Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed on my Burgman 650 that I'm up to 5 miles an hour off actual speed on my speedometer is there a way to correct that it is showing faster

·
Premium Member
2,825 Posts
I have noticed on my Burgman 650 that I'm up to 5 miles an hour off actual speed on my speedometer is there a way to correct that it is showing faster
Go sixty and you’ll be six miles off. They say it shows about 10% faster than what the cops think.

Reactions: hscohen and Rusty J

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
the speedo is off on all 650 burgmans by 10% at all speeds easy to keep track off
deduct 10% from the posted speed on the dash, doing 30 mph, deduct 3mph = 27 mph

my Garmin GPS gives me an exact speed

·
Premium Member
2,825 Posts
Reactions: Rusty J

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
If you really paid attention you'll note that almost EVERY vehicle has a speedo error. I've only had 2 vehicles out of 20 that were close to accurate. One was a 2006 Nissan Murano that was spot on with my Garmin GPS. The other was my Honda CTX1300 which was also spot on with that same GPS. All others cars, vans, motorcycles were off. Usually 4 wheeled cages are off an average of 2-4%. Most motorcycles are off around 7-10%. But even that depends on what tires you have and how worn they are (as alluded to a few posts ago). My first Burgman 650 was 10% off with stock tires and I put Pirelli tires on it next (in 2008) and my speedo was 11% off all per the GPS unit.

When I travel I use my phone (Pixel 4) as GPS. Works great and is just as waterproof as any dedicated GPS unit (IP68 spec). Google Maps Navigate shows GPS speed that confirms what I already know... that the bike speedo is 10% off. So I follow what the GPS readout says. When I don't use my phone for GPS I just go about 5 mph over and call it good. There are some dim-whit cagers who don't appreciate the idea of actually obeying the law and going the speed limit but I'm certain they have no clue what that circle of numbers is on their dash (if analog speedo) or what the numbers mean (if digital speedo). They also don't really know how to read those white signs with black letters and numbers on them on the side of the road. They usually go 45 in a 35 zone and then slow down to 40 in a 45 zone. Just a bunch of bone headed BDC.

·
Premium Member
1,262 Posts
Do a search of the forum -- that "Search Community" box up top on most pages -- for SpeedoHealer (or perhaps Speedo Healer) and you'll have a lot of reading material, clear explanations, and so forth, after which you'll be an expert in the field.

Reactions: Dave_J

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have had a speedohealer set to 9.6% since 2006. Spot on. Every vehicle has a specific setting that is very consistent. Am on my third bike / model year and all are exactly the same.

·
Premium Member
1,262 Posts
I have had a speedohealer set to 9.6% since 2006. Spot on. Every vehicle has a specific setting that is very consistent. Am on my third bike / model year and all are exactly the same.
On both my sold-in-2012 '07 Exec and my bought-in-2016 '08 Exec, I set my SpeedoHealers at -9.2%. Close enough to your settings, and tire wear will affect this, anyway.

Reactions: Dave_J
1 - 14 of 14 Posts