cruiser than a tourer. Im adding a pair of 17inch custom wheels i've had hanging on the wall from a Hayabusa.... The front wheel is gonna be a easy fit. Im upgrading the braking system to 6 piston calipers per side and a 4 piston on the rear....This is what happens when i get bored....

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
Spinners? Really? If you do mount spinners I'd be keen to know how the bike handles in side winds. With the Burgman's propensity of being knocked around in the wind the upgraded wheels could acerbate the existing issue.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Very cool mod.....BUT when it starts looking like this - post a bunch of pics and also "how to do's"............. :thumbup:

Attachments

·
Registered
412 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,516 Posts
It is a 'slightly' modified Honda Ruckus.......
as a former Ruckster myself, I still follow
the Ruckus websites.

·
Registered
806 Posts
In regards to larger wheels, I'm reading "Proficient Motorcycling" by David Hough. It's primarily about counter-steering and emergency stopping. An excellent book by the way. He never mentions how smaller or larger wheels effect counter-steering. I have not ridden a large motorcycle in forty years and have nothing to judge it by. But when I just barely push one side of the handle bar on my 650 the scoot immediately starts to fall in that direction. Are motorcycles with larger wheels so sensitive? I assume rake angle has a lot to do with it. What is the rake angle on a Burgman 650.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i dont know the actual angle.. This burgman is getting the bigger wheels for show..Not for performance at all.....ITs getting an upgraded braking system as well.....6 piston calipers in frotn and 2 pistons in the rear...

·
Premium Member
6,061 Posts
I can't believe what I'm seeing in this photo:

1) Apparently you are converting it to a chain drive.
2) That you've gone this far and haven't upgraded the suspension!

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Colchicine said:
I can't believe what I'm seeing in this photo:

1) Apparently you are converting it to a chain drive.
2) That you've gone this far and haven't upgraded the suspension!
He said show bike not go bike. :D

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
v8eyedoc said:
Very cool mod.....BUT when it starts looking like this - post a bunch of pics and also "how to do's"............. :thumbup:
I believe the pic of the scoot with the big tire is a Honda Rukus...

the 17 inch mod is interesting...

·
Premium Member
1,761 Posts
I think I recognize those speakers. Featherweight, is this you?

[youtube:11ejpawk]EtLoNNt67V0&feature[/youtube:11ejpawk]

I love the color of your bike...

Interested if you are converting to chain drive. Not something I'd personally do (don't have the time), but I wish mine had lighter unsprung weight sometimes. You're not doing it for performance reasons - only to get a 17" rear on, right?

·
Premium Member
1,761 Posts
Marv said:
... when I just barely push one side of the handle bar on my 650 the scoot immediately starts to fall in that direction. Are motorcycles with larger wheels so sensitive? I assume rake angle has a lot to do with it. What is the rake angle on a Burgman 650.
First, the rake is 26 degrees. Very similar to sport touring bikes. Not as steep as sport bikes, but steeper than cruisers. What we have in the AN650 is very unique - sport tour rake and trail with cruiser seating position. It's what really attracted me to the Burgman - I find sport tours too cramped for my frame, but I want the handling.

Second, I don't believe larger diameter tires will turn in as quick (given similar rake). My XR650L has similar rake, but it has a 21 inch front tire. The bike is 200 pounds lighter and top heavy, so it's a poor comparison but it turns in slower. Even with wider handlebars, it takes more countersteer and effort to initiate a turn than my AN650 does. The gyroscopic forces on that 21" front tire are noticeable. But, it's also what keeps the bike running true in poor terrain.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
MJR - Hagon's are under deep consideration....only for load reasons....

rustnail<sp> - Thats my customer....thats not me...... IF u look in the background of that video... You will se another flip flop color Burgy6.. I made some custom Glass Wheels for that one.....$5000.00....Dont judge me...Im the only one making them :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Featherweight said:
I understand. I used to build concept show cars. I like the way the 17" seems to fit in front. I really think the Burgman could benefit from having larger wheels. A little less apt to get swallowed in a pothole. Nice work on the swing arm. Belt drive should make it a bit quieter running down the road but it won't see much of that probably.

·
Premium Member
1,761 Posts
Featherweight said:

rustnail<sp> - Thats my customer....thats not me...... IF u look in the background of that video... You will se another flip flop color Burgy6.. I made some custom Glass Wheels for that one.....$5000.00....Dont judge me...Im the only one making them :thumbup:
I think, just like the Japanese customs, the amount of customization is cool. Not the route I'd go (I'd go for performance and handling) - but I can appreciate something like that. I'm not judging you. :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts