Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to mount a Gerbing temperature controller "inside" the dash somewhere so I can plug in heated gloves easily. [attachment=1:1q7fgv3f]gerbingTemp.JPG[/attachment:1q7fgv3f] I think it could easily fit inside the plastic around the handlebars but that might not be the best place to put it. I'm thinking the nicest would be to have the controller knob inside the little compartments or perhaps just under the handlebars. I would put the jack [attachment=0:1q7fgv3f]gerbingplug.JPG[/attachment:1q7fgv3f] to plug the gloves into just under the handlebars. I don't have any idea how complicated it is to get to this space to run the wires, install the controller etc. Any thoughts about placement or how to "get there" would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Ray

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
I don't have any answers for vt sailor, but will piggyback another question on his. I have a Gerbing heated jacket and want to install a coax power socket just like the installed one in his photo. My controller is in line and clips to my belt, so all I need to install is the socket.

I was thinking of putting it under my left thigh (I'm a lefty) in the gray tupperware a couple of inches in front of the passenger footrest. I haven't had any of the tupperware off yet and have no idea what's under it, so suggestions will be very much appreciated.

I'm planning on doing the work as part of my 14k maintenance, since I'll have things apart anyway.

Thanks in advance,
Steve

·
Registered
2,838 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thanks for the tutorial TechArtGuy. I never would have thought of using a spade bit to drill through the tupperware -- I would have been afraid of things cracking. Now I'll use a spade bit and just take it slow.

BTW, the links in the tutorial no longer work, but I'm sure one of Mitch's videos will show me how to get the tupperware off.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
The nice thing about the black plastics are their lack of rigidity so makes putting holes in it with, erm, unconventional methods a bit easier. I fixed the links for the references in my tutorials section but I'm sure Mitch has a vid in his large archive.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I just wired up my 650 for Tourmaster Synergy gloves.
Lifted the seat.
I took off the battery top.
Ran the wires in from the left side where the two 40A fuses are to the battery. There is a wiring channel there.
Placed the 15A fuse for the gloves right beside the 40A fuses.
Tied off the strain relief to the 40A fuse holder bracket.
And tucked the lead wire in the small pocket like space below the fuses for when I am not using it.
Pull the wire out and loop it up to my waist when I need to use it. (Which will be the tomorrow morning commute by the looks of things.)

I have not seen how the 400 runs it's wires but, would it be similar?

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
The battery in the 400 sits in the left side of the glovebox compartment so any wiring to the batt is easiest done in the front of the bike.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I think people who consider heated gloves are hard core, and my hat (or helmet) goes off to them. :)
What is the minimum outside air temp that you will still fire up your scooter?

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
6F :lol:, Think that's been my all time low on both bikes. Though i don't just have the gloves, but vest and pant liners too. If it ain't icy or snowing I'm out there.

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My minimum is about 40 F at my house, colder than that and there's too much chance of ice on the way to work. I've ridden as low as 28 with ice on the edge of the road but never again. If there's ice I want four wheels on the ground.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
mike1nw said:
I think people who consider heated gloves are hard core, and my hat (or helmet) goes off to them. :)
Not always "hard core".........I happen to have Raynauds Syndrome where the circulation to fingers & toes is compromised as a result of constriction of the capillaries and get numb and turn bluish-white even at 68-70 degrees!! So - I have installed grip heaters on both my Burgy 400 and Goldwing GL1800 and.....almost always ride with some type of gloves. MINIMUM TEMP! Just to say that I did it....................I rode 20 miles in 8 degree temps.......!!

·
Registered
122 Posts
mike1nw said:
As long as there is not snow or ice on the streets, I too am out there.
-12F is lowest and on that day, I was going to take the car as there was a little ice here and there and a danger of frostbite for I had not yet discovered heated gear but, the battery was on it's 8th year and decided this was a good day to die.
I did not yet have a Burgman and my Honda Met fired right up. (Darn it!)
So, to work I froze, er, goes. :wink:

I survived. As I now have heated gear, ice and snow are the only limiting factors. My scooter IS my main transportation.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
In 1978 I rode from Tampa to Sarasota withs temps at 28F. This was my daily commute and I had just moved from CT. Thinking that FL would be balmy I didn't have any kind of cold weather gear. I was riding with thin gloves, a jacket and jeans. The last 20 minutes( of a 75 minute ride) I 'made' all the lights, never having to stop. When I pulled into the parking lot I couldn't straighten my legs and so I ended up doing an 'Artie Johnson'; Pulled up, stopped and fell over. At lunch I went out and got the warmest clothing I could find and, being in Florida, there wasn't much of a selection. 28F might not seem like much to hardy northerners but in these parts, most riders stop riding in the 40's. I'm still out there every day, commuting to work. Somewhat better equipped :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts