Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I want to install a gps power supply on my 400 like I did on my 650. I'd like to wire it to the back of the power socket so it will be switched with the ignition. My problem is getting to the back of the power supply.

Mitch's video shows removing virtually the entire front end to get to the battery. Seems like a lot of work. So, is there a way to remove just the front box, the lockable one, on the 400? I thought if I could just pull it out, I could gain access to the power socket.

Any suggestions or videos would be appreciated.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I thought about doing the same thing, but ended up coming directly off the batt instead of the power socket. Two reasons I ended up doing it that way. One, all I had to do was pull the dash trim piece to mount the plug and run the wires. I had to do some routing of the wires by reaching up from the lower front wheel area to get hold of the wires coming off the batt and push it up to the dash area. Second, I realized that I might want to run a portable air compressor and the one I have pulls enough amps that I thought it would blow the fuse on the existing circuit. Since I always remove my gps when I park, I wasn't really worried about draining the batt when the ignition was off. If you think you might want to go this route, just say so and I will try to get some photos of what I did.

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
Hi Liamjs, I use the socket for my gps.I connected a short (stubby) connector that has two receptacles attached on the other end into the cigarette lighter and then used velcro to stick the dual receptacles to the Batt box cover. Then the gps end of the wire was squeezed through the small space between the batt and the plastic around it to drop it into the front fairing area. It took a little while to get it snaked up to the handle bar well. I think I used a hangar with a hook fashion to it at one end and was able to pull it through. From there, after removing the handle bar cover all you have to do is draw it up either bar and zip tie it to the bar, leaving enough slack for turning the wheel. I tuck the connector end into the handle bar cover upside down, to avoid getting wet when not in use. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Liamjs, I use the socket for my gps.I connected a short (stubby) connector that has two receptacles attached on the other end into the cigarette lighter and then used velcro to stick the dual receptacles to the Batt box cover. Then the gps end of the wire was squeezed through the small space between the batt and the plastic around it to drop it into the front fairing area. It took a little while to get it snaked up to the handle bar well. I think I used a hangar with a hook fashion to it at one end and was able to pull it through. From there, after removing the handle bar cover all you have to do is draw it up either bar and zip tie it to the bar, leaving enough slack for turning the wheel. I tuck the connector end into the handle bar cover upside down, to avoid getting wet when not in use. Hope this helps.
I've been using the power socket and adapters for years and just had too many times when they got loose and lost power in the middle of leading a ride, sometimes with 40 bikes in tow (Not a good time to not know where you're going).

So I bought this for my 650

Amazon.com: EDO Tech® Ultra Compact Direct USB Hardwire Car Charger Cable Kit for Garmin GPS Nuvi StreetPilot, Great for Vehicle and Bike (no traffic receiver): GPS & Navigation

Install was easy as pie on that bike.

Now I want to do it on my 400 and getting to a power source seems a more tricky. Best options seem the power socket (preferred because it's switched) or the battery.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I got the Garmin zumo 350 and I use a regular USB adapter with a mini usb plugged into the GPS, the unit needs to be clamped in the motorcycle mount and will work just fine and you will save around 46 bucks.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got the Garmin zumo 350 and I use a regular USB adapter with a mini usb plugged into the GPS, the unit needs to be clamped in the motorcycle mount and will work just fine and you will save around 46 bucks.
Sorry, I'm too cheap for Zumos. I have two 1450s that have served me well. Problem with the USB charger is that the unit thinks its connected to computer and goes into a pairing mode that takes five minutes to boot up. Again, not optimal when you're leading a large group of bikes.

I watched Mitch's video again, guess I'll try to take off the front end. How hard could it be? (Famous last words).

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Sorry, I'm too cheap for Zumos. I have two 1450s that have served me well. Problem with the USB charger is that the unit thinks its connected to computer and goes into a pairing mode that takes five minutes to boot up. Again, not optimal when you're leading a large group of bikes.

I watched Mitch's video again, guess I'll try to take off the front end. How hard could it be? (Famous last words).
does it go in computer mode even when in the bike/car mount?

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Liamjs, I used the same cable that you linked to and taped(using a Posi-tap)into the hot wire of the low beam headlight.
Here's a link to Posi-tap http://www.posi-lock.com/posiplug.html I used the blue ones.

Here's a picture of what a Posi-tap looks like for anyone who may not know.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Okay, so I followed Micth's video to remove the front faring to a T. http://youtu.be/CEX3Vmc53Ek

I got down to the last machine screw and it would not budge, half stripped it in the process. So I looked around and I found this little white box in the upper left hand part of the dash.

View attachment 29602

It had what looked like battery terminals, so I tested it and sure enough there was power. So I used it instead of the power socket.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Continued from previous post...

View attachment 29610

My question, if I'm allowed another two, what is this box and will tapping a gps power cord off it damage anything?

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Looks like I connected it to the Starter Relay. Number 9 on this diagram.

View attachment 29626

Does anyone foresee any problems tapping some juice off this?

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Does anyone foresee any problems tapping some juice off this?
FYI, I had an electrical engineer at work look at the wiring schematic for the 400 and he said where I wired it to should not be a problem, the power cables come directly from the battery, so it's like tapping into the battery.

He did suggest installing an in-line fuse 2.5amps or less just in case there is a spike on startup.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts