Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I'm probably as cheap as they get where fuel is concerned. I always fill up at chevron with the premium gas. I have 20 gram sliders installed, and don't keep a lot of stuff in the trunk. I have a passenger once in a while, and I want to know what can I do to get the absolute maximum in gas mileage. I seem to average 62-64 mpg. I also try not to drive stupid. I do a mix of freeway and stop and go. Started turning the bike off at stop lights thinking that would help. Any reason not to do that? What else can I do to make it increase?

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Don't buy premium gas. They run just fine on regular. Stick with the owners manual recommendation.

64 is really pretty good on the 400.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Definitely run 87 octane in that Burgman. Keep the tire pressures steady too. Run at an even pace with neither quick starts nor quick stops. Change all of the fluids regularly. But most of all, relax and enjoy the ride and you'll wind up with the best gas mileage.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Beg to disagree. I run on open roads, no traffic at 55 to 60 mph for 250 to 300 miles per day.

I boycott gas with ethanol in it. Mileage drops 8-10%.

Running 87 octane and I get 21 km per liter (Canadian bike --- useless number). I run 93 octane and I get as much as 24.4 km per liter, up 15%. My wife gets similar results. We ride 10000 km each season and we watch our mileage.

Premium gas is more expensive. Do the math. If it costs more than 15% than uncontaminated 87 octane gas, don't buy it. Usually that's about where it is set, so there isn't much difference. The upside is that premium gas never has ethanol in it, so odds are you win. It's also better for the engine.

Ride safe
Scott Fraser
Calgary

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Unless you are stationary at lights for a long time, do not turn off your engine. It's false economy on engines with conventional starters. The have a large current drain on electrics, and will incur considerable extra wear and tear which is expensive to put right. The engine may also gives a little extra pump of gas into the engine on start up even when warm. Most cars with stop start systems that turn off the engine at lights do not use conventional starter motor systems so don't incur extra engine wear.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Beg to disagree. I run on open roads, no traffic at 55 to 60 mph for 250 to 300 miles per day.

I boycott gas with ethanol in it. Mileage drops 8-10%.

Running 87 octane and I get 21 km per liter (Canadian bike --- useless number). I run 93 octane and I get as much as 24.4 km per liter, up 15%. My wife gets similar results. We ride 10000 km each season and we watch our mileage.

Premium gas is more expensive. Do the math. If it costs more than 15% than uncontaminated 87 octane gas, don't buy it. Usually that's about where it is set, so there isn't much difference. The upside is that premium gas never has ethanol in it, so odds are you win. It's also better for the engine.
It's a whole different world in Canada. HERE is a unit juggler which makes the conversion easy. 21 km/l is 49.39 mpg; 24.4=57.39. I'm getting 50mpg ± 2 running 87 with "up to 10% ethanol" on my daily commute and running around town. I'd love to see the improvement you have!

Now it is possible for me to run non-ethanol fuel, but there's another aspect to the equation - how far need I drive to find it. The closest station which offers it is 16mi/26km and it's in the wrong direction from where I need to go. I drive 28 miles each way each day straight across northern Tampa and there is only one station which offers it is apparently in the process of going out of business - they're usually closed when I go by. Because I'm commuting, I need to fill the tank between two and three times a week.

So I'm stuck with ethanol, but I still have the choice between 87 and 93 octane. I put the 93 in the tank by accident about a month ago. Once I realized that I'd done it, I eagerly anticipated the next fill-up, but was disappointed to see it came in at 48.2mpg - on the low side of average for me. I haven't repeated the experiment because 87 cost $3.29/gal and 93 cost $3.99/gal in my area at the time. That's an additional 28%. If, instead of 48mpg, I had gotten better than 60mpg, I would be filling it with premium every time.

I'm really glad you've got a good solution, Scott. I think my best bet is to hope a source of non-ethanol fuel opens somewhere along my commute. Thanks for giving me hope!

·
Registered
110 Posts
from what I have read unless you have a tuner device that will adjust the somewhat retarded timing on the Burgman you won't see very much gain in fuel economy with 93 octane. I would like to test that theory but at almost $400 for the Dynojet, that's a little pricey for a test since I already have the tuner pro for half the money but no timing adjustment. Jay

·
Premium Member
14,516 Posts
The upside is that premium gas never has ethanol in it.....
Sorry for the misconception.....around here ALL gas has ethanol in it.
The only place to buy gas without ethanol in it, is to buy aviation
gas at the airport.....& the price is.....GOLD.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Happy to see this discussed, because I was curious if it was better for the bike to go with ethanol-free. I'm lucky that there are two gas stations within close distance that offer ethanol-free with the price difference of +.17 cents/gal.

Here is an interesting link to a list of ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada. Showing is for KS, but you will be able to click on a province or state to see locations.
http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=KS

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
I average 60 mpg. I put the STABIL Ethanol Treatment in the gas for my scoot and all other small engines I have, mowers, blowers etc... I would like to see ethanol outlawed! I have had to replace fuel lines on all the 2 cycle motors I have as the ethanol eats the fuel lines and gives nice fuel leaks. The EPA was trying to have the ethanol percentage raised to 15%. The AMA (American Motorcycle Association) has done a nice job of lobbying to get this delayed. The AMA's argument is that there are no motorcycles on the road in the USA that will run gasoline with more than 10% ethanol! So, the EPA effectively would take all motorcycles off the road.
I checked my Owners Manual, 2005 Burgman 400, and it is stated in there not to run any fuel/gasoline with more than 10% ethanol.
OK, I'm done.:D
Y'all ride safe!

·
Registered
302 Posts
I use Lucas Safeguard Ethanol Fuel Conditioner. Without it, I have to put Seafoam in my bike after EVERY fill up. If we are lucky and away from the heart of Atlanta we can locate gas stations that do not have any ethanol in the gas. It is required within the metro counties to have gas with 10% ethanol, but the counties that are not considered within the metro region have farm equipment and need non-ethanol gas. The prices of gas are also lower in those areas.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I am amazed at the poor fuel consumption you are getting from your bike. I have had my K4 from new, now in its 8th year and still getting good results. Around town I get 27kms/ltr ave. On a long day trip of around 500kms, setting the rev counter at 5300 RPM average I seldom get below 30.5km/ltr, or 84MPG Imp. Use 91 oct. were possible. I don't get better mileage by using 98 only that the motor is much quieter. Using E10 knocks the figure down to around 26ks/ltr. The bike has 155,000kms on the clock, throws out oil thru the PAIR valve at around a cup of oil per 400kms. I have tried everything to reduce it with little results. One of the very few bad features of this model.
My recipe for good fuel consumption: Keep rear tyre at around 38PSI, don't hammer it into head winds or up hills, and turn a blind eye on the boy racers at the lights. It's all in your riding style.!! johnD

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
A quick tip that some may be aware of--Google does many unit conversions directly from the search input text box.

For example (use the to keyword to tell Google you wish a conversion:

27 k/l to mpg (27 km/l or 27 kpl will work too)

will cause Google to display this:

Clicking the more info link will open Google's Calculator and Conversion help page; it is a very capable and readily available tool.

Currency conversions are available as well:

Typing a mathematical equation, say (130 * .70 * 2) / 25.4 + 13 will display the result in the search box, pressing enter will display the result and the Google calculator:

Play with it, there is a whole lot to it...

·
Registered
438 Posts
For some reason I cannot quote and reply to individual posts.

@ ChipDoc:
I confess to being a cheapskate. I never used to worry about what gas we used and just fed it the cheapest stuff. Since 2010, we have 25000 miles on both Burgmans, most of it in the USA.

Here, we buy ghast by the liter and our sold-in-Canada Burgmans don't give us miles or gallons through the display. Stupid, hello Suzuki, it pisses me off. We do get heated grips and seat... now all we need is heated tires and a snowplow out in front.

Anyway, I started watching mileage a few years ago, logging our fuel points with times, miles elapsed, volume and cost. I was surprised this year. We saw very good mileage, 55 mpg plus, when we got scared off ethanol gas. Cost per mile? About the same, probably deliberately.

Ride, buy gas, keep your logs, and decide for yourself. I do believe that higher-octane gas is better for the engine, so that's what I choose to feed it.

@ Duster:
When we were in Washington state two years ago, we had to refuel in Tonasket. I was told by the operator of a Sinclair station that when the truck came from Seattle, they got gas with ethanol. When it came from Moses Lake, they got gas without ethanol. They had no control over where the gas came from. It just came.

Last summer, we were in Harrowville, MT. There was one gas station, another Sinclair franchise. I did not want to buy there gas because tehre was a sign saying ther ewas ethanol in the gas. I said as much to the operator, and was told that none of the premium gas that Sinclair sell has ethanol. I took her at her word, filled up, and we rode on. We got the same good mileage on our next leg. Of course, YMMV.

Anyway, the whole issue of ethanol in gas is very contentious in the US, where government is insisting that it be universal. That works for cars, wher ethe US auto companies and major exporters will improve their technology, but for the moment, those of us who ride bikes really don't need it. Our bikes are already cheap rides, and better gas makes them cheaper. But who listens to us...?

Regards
Scott Fraser
Calgary, where we have 3' of snow.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am amazed at the poor fuel consumption you are getting from your bike. I have had my K4 from new, now in its 8th year and still getting good results. Around town I get 27kms/ltr ave. On a long day trip of around 500kms, setting the rev counter at 5300 RPM average I seldom get below 30.5km/ltr, or 84MPG Imp. Use 91 oct. were possible. I don't get better mileage by using 98 only that the motor is much quieter. Using E10 knocks the figure down to around 26ks/ltr. The bike has 155,000kms on the clock, throws out oil thru the PAIR valve at around a cup of oil per 400kms. I have tried everything to reduce it with little results. One of the very few bad features of this model.
My recipe for good fuel consumption: Keep rear tyre at around 38PSI, don't hammer it into head winds or up hills, and turn a blind eye on the boy racers at the lights. It's all in your riding style.!! johnD
How are you getting 84 mpg? I ride very slowly, i put in 91 oct. Is there anyone else getting 84 on a 400?

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
^ this, and unless the speedometer has been corrected (or Burgman's calibrated in kph are more accurate than those displaying mph) 5300 rpm = about 53 mph..

I could probably get 70 mpg, if I could ride 310 miles on I95 at 55 mph--without getting run down by a semi...

-------------------------------------------
johnd,

The oil consumption you have experienced is oil passing through the PCV plumbing; not the PAIR system. There is no engine oil in or available to the PAIR--just air:

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
Best way to get better gas mileage is to clean the idle adjust screw at every oil change!!! ;)

·
Registered
765 Posts
On my 06 400 "one cylinder wonder" I've gotten anywhere from 57 mpg (mountains)' to 72 mpg ( back roads puttering). I average 63 for all around riding. I don't ride aggressively but do use ALL the THROTTLE once in a while.
Run non ethanol when possible....87 octane. Satisfied with the mileage considering I weigh in at &@$/(?!..... Recently lost 20 pounds .... No jump in mpg but did discern a little more umph on top end speed .....gained 3 mph:)
-Sirkitrider

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
how do i clean that screw? i just adjusted the idle speed, so it must not be too hard.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts