Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember reading that a few forum members had hip surgery at one time or another. I'm scheduled to go in for right hip surgery in 10 days and want to know what effect this should have on my riding the Burgman. I've not discussed it with the doctor yet, but can guess what his answer will be. At this time, I can ride the Burgman much further than I can drive a cage before the onset of excessive pain. Not having to use my foot for the gas and being able to change position of the leg makes all the difference in the world. The doctor said I should be able to drive my truck to work (84 miles each way) in 8-10 weeks after the surgery. Should I be able to ride the Burgman along the same time frame, before then, or after? Any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,323 Posts
Only you can decide when it will be time to ride again. I personally think it will be sooner than the doctor thinks. My only suggestion to you at this time is to stick to the sidestand and don't attempt using the centerstand. Also if you're going to ride , give great thought on your parking arrangements. You don't want to be having to push the bike around to clear a parking stall or support the bike because you're on an incline/decline. Just take it easy when you do decide to climb on again.

Good Luck on the surgery!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all for your wellwishes!

Allan,

The only time I use the centerstand is when fueling the bike. I'm going to try using the left leg to centerstand the bike this week to see if it's feasable for those times I need to fuel up.

Stormseed,

I'm not looking at a total replacement at this time. There's a rip in the cartilage that has to be fixed and some deformation to the femoral head that has to be corrected. My assumption is that I should be able to ride the Burgman along the same time that I'd be able to drive since currently it causes less pain (and therefore less stress on the damaged areas) to ride than to drive the truck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,411 Posts
billmeek said:
...The only time I use the centerstand is when fueling the bike. I'm going to try using the left leg to centerstand the bike this week to see if it's feasable for those times I need to fuel up....
Unless you're going on a trip where the next gas station is 180 miles away or something, there's no need to put the bike on the centerstand to fill up. It only makes a difference of a half-gallon or so.

Better to fill up more often than to risk injuring yourself, IMO.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
captainfish said:
I know its a fairly minor surgery, but nonetheless....
Best Wishes and All our prayers for a excellent surgery and recovery.
Any surgery that keeps me off the Burgman is not minor. :) Dang near went thru 'Burgman withdrawls' when I let the dealer have my 400 for 24 hours for the first 600 mile service. :roll:

Seriously tho ...
Thanks for the best wishes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
761 Posts
hahahaha, too true!!

I got the same withdrawal when I had to give up my waterbed for the week long stay in the hospital after back surgery, then another week on the sofa. Needless to say I didn't get much sleep those 2 weeks. I live my waves.

And with me living out in the boonies, I am going to have to 1) plan way ahead to do my own service so I won't be without my bike, 2) plan way ahead to drop the bike off with service more than 1.5 hours away, or 3) pray to the Scooter Goddess that my bike never fails me and never needs service. cough, cough

Again, best of luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
captainfish said:
3) pray to the Scooter Goddess that my bike never fails me and never needs service. cough, cough
Never pray to the Scooter Goddess without the proper offering of tires, oil, fuel (urrm ... notice all these items burn well?) Last time I did I got the (Burgman 650) Scooter Demon who kept saying to me in my dreams, "Trade tbat 400 in. You want to feel the power of the 650. Move over to the darker side (get the black 650). Power is fun. Use that credit. FINANCE IT! Ah HAHAHAHAHA!" :twisted:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,363 Posts
captainfish said:
And with me living out in the boonies, I am going to have to 1) plan way ahead to do my own service so I won't be without my bike, 2) plan way ahead to drop the bike off with service more than 1.5 hours away, or 3) pray to the Scooter Goddess that my bike never fails me and never needs service.
And 4) Order replacement tires well in advance of needing them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
320 Posts
Bill, no wonder your "photo" is Bill the Cat! :lol: Seriously, best wishes for a speedy and uneventful recovery.

Stormsteed: <<Although I don't ride right now, I have decided that I am going to get a scooter. Right now, I'm just waiting for the 2005's to come out to see if there will be any drastic changes worth waiting for.>>

You GO, girl! :D Maybe you can give us some previews of the '05s.

Cheers,

Bryna
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Invincsum said:
Bill, no wonder your "photo" is Bill the Cat! :lol: Seriously, best wishes for a speedy and uneventful recovery.
The photo is me .... on one of my better days. You should see how I look on one of the rougher days. Or maybe you shouldn't. No one should be put thru tourture that severe.

Thanks for the well wishes for a boring .... urmm .... uneventful recovery. :tongue:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
320 Posts
<<boring .... urmm .... uneventful recovery>>

Hey, take it from someone who had a kidney yanked out and came out minus a couple of inches of rib (and a kidney, adrenal and assorted hardware), "uneventful" is good! :D Beats the heck out of infections, complications, etc.

Do Krispy Kremes come along with the "room and board" of insanity? If so, I'm boarding at your place! :lol:

Bryna
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Invincsum said:
Hey, take it from someone who had a kidney yanked out and came out minus a couple of inches of rib (and a kidney, adrenal and assorted hardware), "uneventful" is good! :D Beats the heck out of infections, complications, etc.
I hear you on that. But I do not look forward to another couple of months being bored of of my ever lovin' mind. I may end up taking the free room and board from being bored.

Invincsum said:
Do Krispy Kremes come along with the "room and board" of insanity? If so, I'm boarding at your place! :lol:
I think only the security guards get the Krispy Kreams. Then again, I barely ever get them myself (not being locked up). Closest Krispy Kream is in Nashvegas (about 80 miles north). :idea: Hmmm....sounds like a good reason for another Burgman ride. ;)
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top