Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone using them? (see http://www.quietridemuffs.com/ ). I've spent so much time and money working on quietening the screen air noise on various bikes (AN650 Exec is actually pretty good already). I've got custom ear plugs and they're OK for a while but are inconvenient and hurt after a while. A helmet with built in ear-muffs seems like an excellent alternative - could get away with lower screen - just enough to get the wind off the neck. If anyone has any experience using these - would love to hear from you.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I doubt they can get the DB reduction that good earplugs can.

Standard -31 dB industrial earplugs can be almost too quiet.

Good earphones can get as high as -28 but -24 is the norm. UltimateEars are designed for musicians in high volume environments.
These are good

and have on off inline switch

You want to get the TX-500 foam tips tho for best isolation and sound.
Amazon.com: Comply Tsx-500 Comfort PLUS Earphone Tips (Black, 3 Pair, Medium): Electronics

You will never really get rid of buffeting noise entirely as it's low frequency and impossible to block.

With seated Ultimate Ears the noise is less than in a car.
With seated earplugs like these that I use for sleeping as well as mcycle - the -33 is almost too much quiet.

http://www.northernsafety.com/news/Article/800624188/reduce-the-risk-of-work-related-hearing-loss

I reuse mine

$25 for a box of 200
http://www.northernsafety.com/Product/1454/?PriorityCode=CFOU0414

I use less antennuating ear plugs when riding with the Scala - easy to hear buddy - quiet enough ride even at 150 kph yesterday.

Takes some work to get the best combo.
Remove them and take a break every little while.

·
Registered
52 Posts
P.T.Barnum made a statement about this one time. I also use foam ear plugs and at a 32db reduction would put the sound of their video at 64db. That is huge compared to the muffs! Besides, most of the noise on a m/c is wind noise unless you get stuck riding beside or behind a Harley, and then it is just noise!!

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
Those muffs look interesting. If you try them let us know how they work.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Might work okay with earphones or light earplugs...no way -18 is worth the money and can't see how that will fit into a snug helmet.

Sound isolation audio engineering headphones get -26 dB.
Wearing this pad with earphones may work well for good sound with little ambient noise but gonna be a tight fit.

Noise reduction is also frequency dependent and nothing antennuates low frequency wind turbulence effectively.

A pilot is dealing with a closed cabin and engine noise mostly. Engine noise is relatively easy to filter out.
Our sailplanes had no engine noise but they had about the same wind turbulence noise as a mcycle with a good windscreen.

Not a single user review as yet.
TANSTAAFL

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
I installed the Clearview XXL screen on my 650 a couple of years ago, and was amazed how quiet it made the ride. Like Buffalo, I would be interested to read anyone's comments if they give these a try. Thanks for sharing the site.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
The idea is good and it would be nice if a amjor manufacturer undertook it, especially the seal around the ears - but looks like a nightmare to DYI after looking at the detailed pics.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts