Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's that time of year when I make one of the last prep actions to get my Burgman ready for winter riding. While I don't like the looks of riding with handlebar muffs, I can't complain on how effective they are. I've ridden down to the mid-teens (when it wasn't snowing or icy) and I commonly ride in that 35-40 F range when it is raining as well as cold. And I've never needed any heated grips or gloves with these.

The first thing to do, is some prep work. The muffs I use (made by Duck's Unlimited), had a tendency to be pushed back against the brake levers. I made some "L" shaped levers from old scrap metal. I used duct tape to cover the sharp edges. You could do this a lot more professionally, but it worked. You can see where they are attached using the screws for the handlebar weights.

The next thing, is to block off the cold air coming in. Air gets sucked in from the center of the handlebars and flows up into the openings at the handlebar controls. It may seem intuitive, but it wasn't for me. I installed them the first year as they came from the store and still found my hands getting cold. You can see some of the openings in the pics below.

I then got the idea to stuff the area with some old rags. Kirkland brand underwear makes a good source of rags for all kinds of things, and works well here. :lol:

As just a reminder, when you're poking the rag into the open areas, be careful where you're poking. Also, on the right handlebar, make sure the throttle isn't jammed so it can move freely.

When I'm done stuffing the opening in the handlebars, I then cover that with duct tape. Again, the idea is to do whatever I can to cut any air from coming inside the muffs as I'm riding. You can see the first piece of duct tape to cover the opening. While it is nice to do things neatly, if you don't, no one will know. The area will be covered with the muffs.

When you finish blocking off all the cold air openings, slip on the muffs and tighten them down. You can sort of see the muff covering the duct tape in these two pics. Also, note in the first photo how I cut a hole in the top of the muff to allow them to be pulled over the mirror mounts.

When they are positioned where you want them, then seal the area now on the outside with ...yes!...duct tape.

One tip...if you end up parking out in the rain a lot, you may want to carry along something like these clothes pins to close the opening so they don't soak up a lot of rain.

They aren't the prettiest accessory you can install on your Burgman, but they work. If you can cut off the air flowing into the gloves, you find your hands will be considerably warmer...and drier.

Chris

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Muffs and an apron that covers your boots, legs and torso up to your waist make a huge difference in cold weather comfort.

I had an apron on my Guzzi California that were like lined chaps with extra padding at the knees, which really helped keep the knees warm. It looked awful, but form follows function.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts