Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't believe this!
Just as spring is springing, and the weather warming, I've snapped an Achilles tendon!
They tell me recovery is slow and not to be hurried, but will I miss all summer??
Anybody already played this game?

Best to All!

Austinii :mad:

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
Even if you have to wear an ankle-brace,
you should still be able to ride. After all,
your foot has nothing to do, as you ride.
It only needs to get you to your scooter.
I wear a knee brace much of the time,
and have to 'help' get my leg up onto
the foot-board...may be the same for you.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I agree, the Burgman is a BarcaLounger on wheels; one should easily be able to ride it with a bum foot. Just wear a high ankle boot for support, take it easy and lay off the twisties a bit. :D

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I can't believe this!
Just as spring is springing, and the weather warming, I've snapped an Achilles tendon!
They tell me recovery is slow and not to be hurried, but will I miss all summer??
Anybody already played this game?
I'd be inclined to ask my doctor - not a bunch of people on a motorcycle forum.

That said - give it a try next week, see how it goes :)

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I agree make sure you talk to your doctor. I busted my left leg 3 years ago this May and I starting putting too much weight on it too fast. I ended up busting screws the doctor put in there and had to have a second surgery and spend months in a wheel chair.

Do explain how the scooter works and that you don't use your leg as much as a regular bike. When I first talked to my doctor he said "no" to riding but after I explained it was a scoot he allowed it if I would use my other leg at stops.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I agree make sure you talk to your doctor. I busted my left leg 3 years ago this May and I starting putting too much weight on it too fast. I ended up busting screws the doctor put in there and had to have a second surgery and spend months in a wheel chair.
When I was 13, I broke my leg rather significantly (pretty much destroyed it). I knew more than the doctor, so I walked around on it while in the ankle to hip plaster cast. After 3 months of this, they had to re-break my leg and start over. I ended up being on crutches for almost a year.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
After 3 months of this, they had to re-break my leg and start over. I ended up being on crutches for almost a year.
I re-broke my own leg! When the screws broke it put all my weight on my bone and it broke what had mended. Luckily the plate prevented the bone from displacing. The doctor had to go in and add new screws and then forced me to stay off it. By the way I was 750 feet underground when I broke the screws! I was taking pictures in the Big Room of Carlsbad Caverns during a family weekend trip.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
I road! to Therapy, With two Chruches hanging on the side!! with no problem, Just drive slow, And Safe..

Elliott,

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I had four pins sticking out the sides of my knee - ugly, painful mess ):
External fixtures are not used as much as they used to be due to infection risks and the added pain. I have a friend who broke his neck in a car crash and they fitted an external fixture to hold it straight. It had four screws into his skull with a ring on the outside linked to another ring at his shoulders and more screws. Well they call them screws from the size I would call them bolts. He had that on for many months and has nasty scars to this day.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
External fixtures are not used as much as they used to be due to infection risks and the added pain. I have a friend who broke his neck in a car crash and they fitted an external fixture to hold it straight. It had four screws into his skull with a ring on the outside linked to another ring at his shoulders and more screws. Well they call them screws from the size I would call them bolts. He had that on for many months and has nasty scars to this day.
I remember those, they called them halos and they used to be common.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Disclaimer: I'm not a medical professional of any sort.

That said, it's not a break so if you can keep from putting any load on the tendon by using a lower-leg/foot brace ("walking cast/boot") you're probably ok. HOWEVER: those braces offer zero protection for your toes and I would not ride wearing one unless I could attach some sort of toe cap that I'd trust would stay in place in the event of a mishap. Consider hacking up a worn-out boot for its toe and instep section, then figure out how to attach that to the leg brace.

Also, keep in mind that on that side you'll have to be able to literally "flat-foot" the bike; if it's your right leg, you're going to have to be able to not only support the weight of the bike while putting the sidestand down, but also push the bike back over to the left onto the sidestand.. If it's your left leg, the situation is reversed plus you'll need to figure out how to put the stand down in the first place... It's not impossible, but it could be a hassle. You might want someone standing by to help you for the first couple of attempts, just in case.

... I was in one of those braces for a few months, and I wish I'd thought of cutting up one of my old boots to turn it into a steel-toed walking cast at the time; it would have gotten me back into the workbay and out from behind a desk sooner.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts