Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have decided to buy Google's Nexus 7 tablet, especially now that they have dropped the price on the 16 gb model to $199.00 an have a new 32 gb mode
for $249.00. There is also a $299.00 version which 3g support but the only carrier offering simm cards in the US for it currently is T-Mobile.

I would love to hear from current owners as to what their experience has been like with the device.

I have no interest in apple products so resist the temptation to extol their values.

I will be paring the Nexus with a Palm Bluetooth keyboard that I have to extended use and possibly a Bluetooth mouse.

The only thing I wish the unit had was a micro sd card slot and it's a pity that the USB port isn't MHL compliant so one
could buy an adapter and connect it to a tv/monitor.

thanks.

ps: another worthy candidate is the ACER Iconia A110, has both and HDMI port and a micro-sd slot, but comes up short on the display resolution for me.

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
well, I think I am getting one, I am typing this from the store using my bluetooth keyboard, pretty cool.

this is going to be a very fun little gadget that can be a great daily tool...

picking one up on Monday.

have a bit of a learning curve ahead of me about Android and Jelly Beans...

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
I am strongly considering a "phablet"...the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 which may be available mid Nov. I too will be on that Jelly Bean learning curve. Good luck with your Nexus 7 LeDude. It's new toy season for sure.

LoJo

·
Registered
739 Posts
I keep getting pulled one way or the other on this.. For the last week I have been lusting after the new MS Surface tablet... The removable keyboard and resident "Office" program are what intersts me.. also the ability to use it as a "PC"and to print from it is attractive.. next week I might want an Ipad..

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I spent about two hours with the Nexus 7 and got a good sense of what it can and cannot do.

I love the small form factor, very usable and convenient... I think it will soon become my favorite everyday tool.

You can use a USB dongle to access a usb storage device, the 16 gb should be plenty for web surfing, browsing, reading
and doing basic computing chores...

my biggest worry was the small keyboard, the built-in one is Ok but for any kind of heavy duty typing, I will using my
Bluetooth keyboard and mouse.

I love my 11.6" laptops, they aer great, but the Nexus is so practical and so little that it just makes perfect sense
for my needs right now. I was thinking of the 32 gb version, but I think I will stick with the $199.00 16gb version
and get a good Bluetooth mouse for it.

I ran a lot of my DIYs on the nexus and they all worked flawlessly and all the videos played just as well... a small hitch with youtube annotations though.

Will post some pics and follow-ups once I get it. Can't wait...

I will have to send Bill Meek an e-mail, he was an early adopter and bought the 8gb model when it first came out.

Noth said:
I keep getting pulled one way or the other on this.. For the last week I have been lusting after the new MS Surface tablet... The removable keyboard and resident "Office" program are what intersts me.. also the ability to use it as a "PC"and to print from it is attractive.. next week I might want an Ipad..
the MS surface is a nice machine, but if I was getting one, I would skip the Win 8 RT version and wait for the full Win 8 surface to come out, that way you can run all of your old favorite software. The RT will not run any of the old applications that were designed for the Intel architecture.

Also at $500-700.00, you might as well get two, a 10 inch nexus and a 7 inch nexus...

the keyboard is not standard equipment, it costs $100.00 additional for the base model, but is bundled with the its big brother 64 gb model for $600.00

I do like the lid/keyboard idea on the surface... nice touch there...

I personally have enough desktops and laptops, I wasn't looking for a laptop replacement tablet...

You can do everything on the Android platform as far as basic computing goes etc...

·
Registered
739 Posts
I only have a desk top, and a little net book with one GGB.. running win XP and it is so slow ! Drives me crazy ! It gets overwhelmed if it is downloading an update..
I also have a Color NOOK ...It's OK.. but far from something I can browse on or really watch videos with..

·
Premium Member
8,152 Posts
:? :oops: whut??
how big are the wheels?

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
My son, an big Apple man now has a 16 GB Nexus and he loves it. Still Apple for business, but the Nexus (he states) is superior for a lot less money.

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
placed my order today with B&H, they had the best price online, and no tax and free standard shipping.

They had both units in stock, the 16 gb and the 32 gb. I opted for the $199.00 16gb unit. it will meet most of my needs.

You will have to call them to get the lower $199.00 price for the 16 gb unit, for some reason they have not updated their web site yet.

Can't wait for it to arrive.

MacMall/PcMall also has a great selection of both units in stock if you want instant gratification, their out the door price locally was $223.41.

I am guessing that there may be some Black Friday specials on these, not sure by how much though as they seem to be super popular.

The 32 gb was very tempting but for the price difference, I will just buy a wireless hard drive.

I already have a bluetooth keyboard so I will be ordering a bluetooth mouse for it.

You can use a usb dongle with a usb hug if you want to use a usb keyboard / mouse.

Been reading up on Android a lot, might root this thing once I come up to speed on it and configure it the way I want.

I guess google wants people to use their cloud service... I may setup a new acct just for the unit itself and keep my
other google accounts separate.

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
it's on its way, should arrive by the 14th...

Interestingly enough, B&h, no longer seems to be offering the 16gb version, just the 32 gb one...

They had 10 in stock when I placed my order, they must have gone fast...

Can't wait for it to arrive...

going to order a 32 gb wi-drive from kingston to extend my storage capabilities.
It's a wireless wi-fi drive which can be setup to act like a pass through bridge so you can
connect to it and stay connected to the internet. It can be actively connected to three different devices simultaneously. Good value at $69.00.

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The nexus 7 arrived yesterday on time and in good condition.

Setup took all of 5 minutes and first impressions are very favorable.

Will report more on it as I get to know it better, got to read the 100 pages or so manual on the unit.

Upgraded the firmware to 4.1.2 which allows the home screen to rotate.

Version 4.2 has also been released which allows for multi-user with a much nicer keyboard among other things.

A few pics of the unit, the bluetooth keyboard I am using and the neoprene sleeve I got for it and a comparo picture
of it vs my current daily favorite latop an 11.6" Acer. Will be picking up a bluetooth mouse for it today.

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Have had the Nexus for two days now and all I can say is Woow, what an amazing little machine.

I love the form factor, it is such a joy to use once you make the mental switch from the traditional old way
of computing and using a desktop / laptop to a tablet based environment.

Applied the first OS upgrades, 4.1.2, and now Jelly Bean 4.2 is available for install which I will do shortly.

Coolest thing about 4.2 is the multi-user functionality, so you can share your tablet with someone without
exposing all of your settings/preferences etc.. It also has an upgraded keyboard which makes typing a lot
easier.

Have a long list of free apps that I will installing on the unit.

I purchased a stylus for it which makes operating the unit almost seamless, best $3.00 I have spent on it so far,
especially if you have chubby little fingers.

Also got an OTG (on the go) micro USB adapter which lets you connect usb devices to the unit, mouse, keyboard,
usb thumbnail or hard drive, usb hub, etc...

It is so light that it just fits inside my jacket pocket and I can hardly feel it.

More later ....

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
picked up my bluetooth mouse from Fry's yesterday.

It's a Gear Head mouse which is almost the perfect size, it's smaller than most other mice and fits perfectly in my small hand.
It can be had for $15.00-20.00 online. Fry's now days price matches most online prices.

It paired up quickly with the Nexus and works as advertised within the Android mouse operating constraints.

Should be the perfect addition for doing extensive work on the Nexus, like word processing, image editing etc... in
conjunction with the bluetooth keyboard.

A few pics of it that I found online.. will take some of my own later...

I find a stylus an invaluable piece of gear for operating the nexus, my productivity level on it jumped by more than %70
once I started using one, no more constant zooming in and out to hit the link etc... and I can type a lot faster with the
stylus than just using my thumbs.

Also made a temporary stand for the nexus out of an empty cassette case

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ErikDK said:
Shouldn't you be assembling the Burgman instead? :?:
Says the king of procrastination. :oops:
Replying to this while taking a break riding some cool trails in the Santa Monica mountains
, the backbone trail, not some thing I would have done with a laptop....

I really like this little guy... I think it is going to become my favorite daily companion

The 650 isn't going anywhere... cool new toys take precedence :)

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
I'm using about the same setup -- except substituting the Acer Iconia A100 for the Nexus (have had it a while, it's now far behind the state of the art, but still useful).

One really nifty feature is that the whole thing (tablet, keyboard, and mouse) will pack down small enough to fit inside a motorcycle helmet (keyboard, mouse, and all) to save space in the trunk. And since my other bike (Vespa LXS 150) has a much smaller "pet warmer" compartment, that's extremely useful.

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Rusty J said:
I'm using about the same setup -- except substituting the Acer Iconia A100 for the Nexus (have had it a while, it's now far behind the state of the art, but still useful).
I really wanted to buy the new Acer Iconia A110 which I was really excited about... especially considering that it has a built-in HDMI and Micro USB port /slot, and it uses Jelly Beans 4.1... In the end, I opted against it mainly because of the lower screen resolution... 1024x600 which came up a bit short... I wish they had used the same screen resolution as the Nexus 7, 1280x700, it would have been a killer 7" tablet.

I have found ways to overcome the HDMI/Micro USB issues on the Nexus 7, you you can use external storage via USB or wi-fi to deal with the storage issue should you need it, and you can stream video to a tv/monitor using an adapter too... not as convenient as having those features built into the unit itself.

I am not sure why Google / Nexus left out the HDMI / Micro USB options... and further more why the USB port can"t support an MHL adapter for connecting to a tv/monitor..

I have made the transition from my laptops to the tablet in just two days and have come to really like and enjoy it... I find that I can be as productive as I was on my laptop doing mundane daily computing chores...

I am building up my free apps library to supplement the tablet in what it lacks... Will post the list once I get a chance to fully test them and get to know the apps.

I never cared for a 10' tablet but the 7" tablet with its small form factor is almost a total joy to use... It fits in my small hands perfectly and I have gotten to be a very speedy stylus touch typist for casual use / typing... The keyboard / mouse come out when I have to do extensive typing / editing.

I would highly recommend the Nexus 7 or the Acer Iconia A110 to anybody looking for a small form factor tablet... :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
I'm waiting for the Samsung IIS note. It has a 5.5" screen and a stylus for input in addition to your finger. It also functions as a phone. It's os is the android Jellybean.

Is it too small to function as a tablet? Too big to function as a phone? I am not sure.....

Maybe, I should play with my wife's 7" tablet with android 4.0....

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
convertfromVespa said:
I'm waiting for the Samsung IIS note. It has a 5.5" screen and a stylus for input in addition to your finger. It also functions as a phone. It's os is the android Jellybean.

Is it too small to function as a tablet? Too big to function as a phone? I am not sure.....

Maybe, I should play with my wife's 7" tablet with android 4.0....
my nexus 7 has become an extension of my smarphone... it offers me the greater real estate to do all kinds of things and I can see what I am looking at...
I just pair / connect my nexus 7 to my phone to connect to the internet...
There is also a newer version of the nexus 7 which supports a sim card.

I am sure at some point tablets are going to become our daily phones, just a question of when... all you will need is a bluetooth headset for phone conversations.

It all depends on what your priorities are and you are aiming for... If you get a chance, stop by a retailer that has the nexus 7 in stock and check it out or any other 7" tablet running Jelly Beans 4.1 or 4.2

take a look at the Nexus 4 if you want something smaller...

good luck...

ordered two stands today for the nexus,,, one to take with me on the road, it kind of replaces my DIY cassette case , and the other would \
be for home to hold the tablet while it is charging...

You are probably asking why two, for one thing they were very affordable and the home model elevates the tablet so the charging cable can
pass through the square hole and I can leave the tablet in its normal portrait mode with the power / sound buttons on top, and I can leave the
on the go model in my bag.

I am a big fan of monoprice.com, they have amazing prices on cables and a all sorts of other products...

They should arrive tomorrow, so I will take some pics of both with the nexus on them.

the on the go model

the home model

1 - 20 of 28 Posts