Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys check this little video out. An on/off tank case for Burgman. If you like what you see, please "LIKE" the FB page to justify production and mass distribution. Feel free to ask any questions on the page. Have fun ;)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I see no pictures, the page reads -"This content is currently unavailable"

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
511 Posts
>>It does change the lines of the scoot significantly<<

And not in an entirely bad way. However, it does defeat the "step thru" aspect of scooter owning.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Unlike the other tunnel tanks, this does not have straps on them. The tank is removable/portable... get on the scooter, place the the tank. Remove the tank, get off the scooter. If you haven't yet, watch the video he made. He showed how easy is is to get on and off.

He also answered some questions about the tank. I will post when I get home. Can't access FB at work ;)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I asked these question to the developer..

"Couldn't someone just pick it up and walk off while you were in the store or restaurant, etc?" Can it securely be locked? Also, how secure is it when the vehicle is in motion (falling off the bike), especially when its full?

This is his response;

It cant go anywhere while its on the bike. Can only detach in an upward backward motion. It takes pressure from certain angles and wedges itself in the central tunnel I take mine off where I go as most of my valuables are in it. Best method for locking to the bike would be a small latch you turn from the inside that protrudes under the seat lip. This would stop it from being removed. As for theft or someone getting into it it has no lock as such as yet though the outer walls are strong enough to attach latches,locks to it. Can only prevent though, if someone wants something on your bike,scoot or even your scoot they will take it even if they need to damage it. My cyclone alarm triggers while the Tunnel Tank is being lifted so a small alarm could be a good deterrent amoung others mentioned. Good questions though.

·
Registered
704 Posts
And how, pray tell how one is to get on/off the scoot when one already has a problem getting their hind leg over the factory hump?

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
And how, pray tell how one is to get on/off the scoot when one already has a problem getting their hind leg over the factory hump?
You put it in place AFTER you have mounted the scooter and take it out BEFORE you dismount the scooter.

That is, if you can safely pick up the bag from the ground while mounted.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I have a Bestem Hump Bag Tank Bag that I use on my Burgman 650. Cost $62.96 plus shipping. Pretty happy with it. Just push it out of the way to mount and dismount. Go take a look:

http://www.bestemusa.com/Suzuki-Burgman-Hump-Bag-Tankbag_p_1017.html

I am not an employee of this company, just a satisfied customer.

Namaste'
Doug from Kentucky

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
But does it only work for the 650?
The developer's prototype is for the AN400 (that's his bike).. They will be working on the 650 really soon.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey guys, below is a copy of a post by the developer/designer of the tunnel tank. Might answer a few questions you may have.

"Hi folks, Has been a while since I posted on here. I am the maker/designer of the Burg400 Tunnel Tank Stan St.Clair.

Thought I would come on a share what I can while I have the time to. Visited before but the conversation just got started.

Concept : Tunnel Tanks was never supposed to be a product to start with. I wanted to address a few issues I had with my own Burgman as much as I love it.

Attachment 1916 (http://burgmanriders.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1916)

1. More fuel 2. something for the knees ( I still love to lean low but needed a centre point for my knees ). 3. carry a few extras and access them without turning the ignition off. 4. Side profile revamp - my own styling and taste but remaining functional.

1. I wanted a way to carry a little extra fuel for touring. Emergency rations if you will. When I go out on a bike to get lost I don't want to be thinking about how far the next garage is. So I adapted an explosafe tank and went about creating housing for it.

2. After a few runs out with the Tank I noticed a few different on my ride. Wind buffering in the central tunnel acted more like a motorbike and smoothed out the wind resistance as well as the cold upward chill I used to get from the floorboards. I smoothed out the design and made it more aerodynamic from the top and sides. Also while I am sticking my knee out for a bend the tank acts like a guide and I cannot shift over center.

3. I like to stop every-once in a while and have a drink,text, read a little map or take photos on the go. Unless you ride with you glovebox unlocked you need to take the key out of the ignition to get your bits. I never ride with the glove unlocked simply because of the horror stories of them flapping open at 70mph or over a bump. This was when I decided to convert my sculpture to a carrier, added a handle and box latch and switched the fuel for snacks,drinks,camera and Ipad. I love rocking up to a secluded or picturesque place, grabbing my camera taking a pic and riding off.

4. After the first week of having it I found a new love for my ride and the Tunnel Tank became a permanent feature and the side profile became my new favorite. I will be biased that is for sure, I put hundreds of hours into the production of this Carrier, had many failures but have managed to build what I set out to.

Added some responses to questions I have had from other Burgman owners.

Tunnel Tanks are made from fiberglass and gel coat, both Hand Layup fiber-glassing and sculpting leaving only one natural seam in the design making it extremely strong.

Its covered in a hard wearing vinyl and machine and hand stitched with weather proof nylon. I found the vinyl outperformed the leather in the operation of the tank over the leather due to the thickness and durability for price. The tank locks in place of the central tunnel and can only be lifted in an upward motion.

At this stage it has no locks securing the lid or to the scooter but all sides are strong enough to support a lock latch. The best solution for locking to the structure would be an insert you push from the inside that protrudes under the seat lip - this would stop it from being lifted out.

Aim of my posts so far is to gain enough interest in getting better deals from manufactures, injection molders and the like. This is where I can add the locks and think about loosing the cover and having a smooth finish.
Manufactured by a company the retail price will be from £100-140 depending on the country they are manufactured in.
The 650 version is a bigger design so would be slightly more £110-130. I think this would be a fair price for it's function and rarity. Would get a great deal in India/China/Japan and more cost savings but these are places that need to see demand before they will commit to the process.

Thank you all for your support, questions comments. 650 version is on its way and comments on that would also be appreciated, what you would like to see, any changes,add-ons etc.

The page that needs likes is below.
https://www.facebook.com/TunnelTank

Thanks again.

Stan St.Clair

Tunnel Tank"

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
bump

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
bump

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
I like the look it gives the 400. Would me purchase one, absolutely not.

I have a GIVI T-435 22 litre tunnel softbag that design for and fit 650 Burgie perfectly. it easy on & off and do not absolutely need strap to hold in place, as well it insulated bag so can keep coolb everage , sandwhich fresh or coffee thermos hot if need to,it also come with own waterproof foldable nylon rain cover and have used it many time. It very easy to carry with you in to restaurant, store, shop or show and because it soft will not scratch or scuff plastic or Tupperware or anything else, it can also easily be overstuff and not complain, it also can be stuff in narrow space when need to because it soft and conform easily flex and bend easily. Can also strap on other case bag on top of t-435 if need to. Believe I pay $65.00 - $75.00 for T-435 when it come out 7-8 year ago.

My problem with hard hump system on 400 is eventually you make mistake on install or removal and scratch plastic or Tupperware, could rip fake leather when carrying through doorway or along furniture etc. and it not fold for off season storage.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I bought a hump bag to put stuff inside of it, and after using it on a couple trips, I concluded that the pass through feature of the scooter far outweighs anything that winds up blocking this very useful feature.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts