Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Suzuki Burgman 650 ABS
4,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is on my 2013 Burgman 650 so any information here may differ for other scooter models.

I've decided to no longer use a dedicated GPS for my travels and rely on using my Pixel 2 XL smartphone with Google Maps. I know about the many apps available to make it more "like" a dedicated GPS device but have found through local testing that I really don't need all the extras and can do what I need to do in Google Maps. My phone is also water resistant to the IP67 standard so with it sitting behind and under the wind shield poses no issues in rain for me.

I recently bought the MOTOPOWER MP0619 Bike Motorcycle Cell Phone Mount Holder from AliExpress. It took twice the time they promised to arrive (that's another story) but it did finally show up. I wanted this particular phone holder since the RAM X-Grip with only 4 holding pins would likely have landed one of those holding pins right on either the power button or volume button. I was able to figure out that this particular holder, with the 2 extra holding pins for the end of the phone, would not be pressing on any buttons on my phone (as seen in a few of the last photos in this post).
MOTOPOWER MP0619 Bike Motorcycle Cell Phone Mount Holder

I also bought a RAM ball with diamond base mount. My intention was to install it top center on the dash so my navigation will be in sight without taking my eyes off the road. This is MY favorite location for any navigation device, and I've tried many other locations (handlebar offset to one side, upper triple tree down on the handle bar clamp, etc.).

I wanted to have power for the phone but didn't want to bother with a dedicated circuit since there is a really handy 12v socket in the bigger glove box that I was able to figure out how to get to. I also didn't want that power to be always connected when I didn't have the phone mounted in the holder. I use a 12v plug with dual USB ports in it that can put out 2.1 amps in BOTH USB ports at the same time.

Here are the items I used in this install:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/JmLa797aUUmDJmy88
https://photos.app.goo.gl/7oVb2fv5Hp4FMmrbA

The phone holder is in the upper left. The RAM ball mount is upper right. I cut a bit of vinyl tub liner material I had on hand to use under the RAM ball mount on top the dash just to help dampen shocks a little and provide added protection from rubbing if there is any movement at all. The large washers will go under the dash plastic to provide extra stability of and to firm up the plastic in that location. They do work rather well. I used lock nuts with nylon inserts since I'm not likely to take this area apart again if I can avoid it. All bolts, nuts and washers are stainless. I would have preferred to use metric fasteners but the local Lowe's didn't have the same kind of metric stainless lock nuts on hand and the metric stainless bolts were a bit on the short side. No matter, my 10mm socket open ended wrench still fits these nuts and a Philips screw driver still fits the bolt head. The grommets are not actually to seal the holes where the power cord goes through from weather but instead are more about keeping the ends of the phone cord from slipping back through to where I cannot retrieve them. I used a 1/2 inch drill bit for the panel holes that these grommets perfectly fit into after stretching them over the smaller end of my cord. I also found on Amazon those USB C connector caps from Cozy that I'll put on the end of the cord that is exposed when not plugged into the phone. The phone cord I have is from AmazonBasics and is a 3 ft cord with USB A to USB C connectors (which is what my phone uses). I also have a 6 ft cord but didn't need that long for this application.

Taking the panels off to provide access where I needed was a learning experience. I did end up breaking off a very small tab on one end of the Meter Front Upper Panel and bent another. I needed to remove that panel to drill mounting holes for the RAM ball base. I usually hesitate to drill any panels until I obsess about it and go over and over about where I have to drill. Here are some pics about removing that panel and making sure there is space under it for the mounting bolts as I was intending.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/GR5zykkNdvL6SEnB8
https://photos.app.goo.gl/R9Zd3GZDB3Jw35X98

I forgot to get photos of the actual holes after drilling and the underside after mounting the RAM ball. Oh well, don't plan to open that back up to do so...

I drilled a hole for the cord/grommet in the very "front" right corner of the big glove box and ran the cord with one grommet through it. This photo shows that from inside the glove box along with the 12v USB socket plug that have. I guess the top of the glove box is still clean and shows a reflection of the cord and socket plug :)
https://photos.app.goo.gl/xMBn9SCVM2iuyKYk9

This next pic shows what is just in front of the very right end of the glove box and where/how I routed the phone cord. There was a factory cable clamp just off the upper left corner of the photo that put my cord through.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/4foSCBTEVACbbDE1A

Here you can see where I drilled the second hole in the Meter Rear Panel. I could have used the vent slots in the other panel on top but didn't want the phone cord to run too close the windshield adjuster mechanics where it could become pinched or cut. This routing keeps it away from there. In the lower center of the photo you can just make out the factory cable clamp I used if you follow the white phone cord down. Also, in this photo you easily see how the grommets I used don't block much weather, but they do very well at the intended purpose of keeping the phone cord connector end from passing back through.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/tD3KCWwuEvejRBBb7

With the RAM ball base mounted and the phone cord routed I replaced all the panels. While I had the windshield off I took the opportunity to clean it in places that would never get cleaned otherwise. Now to wait for a nice warmer day to wash the rest of the scoot.

Here are a few more photos of the completed project. I am still thinking about what I want to do with the phone cord when the phone is not mounted. Maybe glue a mounting pad in the left top of the Meter Rear Panel? For now I'll simply use a Velcro strip to hold it to the RAM ball stem. I know the white phone cord stands out. I would have preferred a black cord so it wasn't quite so obvious but at least white matches my white scooter :)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Mt4kQfxD8zRYciBb6
https://photos.app.goo.gl/pahEd3B4zk5TkuV26
https://photos.app.goo.gl/fp63EjA81u9kPBYk6
https://photos.app.goo.gl/TU2rPctr5f2QYrCz8

Also added the photos as attachments but could not attach the last photo since max file size limit reached but the photo links still work.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Nice idea. Could also run an app and use the camera as a dashcam too (though last time I tried they drained the battery quicker than I could charge it).

I was too lazy and just used ultra extra heavy duty double sided tape to mount a GoPro holder in that spot and use it as a dashcam. I have the X-Grip on my brake reservoir with arm just coming in a little for the phone, so still pretty easy to see (but not as easy as your install).

Only reason to look at other navigation apps is if you are out of cell coverage and it uses a local map versus trying to download, though with forward planning you can download areas on Google maps as well if you suspect no coverage. I rarely ever need to use it, but I use Sygic as my offline navigation.

·
Registered
5,165 Posts
As a dedicated user of dedicated GPS units, I'll stay out of that endless argument but I will say that is a nice clean mounting that the OP has put together. My only concern would be how close the top of the unit/mount is to the windshield. When you get buffeting and the windshield is moving about, I hope it doesn't tap against the top of the cellphone.

Oh, as an aside, I'll be on the most remote road in eastern North American in another 6 or 7 weeks, where it's roughly 500 miles between cellphone towers and only one gas station between the two. Not a single other thing except bush along the way. I even have to have extra gas with me or I can't make the distance between fuel stops. Mind you, as there is only a single paved road it's impossible to get lost even with no navigation help! :grin

·
Registered
280 Posts
I've crossed the US a few times before there was GPS or Google maps. Even before some of the great interstate hiways were complete. Sometimes I had a map, sometimes not. It didn't seem to matter- I just followed the signs. Often there was construction or other diversions that wouldn't show on a map anyway.

I would need a map or detailed instructions to find someone's house in a city where I've never been. Easily managed locally or by printing a Google map before leaving home. But mostly I was just exploring. If I got lost, all the better- I would discover things that map followers would miss.

I'm planning a trip up hiway 1 on the West coast, maybe to Alaska. Planning? Not really- mostly setting some time aside. I don't expect to get lost. Just go N and stick to the coastal cities. Maybe see my brother in Seattle. Visit quaint fishing and logging towns. There are sections of road in the redwood forests where traffic is down to two lanes through the twisty turns and there's no place to pass or pull off to the side. You can't see more than 3 car lengths ahead. You alternate between moments of dense dark forest and bright sunny coastal cliffs, always weaving left and right, in and out. No service station, no restaurant, no cell towers… Traffic is heavy, slow and tight. A single stuck vehicle can stop traffic for many miles, many hours. But on a scooter; no problem, just pull in your mirrors and squeeze thru. And drive off the road if you feel like it. The scenery along the way is breathtaking.

My car has GPS which I've never used. Never needed. Am I missing something? I understand that some people have trouble understanding maps, but I imagine I'd have trouble understanding a moving map on a small screen while I'm trying to navigate the roadways.

·
Registered
5,165 Posts
I've crossed the US a few times before there was GPS or Google maps. Even before some of the great interstate hiways were complete. Sometimes I had a map, sometimes not. It didn't seem to matter- I just followed the signs. Often there was construction or other diversions that wouldn't show on a map anyway....

....Am I missing something? I understand that some people have trouble understanding maps, but I imagine I'd have trouble understanding a moving map on a small screen while I'm trying to navigate the roadways.
LOL, I've crossed North America quite a few times with nothing more than an AAA/CAA Triptik strip map. Geez I miss those on the seat beside me. What I find funny with my GPS is people always asking me why my map doesn't rotate so that your direction of travel is always towards the top. Funny me has my GPSs set to North at the top. Wonder why? LOL!!! :laugh

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Clean install. 2 thumbs up.

One [stupid] question, from a 400 pilot/owner...does the 650 have the windshield "nostril" like the 400? There's a small scoop/opening on between the headlights at the base of the windshield on the 400. The "nostril" directs airflow up under the windshield, not a lot, but I've had to clean bug smears and water spots off the "inside" of the windshield.

·
Administrator
22,097 Posts
Clean install. 2 thumbs up.

One [stupid] question, from a 400 pilot/owner...does the 650 have the windshield "nostril" like the 400? There's a small scoop/opening on between the headlights at the base of the windshield on the 400. The "nostril" directs airflow up under the windshield, not a lot, but I've had to clean bug smears and water spots off the "inside" of the windshield.
Some what. And the factory windshield does not seal off at the bottom as much as a GIVI. (and yes my turn signals are on all the time the bike is running.)
Land vehicle Headlamp Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Thanks Dave. That's my only concern of doing a similar installation on the 400 and getting caught in rain with the phone getting wet.

I love that blue of the 03 650s.

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
To answer all here:

@ozjeff - Part of my install included running a permanently mounted power cord from the big glove box to my phone location so I'll never have to worry about not having enough power. One of the photos included shows inside the right side of the big glove box where I have that cord coming in and plugged into a dual USB adapter in the 12v socket. It's a 2.1 amp adapter so I have plenty of power for the biggest phones. I also have a good amount of memory in my phone so I can download area maps with no issues. I also was thinking I'd see how it works recording video.

@Steve_YYZ - The shield is actually closer to the ball (1/2 inch away) than the mount since the mount extends to the rear. There is plenty of space between the ball/mount and windshield. I've been in some rather high winds and heavy turbulence since installing this (though not yet with the phone mounted) and the shield doesn't flex enough to come close. Besides, if it did flex that much it would hit the mount arms and not the phone. But I have no worries about that. The side photo showing the phone mounted is deceptive due to the curve of the shield but if you look close you might be able to see there is enough space to spare. And I'm with @jabberwock in that I study an area I'll be traveling through enough to be familiar with the major roads through it. If I don't get a good display to follow on my phone it's really no big deal to me. I've been traveling for many years before GPS became common or even available and had no problem getting to where I was going. I can follow a GPS, or a paper map, or just information passed down from others about how to get someplace far away and I usually don't get "lost" but just end up on little adventures along the way :)

@JRoss - As Dave_J said there is an opening at the bottom between the shield and the front plastic. In fact my shield does not touch the body of the bike anywhere but is mounted on the brackets for the shield adjustment slides. This is to allow air flow along the back side of the shield to relieve back pressure that causes most of the buffeting that beats you up. It also is required to be mounted that way so the shield can electrically adjust up and down (only difference between my B650 and the Executive is the heated grips and seat). I also notice water on the back side of the shield but most of that is what comes around the edge at the top and sides but some from the bottom. I haven't notice many bugs coming up from the bottom yet, but haven't really been riding when bugs are heavy yet either... at least this time around.

My phone has the same intrusion protection rating as my last dedicated motorcycle GPS unit at IP67 (first number is for solids intrusion like dust and second number is for moisture intrusion like sitting 1 meter deep in water for a half hour). I had that GPS unit in some really torrential rains and even was riding with it mounted when I was unknowingly within 5 miles of a tornado. (I did notice the signs in the sky for it so pulled into a gas station for cover before I got to it). So I'm not really worried about a little water mist or rain on the phone. My GPS unit was mounted on the clutch reservoir so more out in the weather. THIS mount is behind and under the shield so more protected even with the air gap from the bottom of the shield. My next phone, when I get around to replacing this one, will have an even better IP rating. More like IP68 or better. The only issue is that when it does rain heavy the power connection may possibly not work since that is outside the water protection layer of the phone. But I don't worry about that either since I have used my phone in navigation mode for a continuous 4 hours or more on just battery power. My phone has long battery life. I had certain requirements when I bought this phone, having high water resistance was one of those requirements :)

Oh, and I finally decided what to do with the power cord when I don't have the phone mounted. I placed a cord management pad on the left side up under the top of the dash to hold the end from just flopping around. I think it works really well.
-

Attachments

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Attended a motorcycle camping trip event put on by the ST-Owners forum members in Spring Green, WI. One of a few dozen such events all over the USA and I think also other countries. Loaded up the Burgman and used my phone as the GPS. The mount worked perfectly. There was a bit of shaking on rough roads but I've had the same result with my Garmin GPS in years past on other bikes so a non-issue there for me. Was able to follow the navigation and listen to the turn by turn prompts just as intended. The mount held the phone with plenty of space between the top of the phone gripper and the shield. Not even close there really. There was some drizzle on parts of the trip but since my phone has the same IP67 rating as my former mc GPS unit that also was a non-issue. Ended up with LOTS of bug stikes, some significant sized, all over the front of the scoot but not a single bug on the back side (facing front) of my phone nor the mount or RAM ball set up. And some of the trip I had the shield set up higher due to some cooler temps and that drizzle which leaves a bit more space for anything to find its way behind the shield from the front.

And BTW- about 90% of the riding was at county highway speeds accounting for lots of sharp curves :grin so 45-55+ mph and I ended up with most tanks running 56-58 mpg and one short tank (only needed 1/2 tank to top it off for the next day) at 64+ mpg. Many fun curves were posted for recommended 30-40 mph but who does that on a motorcycle :grin :grin
There was really only one curve posted for 25 mph that I let my speed drop to 30 simply because it was a blind curve on a new to me road.

Here's a link to a few photos of that event: https://photos.app.goo.gl/gx2ZJLAwU1E8spmP7

-

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Where is this road that you speak of?
Asking me? Which referenced road are you asking about?
In my previous post I was mostly referring to roads all over SW Wisconsin and there are also many similar roads all over NE Iowa. Many allow a faster speed but curves generally are slower if they are sharp. I am a conservative rider so don't attack curves the way sport bikers do. But I do scrape the center stand pads on occasion and come very close other times.

·
Premium Member
4,140 Posts
Hey rjs987 now after a year would you change anything ?

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey rjs987 now after a year would you change anything ?
No, I wouldn't change a thing. Getting ready to use it again for a moto riding/camping trip to Wisconsin with the ST-Owners group at Spring Green, WI. I think the most important thing for me is still that my phone has the very same water intrusion resistance as any dedicated GPS unit, Garmin or Tom Tom, at IP68. I have a Google Pixel 4 phone. Everything works as expected with the RAM mount and phone holder and the power cord is great.

·
Registered
05 650
200 Posts
This is on my 2013 Burgman 650 so any information here may differ for other scooter models.
Thanks for posting this. Provides some inspiration for me. From the pics of the trip, looks like good times were had.

·
Registered
49 Posts
When I got out of the Navy in 67 and drove back from California to Virginia I used the sun. Raises in the east and set in the West. So all I needed to know was if it was morning or evening and also approximately mid-day. Great road trip and I took about 4 or 5 weeks to complete because I did not need to be anywhere at any set time.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
One interesting bit is that there was an OEM bracket for a GPS back in the old days.

It was a bent and stamped piece of sheet metal mounted to the top of the handlebar clamp, with flanges extending up through slots (that would need to be cut) in the aft handlebar cover piece.

If I had a spare set of handlebar shrouds, I'd consider hacking one set to accommodate a replica of that bracket.

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
On my 2005 Burgman 650 I did install a home made bracket to the handlebar cover. It was actually one I had made for my Gold Wing that I owned previous to that Burgman in the same location and could swivel up and down or forward and back. I have since decided that was one of the worst locations for a screen that you would be looking at even if only sometimes since it requires that you take your eyes totally off the road to see the screen... a lot more than simply glancing at the gauges even. Plus, you eyes would have to change focus a lot more and would then take a bit of time to refocus on the road ahead. On my ST1100 that I owned just after that Burgman I mounted the GPS to a bar I added on top the dash in the same location as the one I added in this thread. That was the best location so far since I could see both the Navigation and the road at the same time so no taking the eyes off the road to see the map and not nearly as much, if any, refocusing of the eyes. And the navigation mode in any GPS or Google Maps Navigate shows a more accurate current speed so I don't even need to look at the instruments unless I see an idiot light show up indicating something is wrong (very rare if ever). I've also mounted a GPS on the handlebars just next to the left reservoir and that was OK but not nearly as good as the location that is up front and center at the bottom of the windshield. Right or left side would be the same.

Now I see this on my device. Or at least very close to this. This screen shot is about 1.5 years old and there has been updates since. Lane assist now shows up in the upper left corner so I not only see which way to turn but what lane to be in for that turn. Same for multi-lane Interstate exits. The bar across the bottom is smaller but still very visible with better information. The icons on the right edge are now hidden but easily accessed by a pull up menu if really needed (don't need while moving so why be there). I get pop up warnings about speed traps and such with the option to update if that trap is still there. The map zooms in closer as I approach a turn to make it very clear where I need to be.

Reactions: Rusty J
1 - 20 of 28 Posts