Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a little curious here,..

I now have 10,000 miles on Milek's improved primary spline adapter. (2003 650)

I was just wondering if anyone has heard of a CVT failure on a 650 Burgman after being fitted with the improved adapter.

My bike now has 18,500 miles on it, runs like new, and I'm getting ready to take it on a couple of extended trips.

·
Administrator
18,723 Posts
just a little curious here,..

I now have 10,000 miles on milek's improved primary spline adapter. (2003 650)

i was just wondering if anyone has heard of a cvt failure on a 650 burgman after being fitted with the improved adapter.

my bike now has 18,500 miles on it, runs like new, and i'm getting ready to take it on a couple of extended trips.
nope. :d

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I think it's only been a couple of years since the first person got one here in the states ? I wonder when it was that he started selling these , any one know ? All that said so far so good .

TheReaper!

·
Registered
347 Posts
I have the adapter in mine and it too is as healthy as new. 25k on the clock and would not be in fear of taking it anywhere. Have fun on your trip!

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
I do not own a 650, however my observations regarding Milek's improved primary adapter are that it is the design the 650's should have had from the factory; instead of the Mickey Mouse 1/2 size thing they came with.

If I had an early 650 with his improved primary drive, installed at just 8500 miles, I would not hesitate to just ride and smile--anywhere I cared to go...

·
Administrator
18,723 Posts
I do not own a 650, however my observations regarding Milek's improved primary adapter are THAT it is the design the 650's should have had from the factory; instead of the Mickey Mouse 1/2 size thing they came with!!!

If I had an early 650 with his improved primary drive, installed at just 8500 miles, I would not hesitate to just ride and smile--anywhere I cared to go...
Yep!!! :D

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I appreciate the replies.

The bike was purchased new by an older fellow in West Virginia and I think he lost interest in it pretty quickly. I bought it in 2008 with 2600 miles on it in like new condition. I found out about the primary spline issue shortly afterwards but there wasn't anything to do about it except hope for the best. But then Milek came out with his improved adapter so I stuck one in my bike.

So far, it's been dependable as a stone ax, but I guess I'm still hoping for the best.

In any event, it's a 2003 and it doesn't have a lot of resale value so I just plan on riding it until one of us expires. (My resale value has gotten pretty low, also)

Until then, I'm keeping it fairly well maintained.

I'm going to hit the road with it in a week or so,..take my phone and my AAA card. If it pukes up its guts along the way, I'll just trade its remains for a bus ticket home.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Just to nitpick, his name is Mirek

Mirosław (Polish pronunciation: [miˈrɔswaf]) is a Polish given name of Slavic origin, equivalent to "Miroslav". It is composed of the elements miro meaning peace and sław meaning glory or fame, thus a person who loves peace, alternatively someone who achieves fame by establishing peace.
Diminutive forms include Mirek. Its feminine form is Mirosława ([mirɔˈswava]).
Individuals with this name may choose their name day from the following dates: February 2 or February 26.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Just a little curious here,..

I now have 10,000 miles on Milek's improved primary spline adapter. (2003 650)

I was just wondering if anyone has heard of a CVT failure on a 650 Burgman after being fitted with the improved adapter.

My bike now has 18,500 miles on it, runs like new, and I'm getting ready to take it on a couple of extended trips.
Thanks for the info and I hope you will stick around and keep us all updated , so far I think you are king of the hill on miles ?

TheReaper!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Could be, but I doubt it. I'm sure there's people with a lot more miles on the improved adapter than I've got on mine.

As for the adapter itself, I have no concerns about it at all. But there's been some fairly convincing speculation that a bad bearing on the primary shaft is responsible for many of the failures.

There's also a line of reasoning which says that the stock adapter wears badly enough to put excessive stress on the bearing.

And then,..some people think it's Karma.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I hope there is some follow up from others who have some miles on it here on this thread or on the forum . My best guess is the stock adapter did the bearing in and not the other way around .

TheReaper!

Could be, but I doubt it. I'm sure there's people with a lot more miles on the improved adapter than I've got on mine.

There's also a line of reasoning which says that the stock adapter wears badly enough to put excessive stress on the bearing.

And then,..some people think it's Karma.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I realize this is a new question to an old post, but....

Is this repair now the standard on new(er) 650's? From what I read nothing seems to have been reported since '09. 2011 seems to be the "not really a concern anymore" year.

Yes, I'm doing my best to justify a 650 over a 400. Coming from a Helix -which I thoroughly loved and would purchase again in a heartbeat- are a Helix worth of extra cc's worth the difference, the weight, the "flick-ability" and/or the (possibly) nagging thought of "when will she break?????"

Thanks

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
No it is not the standard on newer models , Suzuki came up with a different fix post 2004 . Most people who understand how the thing works think Suzuki should have used the Polish adapter instead of what they did . As far as the CC worth it goes , that depends on you and what you are looking for . If a smaller displacement bike works for you then go with that . I might suggest a little soul searching on your part , as in what do YOU want a bike to do for you ?

TheReaper!

I realize this is a new question to an old post, but....

Is this repair now the standard on new(er) 650's? From what I read nothing seems to have been reported since '09. 2011 seems to be the "not really a concern anymore" year.

Yes, I'm doing my best to justify a 650 over a 400. Coming from a Helix -which I thoroughly loved and would purchase again in a heartbeat- are a Helix worth of extra cc's worth the difference, the weight, the "flick-ability" and/or the (possibly) nagging thought of "when will she break?????"

Thanks

Reactions: cliffyk

·
Registered
28 Posts
No it is not the standard on newer models , Suzuki came up with a different fix post 2004 . Most people who understand how the thing works think Suzuki should have used the Polish adapter instead of what they did . As far as the CC worth it goes , that depends on you and what you are looking for . If a smaller displacement bike works for you then go with that . I might suggest a little soul searching on your part , as in what do YOU want a bike to do for you ?

TheReaper!
If this is the case, is it possible to use the Polish Adapter on newer models?

as for the "soul searching," I know the 400 is all I need. I just like the idea of the 650 answering the "What if I ever wanted/needed to..." question.

·
Administrator
18,723 Posts
If this is the case, is it possible to use the Polish Adapter on newer models?<<<SNIP>>>
No it is not able to use on the 2005 and up 650's. The MUCH improved, made in Poland adapter only fits 2002, 2003 and 2004 Burgman 650's.

But I am one of the ones that say Suzuki should have kept the 2002-2004 type of CVT primary adapter interface and made the Polish adapter "THE FIX"!

Reactions: captainfish

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
as for the "soul searching," I know the 400 is all I need. I just like the idea of the 650 answering the "What if I ever wanted/needed to..." question.
I've got both. Loved the 400 but, was entertaining the possibility of a trike or sidecar for a handicapped rider so, bought a 650. Haven't followed through with that idea but, have found I rarely take the 400 out these days, as I have made the 650 my daily driver, for two reasons. First, I like the increased freeway capability while still being more than pleased with in-town handling and second, I much prefer the wet clutch which keeps the drivetrain engaged to virtually a standstill, over the centrifugal clutch of the 400 which disengages at about 10 mph.

Reactions: gec343

·
May have gone but will be missed
2,682 Posts
I've got both. Loved the 400 but, was entertaining the possibility of a trike or sidecar for a handicapped rider so, bought a 650. Haven't followed through with that idea but, have found I rarely take the 400 out these days, as I have made the 650 my daily driver, for two reasons. First, I like the increased freeway capability while still being more than pleased with in-town handling and second, I much prefer the wet clutch which keeps the drivetrain engaged to virtually a standstill, over the centrifugal clutch of the 400 which disengages at about 10 mph.
FutureBurgerER?, 400 or 650, that is the question. It would be nice if you could test ride both. Try and then decide. It is obvious that the 400 is not going to be quite as fast as the 650, but the 400 can go up to 100 mph, so how fast do you need to go? The 400's acceleration is not bad either, and it is also very freeway capable. I've had a 400 for 2 1/2 years, 27,000 miles and it proves to be able to do everything I want, especially good at freeway cruising, I can ride two up doing 80 or 90 on the freeway, when I can, for hours with no sweat, it rides really nice, carrying me at 315 lb & gf at 225 lb. I keep 29 in the front tire, 36 in the back tire and suspension set at 7. And a big advantage is that the 400 is over 100 lbs lighter than the 650. That is very important for an old man like me, because sometimes it's even hard for me to hold up the 400. I like the 400's lightness and manuverability.
So take your pick, their both good, just see which one you like the feel of better.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts