Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sold my K3, 650 several years ago and have regretted it ever since... I have an opportunity to purchase a K6, 650 for an unbelievable price. However, it apparently has something wrong with the transmission/CVT... I would think it might be as simple as the belt, but don't really know.

I have a friend who has vast knowledge and experience with scooters who indicates that he is certain that the two of us can get it running...

What I am seeking is information from those of you who know about the K6 with your thoughts about how difficult it might be to fix and possible range of repair costs. I realize that there are a lot of variables in my question and know that we are dealing with generalities...

Thanks in advance for your help!

:cool:

·
Administrator
20,096 Posts
This is not to scare ya, just not as easy as undoing the belt and replacing it then ride.

The "BELT" on a 650 is inclosed in the CVT. To remove the CVT it usually requires the whole engine be dropped down or all the way out just to unbolt the CVT. Then you must use some special (easy to make) tools and crack the CVT case open. The main thing those that have cracked a CVT open have found that the bearings and sometimes the shaft is beyond repair and must be replaced. It is not an easy job but members like Buffalo (In Texas) and MJR (in Calif) can guide you thru it.

But some times its not the belt but just a sensor or pensioner.

Go to the 650 section and read the topics on CVTs:

http://burgmanusa.com/forums/15-burgman-650/39396-cvt-problem-maybe.html

http://burgmanusa.com/forums/15-burgman-650/33629-primary-spline-failures.html

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hummm, sounds somewhat complicated and expensive? Thanks for the info... I'll check the 650 section... Also interested in hearing other comments...

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Apparently it has 9500 miles on it... I'm wondering what might have caused it to quit with that few miles... My K3 had 29000 when I sold it and the only problems I had with it was the front wheel bearings...

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I have an '05, basically the same as 06. It's a great bike, but I'd stay away from any 650 already demonstrating transmission problems, especially the cvt belt. It not easily replaceable like the 400's.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Unless already have tools, equipment and time to take bike apart and rebuild CVT yourself then also recommend you not purchase if plan have dealer do it because then expensive repair.

Several member here have rebuilt CVT, for several different reason, when they do themselves cost then reasonable.

Check LeDude Burgman Center he show how do it.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
What is the actual issue with it? Seems unusual for low miles but we don't know the whole story on it.

Parts alone if the issue is internal will vary from $400-$1,600. So far the three I have worked on ran between $700-$1,600.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I have a friend who has vast knowledge and experience with scooters who indicates that he is certain that the two of us can get it running...
...in that case I would definately repair the bike if you have the room (after first finding out from this forum exactly what is the problem) :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
I would discount the price paid by the full amount of all parts require for cvt rebuild using new parts.

My guess is that current owner knows this and why the price is fantastic (but it may not be). If it was me I would buy a newer low mileage 400 or much newer low mileage 650.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It is a K6 with the wood grain dash and a fairly large top box... I can get it for $1250... Thinking if I have to put that much in it, i've got a $3500 ride for about $2500... It does concern me that it quit with only 9500 miles... Wonder if owner error could be involved, although I'm not sure how, unless it was mistreated...

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I have a K6, which now has 10,764 miles on the clock. I have ridden it fully loaded to Germany twice and Portugal once and have had no trouble whatsoever. If I were you I would buy it, because the fault IMHO is not so serious as to render the bike as so much scrap. The price is fine and I am certain that the bike can be repaired without too much trouble. My advice, for what it's worth is to buy it.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
That is a decent price assuming you plan on keeping it but wouldn't make sense if you were going to fix/resale. Even if you needed a new CVT that runs about $2,800. I of course would take a few panels off and inspect it just to make sure your not getting something you didn't expect like say a flood damaged bike.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
If the project means you can both get quality time fixing it with your friend and a relatively cheap K6, I'd go for it.
You also have the chance to fit the best quality bearings you can find, in the hope to make a longer lasting CVT than original.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I would buy it if it were close by , if the rest of the bike is OK it's worth the $1,250 in parts .

TheReaper!

·
Administrator
20,096 Posts
Maybe I missed it, but what is the exact problem?
The seller said it has an un-defined CVT issue. At 9500 miles it is not common for a major issue to show up.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Still thinking about it... Probably a bigger job than my friend and I are comfortable taking on... I've got a mechanic that I may turn it over to if I get it... Working on getting the price low enough to make the risk worth it...

·
Registered
420 Posts
My advice... RUN!!
Seriously, My buddy just rebuilt my CVT last winter and I would describe the job as monumental. After the rebuild the clutch also needed to be rebuilt, of course my bike has 70,000 mi so I figured it didn't owe me anything. I was ready to leave the bike where the CVT failed (1,500 mi. from home) but my friend (who was traveling with me) volunteered to tackle the CVT. He couldn't have done it without LeDudes tutorials and help from the forum. It took just about every Saturday for the entire winter and the bike ran great this past season. I personally wouldn't even think about trying it and I felt really guilty for my frozen friend in the garage all winter (I should probably pick up the breakfast tab for the next 10 or 15 years). We tour a lot and can't chance a breakdown half way across the country and I'm sure my buddy is tired of being my personal mechanic... so my 2014 is on order!

I've seen and found for others, some unbelievable deals on used Burgmans over the years (just like any MC). Last year I found two, a 2007 with 3,000 mi for $2,800 which my friend bought and a 2008 400cc w/700miles!! for $3,000!

If it were me I'd wait it out.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Hey Bro., based on your stained glassed avatar to the left ..... You don't seem like a gambling man ..... And this deal seems like a huge gamble to me. I did a similar deal once with a Goldwing. Pert' near lost my religion. Agree with others .... There are good deals out there, deals that you could ride home. If your time is worth anything, and I know that it is, that "deal" could end up being very costly:( Godspeed friend.

Sirkitrider

1 - 20 of 50 Posts