Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

HOW WOULD YOU IMPROVE THE BURGMAN DESIGN?

• WHAT COMPONENT NEEDS THE MOST IMPROVEMENT?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • WHAT COMPONENT NEEDS NO IMPROVEMENT?

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you could design the Burgman, what improvements would you include in your new design? Mine would include better suspension, better wind protection, high density seat foam, and integrated radio with XM capability. Let's hear your ideas for the "PERFECT" Burgman.

·
Registered
394 Posts
The two things I would like to see from Suzuki for the Burgman 650:

• Location of the power outlet in the front compartment. Where it is makes it difficult to plug in some devices and still be able to close the compartment door. I found a work-around for this, but it would be nice if the design didn't require a work-around.
    [/*:m:3kfucbaf]
  • An optional intercom-communication-music system would be great. At this point I'm planning on adding my own from J&M, however, a unit specifically integrated with the AN650 from 'Zuk would have been my preference.[/*:m:3kfucbaf]

·
Registered
18 Posts
I would like to see a 1000 cc variant.

The 650 with a bigger stock winsheild, 2 more inches of leg room, and an intercom / sound system option.

·
Registered
35 Posts
That thing is ugly; and it's a motorcycle anyway, no?

Looks like it came straight outta the anime Akira.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
I agree the suspension needs to be looked at. It would also be nice if Suzuki made arrangements for hard case saddlebag mounts. Suzuki North America needs to insure that we have access to all the accessories that the Japan site shows. I agree also on repositioning the power jack in the glove box.
The most important thing I think would be a great assest is an electronic adjustable windscreen. We're all different sizes and being able to fine tune the windscreen in this manner would be great.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
An optional radio is a no brainer.
It seems that almost everyone has to replace the windshield so there should at least be an optional larger windshield.
Several people have noted how hard it is to push. I wonder if they could include a neutral position with the push buttons?
I have been concerned with the high costs reported for routine maintaince.
There should be easy access for such things as oil changes & air filters.
Of course these things would apply to the Silverwing as well.

·
Registered
48 Posts
here in canada suzuki does offer a taller opional windshield .that was part of the deal when i bought mine . check with your dealer

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
It needs a better windscreen. I bought a Clearview shield, which takes care of that nicely.

It needs better suspension components. So far, I don't see any upgrades for sale in the USA. I will definitely buy better shocks & fork springs when someone markets them. The stock suspension is fine for reasonably smooth roads, but it reacts badly to sharp irregularities in the pavement - stuff that doesn't bother my motorcycle at all.

The front glovebox could benefit from a redesign to make it more useful. The compartments are too shallow to hold much.

The LCD dash on the 650 should be replaced with analog units for at least the speedometer and tach. I find it difficult to see in bright sunlight - the lcd tach is useless.

Angled valve stems would make it easier to check & adjust tire pressure.

I'd prefer a sportier sound from the muffler.

There should be a way to open the trunk if the cable breaks. Actually, I'd feel more comfortable if they would put a key lock on the side to open the trunk instead of the remote cable mechanism.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I agree an adjustable would be great, electric even more so. Angled valve stems is also a smart idea. I added 90 degree extension on my Burgie. However, I have no problem reading the LCD dash and prefer it to analog. I also like the quietness of the stock exhaust and wouldn't want that to change.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Hmmmmmm If I were new and researching the Burgman for a future purchase and read this thread , I would think there are lots of things wrong with it :?
So with that let me re-inforce that the Burgman's are a great bike and I would buy another in a heartbeat. The gripes listed are just small things that burgman owners would tweak to make the machines perfect. Lets face it you can always improve on something. However if all the gripes we would like to see were actually implemented , the MSRP of these otherwise fine scooters would be way too expensive and we would be griping about that :roll:

·
Registered
57 Posts
My personal design improvement opinions:

1 The 650 burg should be easier to perform maintenance.
examples: Accessible transmission fluid fill area.
Easy access to headlight bulbs…etc

2 Redesign the seat to accommodate taller drivers. There
is a lot of seat room to work with. The passenger seat
is a bit hefty.

3. Self canceling signals.

4. Seat key unlock relocation, The current design is a great
Idea but, I believe it complicates the ignition switch
And is difficult to use for some people.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The list of improvements I'd recommend are:
- longer travel and more compliant suspension front & rear

- something built-in to deflect the updraft on left side of passenger's leg area.

- adjustable wind screen (as pointed out, elec. would be great)

- optional Suz. back rest with rack

- neutral gear choice to make pushing easier and to allow bike to idle with sidestand down.

- prefer analog instruments

As pointed out by allwalk...the scooter is still great as is and I'd buy one again. :) The main stuff...engine, trans, brakes, handling and storage capacity are all excellent :D

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
No Perfect Rides

I have had 17 motorcycles and several scooters. With one or two exceptions, I thoroughly enjoyed each one. Many of them were clearly exceptional in some way. But I could have come up with a similar wish list of improvements on any one of them. And, most of them had at least one thing designed stupidly. Battery placement & access on several of them was horrible. The Kawaski Concours had two helmet locks, both useless when the side luggage was installed (hidden behind the luggage). Kawasaki has been making that same machine for over 15 years - and hasn't fixed that. I had several big twins that wouldn't turn over fast enough to start when the temperature was in the 30's or lower (inadequate starter motor / lack of compression release).

There are no perfect machines - but there are some really good ones. Both of my current Suzuki's are exceptionally good rides.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts