Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a good look at a 05 650 at the Chicago bike show. After many questions to the Suzuki people including a tech person? who after a while started asking me questions could not give me any answers as to how the overdrive was setup or actuated. The only outward apearance changes were the clear lenses on the front and rear turn signals and the blue seems a little lighter in color than the 03. The left grip switches are the same with no indication of an over drive. The dash all seemed the same but could not turn it on to see if there was a change in display. The windshield has to be changed by taking off the front trim and unscrewing and reposition it. No other changes looked to have taken place.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
At least the windshield is adjustable .... it'd be nice to have the electric adjustment for varying conditions.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
The adjustable windscreen that Suzuki added to the V-Strom in 2004 works the same way. You have to unbolt it and reposition it. You would also be surprised at how many owners of 2004 V-Stroms can't find any of the four positions that work well for them. The up side is that the aftermarket windscreen manufacturers all quickly redesigned their offerings to work with the adjustable mount.

·
Registered
111 Posts
i got a call today from a local suzuki burgman dealer and he told me that the 05 burgy has a different sheeve set a different speed sensor and a different power control module. this is for the overdrive unit in the new bike. i'm now getting quotes for a trade on my brand new 03 bike to the 05 bike. i just need a bit more distance on a tank of gas.
so now we all know what has to be done to convert the older units to the 05 type of drive system.
if anyone else has some info on this please post it. bob p.

·
Registered
111 Posts
the pulleys. the drive sheeves are the ones the engine is geared up to the driven ones are the other end that the belt connects to. hope this clears it up some for you.
you know i just can't see why the sheeves need to be changed out or for that matter why the speed sensor needs to be changed either. seems to me the sheeve set should be the same as the speed sensor. i can see the pcm needing to get changed because of the added computering it needs to do. but then again the way i see it just the cpu should have to be changed or maybe reprogramming. i'm still pursuing this. the way hackers can get into any computer these days i'm thinking one will own a burgamn and figure out how to hack it so it will have the OD installed into it. manufactures never want to tell you it can be done because they need tosell products to make money, and upgrading the odels keeps the money comming in.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts