Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed new roller wieghts 2613-20g
since i did this i have alot of rattling noise comming from the variator could the wieghts be to heavy or is it something else i need to look for ,if anyone has any ideas please by all means throw them my way thank you

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
My guess is that you didn't hold the moveable plate in tight when you slid the variator on the shaft, and one (or more) weights rotated.

Chris

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yup 3 of the weights were out of place didnt know u had to hold that plate in place :( :( i had 2613 20 g in there should i drop to a lower weight or keep the same 20 looks like i'll have to buy some new ones not sure those should go back in

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
You live in Florida, so 20g might work just fine for you. I like 19g. It takes a little off the acceleration, but I don't race the bike and never notice it. I do notice my gas mileage though and that means more to me than racing from one stoplight to another.

I doubt you've ruined those DPS weights unless they are chewed up. Just remember to hold the moveable plate tight against them as you fit it on the spline. At some point, you can't keep your fingers on it, so just be gentle so as not to dislodge anything.

Chris

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well i dont race mine either i got it for saving money .money is tight these days i order 2613-18 i'll run those for awhile and see i could'nt tell what was in there they were 26-13 i assume they were put there at some point and time since the bike i bought it with 27 k on it and i doubt it was the original ones in there thnx Chris

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
According to your info, you have a pre 2007 Burg 400. I believe the variators on these may have some roughness on the outer edge of the plate(cliffyk and daboo have some pretty good pictures). You might give this a little touch up with some 600 grit emory cloth. It'll help keep your weights pristine. I'm using the 20g sliders and have found them acceptable. If you went with the 19G (or even 18G) weights, I don't think you would notice much, if any, difference in RPM while riding at steady speed. During acceleration, I find that the tach will wind up to about 5.5K whereas it used to hit 6.5K+ with the OEM 19G weights. MY mpg has gone up about 5%. While the mpg improvement is nice, it would hardly justify the expense of the weights. I got them to drop the RPM at cruise since I expect this to be a realtively high mileage (100K or so) bike before I'm done.

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
I'm running 18g weights in mine, and in Fl.

Since switching from the standard I have noticed a difference in acceleration ( a different curve, with the large flat spot around 4Krpm gone, which is what I was looking to achieve. Now I have a much smaller one at 5k).

As far as MPG, I have noticed little to no difference. Was in the low 50's before, am in the low 50's now. Most riding is on a 17mile round-trip commute, with about a mile or so in heavy traffic.

I have noticed a drop in top-end speed, but it still goes as fast as I'll ever need, so I'm happy overall.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes the cover plate that goes over the weights i took my dremmel and smooth the edges out no more sharp edge so we'll see where that goes i also had to replace the 2 seals when i order them i didnt pay attention n order only 1 so im now waiting on the other the seals were pretty easy to get out after i put it all back together this weekend ill let everyone that has helped how it went i really do appreciate all the info

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
okay replaced runs good on that end now just need to replace the clutch shoes another project lol not sure i guess iam doing this to have a 2nd bike ive done decided to break down and get me a newer burgie the 1st of the yr not sure if it's going to be a new 400 or 650thank you for all the help God Bless

1 - 10 of 10 Posts