Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have only had the machine a few days now and overall I like it , BUT :eek:

The seat may have to go , I dread doing the seat dance as I have done multiples of times on my other motorcycles. :roll:

There is a lot of noise that I suppose is the CVT , hope it quiets down after a few hundred miles, It's annoying :shock:

The suspension , or should i say lack of suspension is something I will definately need to address. On secondary roads where i usually ride it hammers and the whole machine bounces around a lot. The shocks are set at position two , and i think the lack of travel in the front exacerbates the problem.

On smooth roads it is very comfortable :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Perhaps you could put your bike details in your profile. :wink:

·
Registered
21 Posts
DandyDoug said:
Have only had the machine a few days now and overall I like it , BUT :eek:

The seat may have to go , I dread doing the seat dance as I have done multiples of times on my other motorcycles. :roll:

There is a lot of noise that I suppose is the CVT , hope it quiets down after a few hundred miles, It's annoying :shock:

The suspension , or should i say lack of suspension is something I will definately need to address. On secondary roads where i usually ride it hammers and the whole machine bounces around a lot. The shocks are set at position two , and i think the lack of travel in the front exacerbates the problem.

On smooth roads it is very comfortable :thumbup:
Doug, I have a bead pad on mine. I bought it a few years back for another bike I had. I have it, the seat fully back, and 1in risers on the handlebars with a slight angle back on them. Back rest in transit to complete the comfort package. Seems to be good so far. Not sure about the shocks. You can change the oil.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have both a sheep skin and a beaded seat and use them on the other bikes i have owned for several years now.

Today I rode with the sheep skin , it's a bit long since it covers the seat and the back rest. I have the back rest set as far to the rear as it will move, but felt sort of pushed forward on the seat. I may trim it down and see if that helps.

Next ride i will put the beads on and see how that goes.

Taking a trip next week from NC. to KY. that should tell me pretty clearly what , if anything i need to do with the seat. :thumbup:

As my wife SWMBO says, the Marqui de Sade , is alive and well making OEM seats for the motorcycle industry :wink:

·
Administrator
18,383 Posts
Doug, there are a few seat pads out there. I got mine at Walmart and its gel foam. And there are aftermarket seats too. Check out http://www.Burgmanbrothers.com for Member Blakeisback's (Cary) seat foam and cover replacement. There are others out there too. If your legs are too close, you can remove the but bumper. Some of us have bought aftermarket back pads. Again a member on here makes one, BearCat (Brad) that I have and like. Its an Isuzu Rodeo head rest that Brad modifies. And Cary has a matching cover for it too.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
The backrests make a big comfort difference and BeadRider works wonders.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I find that the problem is not the seat it's the terrible 'buttrest'. I scrapped it and bought a ready-shaped Izuru backrest from 'Bearcat' (he's on this forum) coupled with a 'Putnam' blow-up pillow - the pillow is only about £7 over here and it's worth it's weight in gold. I no longer have any seating problems. See pix

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
DandyDoug said:
I have the back rest set as far to the rear as it will move, but felt sort of pushed forward on the seat. I may trim it down and see if that helps.
Remove the butt rest and try it.

·
Administrator
18,383 Posts
roy_ryall said:
DandyDoug said:
I have the back rest set as far to the rear as it will move, but felt sort of pushed forward on the seat. I may trim it down and see if that helps.
To remove the Butt stop, open the trunk and in the plastic is two 3/8 diamiter holes with a screw in each one. While it is a Japanese type JIS Phillips screw, a real good fresh Phillips tip should fit. Those screws are in tight so make sure that the tip is sharp and squared up then push and twist. Then move the lever and it should just pull out.

JIS is Japanese Industrial Standard and are just a bit different than SAE or Metric. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_I ... _Standards

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I always suggest finding a good backrest before changing the seat. After you find the backrest situation that suits you then move on to fixing the seat.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Dave_J said:
To remove the Butt stop, open the trunk and in the plastic is two 3/8 diamiter holes with a screw in each one. While it is a Japanese type JIS Phillips screw, a real good fresh Phillips tip should fit. Those screws are in tight so make sure that the tip is sharp and squared up then push and twist. Then move the lever and it should just pull out.

JIS is Japanese Industrial Standard and are just a bit different than SAE or Metric. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_I ... _Standards[/quote]

Dave are those fairly large head screws? I have looked and see two that are pretty big.. like 3/4" or so... wondering if those are the correct screws to loosen..

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Today i put my bead rider on top of the sheepskin and sat on it in the garage.
Moved the sheep skin so it was not up on the butt rest behind my back.
Felt pretty good.

Had planned to go out for a bit of back road wandering, but the rain and wind changed my mind.

Supposed to be a bit cooler the next few days , so I will try and get in a couple more rides before leaving on the trip Thursday.
I never liked the cruiser motorcycle riding position , always made my low back hurt.
I prefer to sit up or lean a bit forward, when my back bothers me i wear a wide belt called Back-A -Line . It helps make you not slouch and relieves pressure on the low back.

Wish i had a nickle back for all the $$ I have spent over the years on supposed custom made seats.
Some were better than others, none were perfect IMHO.

·
Administrator
18,383 Posts
Dave_J said:

JIS is Japanese Industrial Standard and are just a bit different than SAE or Metric. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_I ... _Standards
Noth said:
Dave are those fairly large head screws? I have looked and see two that are pretty big.. like 3/4" or so... wondering if those are the correct screws to loosen..
Look here. (Pic stolen from LeDudes Vid) Click on pic to expand.
[attachment=0:24xvse2i]SEAT.jpg[/attachment:24xvse2i]

Attachments

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Forget about the "good quality" Phillips bit. Use the screw drivers from the tool kit, they fit perfectly.

The good quality Phillips bits are just better than lesser quality ones at taking the abuse of being used to turn a screw in which head they don't fit properly.

The "joke" screw drivers from the tool kit and the Hozan brand JIS screwdrivers will keep themselves upright if I insert them in for instance the tunnel cover or master cylinder cover screws.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Dave.. Thanks a lot !!! I was looking at those bigger ones ahead of that area.. appreciate it !

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
The bigger ones you are referring to actually hold the brace to lock the buttpad in place. They do come loose sometimes. I find those two little screws to be as helpful as a blister on my foot.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank guys :thumbup:

I will ride it tomorrow with just the beads on and then take the butt rest off and start over with the naked seat, followed by the sheep skin , then the beads.

I sort of like the idea of some sort of a back rest/butt stop to help keep my posture straighter. I tend to slouch on cruisers and it makes my low back hurt after only a few miles.

Today i shimmed up my Throttle rocker, it was slipping instead of holding in place.

I noticed on LeDudes page he has a spot for heated grips , but it does not open ??

Has anyone successfully added heated grips ??

How about an electronic cruise control ??

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Jim,

Your seat is a good example of the diy. It may not always look pretty, but once it is covered up it does not show nor does it really matter that much. As long as it is glued together properly it will be ok.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts