Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2 gripes with the 400 are:

Recessed fuel cap--Could Suzi made it more difficult to get fuel in there?

Limited range with stock capacity. Coming from a KLR650 that could go 250 miles per tank, I am finding the capacity of the 400 quite slim. When on an extended trip I would stop but not get fuel which opens up the variety of places that I could stop at. Now I have to find a stop that has a gas station. And I don't even live out in the southwest! Having ridden out there I've travelled 200 miles without seeing a station.

Suzi or a smart aftermarket mfg could make a bundle on an extra capacity tank.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
There is not a whole lot of room for anything worthwhile - except in the trunk - I suppose it is not beyond the wit of man to fashion a 10 litre tank and plumb it into the system and it would not sacrifice too much luggage space - gets hot under there and your ass is right above it! :roll:

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
There is a company who makes a gas bag in several sizes. I saw them at Bike Week. I do not remember the company's name, but there are companies out there.

If your riding style requires repeated +200 mile trips between gas stops, you may need a different style bike. I can not think of a maxi scooter that will consistantly you a +200 mile range without concern of running out of gas.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Garthsgarden said:
"...And I don't even live out in the southwest! Having ridden out there I've travelled 200 miles without seeing a station...."
I totally agree. You really have to plan your trips here in AZ. I'll never forget when a friend of mine drove west from PA to visit me in Montana. "I looked at the map and saw all the blank space between cities and thought - 'wow, I guess the names are so big they wouldn't fit on the map' - in reality, there ARE NO cities and you actually have to PLAN your fuel fill-ups!"

Did I say she was just a "little" blond? I laughed so hard....only because she was so serious when she said this.

I've driven on two lane "highways" in Montana for an hour and not seen anyone. I'd say that's difficult to do in the East, but i've not lived in the East to verify it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree with ya Flint. I live in the east but love to ride out west. I can remember a 2am run on the interstate in Wy when I didn't see another car for 30 minutes!

Looking at the parts diagrams the fuel tank lies forward of the filler. If you didn't mind losing some of the step-thru a good welder could add a couple of gal worth of fuel by extending the tank up and back. If anyone finds a spare tank let me know and I'll have the fab shop here give it a go.

·
Registered
111 Posts
better be a good plastic welder. i took the 650 apart last winter complaining of the same problem here and i just could not find any room to add to the tank except in the trunk under the seat. i wisk suzuki would have put the filler on the right at least then you can get a full tank without using the center stand all the time. this winter i'm going to figure out a way to put the filler in the trunk to at least get the full capacity of the tank it came with. then i can add saddel bags with out having to move one for refueling.

by the way anyone interested in that secret radio i installed in my bike forget it. the radio is junk i'm looking a different direction this time and will post the results when they happen.

·
Registered
553 Posts
gas bag

roy_ryall said:
There is a company who makes a gas bag in several sizes. I saw them at Bike Week. I do not remember the company's name, but there are companies out there.

If your riding style requires repeated +200 mile trips between gas stops, you may need a different style bike. I can not think of a maxi scooter that will consistantly you a +200 mile range without concern of running out of gas.
I've got a few relatives that fit that "gas bag in several sizes" thing. :D

·
Registered
239 Posts
MMMmmmmm....

I wonderif my 400 has something Wrong with it....If I stay under 65 MPH I get 70 MPG and can go about 240 miles before running out of fuel...rode 225 miles and put 3.110 Gals. in....I've Check the Odo as well...its Dead On...

As for the Fuel Bladder...didn't know they made them for Bikes but they DO make them for Boats and any decent Chandlery will either have them in stock or be able to order them...and they can get way bigger than the Burgman could handle.

A lot of people get them who want to take their twin-outboard cabin cruiser offshore to like Bermuda...they usually get the 500 gallon job and set it on the deck...(talk about watching a Pig Wallow about!!!)

Though some of the Ready Made Aluminum Tanks for Dune Buggies and such might be the ticket...and they are using a Quick Couple that resembles an Air Fitting. It lets them unhook and take the plastic fuel tank to the store to fill up and bring back and plug back into the motor....I don't see why a "T" couldn't be plumbed into the Burgman Fuel Line so you could carry one on extended Trips.

I'd hate to permanently loose trunk space for a spare tank though.

P.S. I stuck an Aluminum 22 oz. Campers Fuel Bottle (used for Stove Fuel) in my little Tool/Emegency Bag I keep stuffed in the very back of the trunk...should I ever be stupid enough to run out of Fuel I have a "Gas Can" that (after Hoofing it to the Gas Station) will hold enough to get me another 12-15 miles.

·
Registered
484 Posts
An option???? Go to http://www.tourtank.com

BTW If you click on "More pictures" the 2003 Vulcan 750 was mine. I just sold it 2 weeks ago. Waiting for the 2006 Burgmans to be announced.

Bill...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Finished successfully installing 3.5 gallon tourtank on AN650K7 this weekend. Pictures to follow. It is cool to see the gas gauge go up from E to F when you are riding along. More later.

·
Registered
55 Posts
http://burgmanusa.com/gallery/answersys/tourtank/
Took some pictures of my tourtank installation tonight and posted on my gallery on the link above.

Installing this tourtank has been something I have wanted to do ever since I got my Burgman. Now my range has been extended significantly. Even though it is a relatively simple configuration, a lot of research went into doing it the right way. Thanks to this forum and all the helpful people on this site, I have enhance the overall capabilities of this wonderful machine. I am ready for some long rides now. To date, I have only traveled in 3 states (Virginia, Maryland and DC (sort of a state)). In June, I have a longer trip planned to Ohio with a friend of mine. With the tour tank installed, I have only given up a little bit of room in the trunk case but I still have all the room under the seat, in my side cases, and that which I can cram into my motofizz seat bag. I still have just about as much storage as a gold wing but for a lot less money.

There were two challenges on this installation. The first was to get all the right fittings. Make sure you use brass or stainless fittings, not plastic. The breather hose that I tapped into using the T fitting had a larger inner diameter than the 5/16 inch marine hosing I purchased. The first T fitting I used was plastic and was 5/16 inch which fit the A-1 rated fuel marine hose but the fitting was too loose for the breather hose I tapped into. The breather hose I tapped into is slightly larger than 3/8 inch. This caused a leak when I was testing it out. I had some drivers alert me to the leak when I was riding so I was able to shut off the petcock feeding from the auxiliary tank. Cagers arent all bad. Once I shut off the fuel from the aux tank, the leak stopped. The leak was at the T fitting only. No leaks anywhere else. I replaced the plastic T fitting with a brass 3/8 inch fitting and clamped it down snugly.

The second challenge was actually cutting holes in my Givi Maxia trunk case and my tupperware. Can you say pucker factor? Even though the fuel leak was scary, cutting these holes was more nerve wracking. I measured and re-measured just to get it right. I made the holes a slight bit smaller than the hose outer diameter so that when I pulled the hoses through the openings, they fit snuggly so there are no air gaps or potential for leaks when it rains.

Overall, I took my time and it appears like everything works well. The only visible sign of the tank being part of the scooter is the hose and connections coming from the trunk case. No leaks. More range and added capability to the machine that gets me around. The quick release allows me to remove the case and tank whenever I need to. The biggest kick I get out of it is having the gauge go up from empty to full when I am riding.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Excellent job!

I would be happier if you had protected the hose where it passed through the Givi & the scoot tupperware.

You could enlarge the holes & insert rubber grommets of the correct size for the fuel tubing.

I just worry a lot about things like that.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Good suggestion Oldgoat. Even though this A1 marine hose is tough, over time, the grommets would protect the hose from splitting or cutting from the tupperware edges. I will update the pictures when I do that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
answersys said:
The second challenge was actually cutting holes in my Givi Maxia trunk case and my tupperware. Can you say pucker factor?
I hear ya. I once installed a wakeboard tower on a brand new FourWinns boat. In the middle of the process I am thinking, "OK, here I am drilling 20 1/2" and 3/8" holes in a perfectly good boat! Am I nuts?"

1 - 14 of 14 Posts