Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

I just installed a set of LED driving lights on my 05 burg 650. They look really good however I wish they operated as well as they look. Issue being that as soon as I fire up the engine the lights flicker. The faster I rev the engine the more they flicker. The lights act as if they are running on an AC current. That said... I'm wondering if need to install a bridge rectifier between the power source and the lights.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I bet Dave_J will be able to help.

·
Administrator
17,687 Posts
Tahoe, where did you ground them to? Not to the chasses or frame I hope. If so run a wire from the batterys negitive post to test.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tahoe, where did you ground them to? Not to the chasses or frame I hope. If so run a wire from the batterys negitive post to test.
Yes I did tie neg. lead to frame. Can you enlighten me as to why this is improper??

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Yes I did tie neg. lead to frame. Can you enlighten me as to why this is improper??
It makes the lights flicker. ;)
You don't always get a good connection. The bikes DC is a pretty well-filtered supply so an extra bridge is redundant.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It makes the lights flicker. ;)
You don't always get a good connection. The bikes DC is a pretty well-filtered supply so an extra bridge is redundant.
The ground to frame is solid and making excellent connection. What I called a flicker is more of a pulse. The lights burn nice and steady untill I fire up the engine. Once started the lights pulse as if drawing current from only one side of the stator. However I'm drawing power from the low beam feed.

·
Administrator
17,687 Posts
Every circuit on a Burgman has a return ground wire. No chassis grounding. The engine is rubber mounted and as it vibrates it moves. This may cause a pulsing open ground

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There is a group of black with white strip wires factory banded together and the plug end has a cap over it. I'm assuming being black they are system grounds. Do you think that would work as well as tying to the battery neg.??

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Every circuit on a Burgman has a return ground wire. No chassis grounding.
Being "old school" everything grounded to the frame. I never considered that I might be dealing with an isolated system. THANKS for steering me in the proper direction.

·
Administrator
17,687 Posts
Yes, I think all those Black/white wires are a common ground pickup point.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I told ya Dave_J would bring non flickering light to your world.
We need to send him to the other Washington on the East Coast
and have him do some re-wiring.

·
Registered
539 Posts
There is a group of black with white strip wires factory banded together and the plug end has a cap over it. I'm assuming being black they are system grounds. Do you think that would work as well as tying to the battery neg.??
As the bretheren say run a neg from the battery to the headstock and link to that

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well.... The bundle of black w/ white wires with the covered socket was actually a junction point for the system ground. I was able to make a "plug" to tap into that covered female socket and forego splicing into the harness. No more strobe lights.... HOORAY!!!!

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Looking Mighty-Fine Tahoe King !

1 - 20 of 21 Posts