Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been down the road. Boston to Seattle 10 times, Boston to Newfoundland 6 or 7 times, many long trips on bikes of all sizes. My riding gear is worn, my boots show it. I have broken down far from help and sometimes my skills got me out of the jam, sometimes I had to stay in hotel until a wrecker came.

In other words, I dont owe any other rider an explanation as to what I ride.

A funny thing happened today:

A guy at the local seaside park, riding a big VTX, was talking bikes with me, and wrapped up the convo with, ":You'd never catch me on that thing, as nice as it is..."

I said, " you mean youre too big a man to be seen on this fine machine????, Or do mean by catch, a certain contest of speed???"

He says. "Both".

"well:, I replied, You can ride what you like, and I ride what I like, but if you think jes because you ride a Harley or a clone, you can fight and F---k better than me...well...there's only one way to find out that alot of testosterone is being spoken here".

" yeah but there's no way that little plastic bag can out run the VTX"

"Care to make it interesting????"

"20-40....50???"

" 20 bucks to the end of the M'head causway..you want to pay now...", he says".

I say, nah....let's see what happens at PReston beach". I am thrilled, I havent street raced since I was 20.

Nod .....we're off I am way out front in a one mile - one bike race. I glance back in the rear view....he's looking for something between his legs...or his left foot, but comming on strong.

I was parked at Preston beach 20 seconds before he even rode by...and he didnt stop and pay me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

I am sure I will see hime around the coffe shops and have a good laugh, about his excuses.

Ride on Burger Brothers and sisters.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Excellent story. I too once owned the VTX 1800 Honda. Infact I sold it and bought the Burgman and never looked back. I guess some "men" are a little insecure with thier manhood and think that a 650cc engine won't show how much of a "man" they are.
Well I for one don't care what others think about what I ride. I'm not riding to please other people or get their approval of what I ride. Don't care if you wave or not. I can tell you this though about owning the Burgman. Its like I am a kid again and can't wait to ride the thing. I guess being older though I also look at the practical side of owning the Burgman since it can carry so much, especially since I put the trunk on the back too.
Don't get me wrong, I like to get up and go too and this bike fools alot of people which just adds icing on the cake.
Been a long time since I owned a do it all well bike like the Burgman. One of the best kept secrets out there.

·
Premium Member
2,857 Posts
Cool story. I felt like I was there.

Ive never raced any other motorcycle since Ive gotten my Burgman. If I read your story with truth behind it. It must mean that the Burger can hold its own. (Not to refocus your post,) Has anyone else "raced" something and either beat it or kept up with it? Prior to your story I would have been too scared to "race" because I thought there wouldnt have been a chance in the world for me to win or match.
-Bryan

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well its not a habit

I dont throw the gauntlet every time. This was all me, not him. I jsut rode about 100 mi, the rt 127 rt 22 circuit. Famous NE bike rd. Cold. But sun came out.

The 650 is sooo pefect in every way, that it is begging for an even better touring suspension package. But its good, very good.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Way to go abm....my hats off to you. I have one question though. Did you keep it in auto, power auto or manual shift?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
allwalk said:
Way to go abm....my hats off to you. I have one question though. Did you keep it in auto, power auto or manual shift?
Power mode all the way, hit the button again into normal at the end.

·
Registered
498 Posts
abm, nice one.

The VTX will outdrag the Rune 1800cc flat six and cover the standing quarter in about 13.5 seconds with a professional Honda test rider on board. The 650 will cover the same distance in 15 seconds. Looks like your friend doesn't know how to ride his motorcycle...

Funny thing about image - in Tokyo, big scooters are the most fashionable and coolest way to travel, outside Harley Davidsons. They have almost completely wiped out the geared road-bike market below 400cc. This giant is viewed in a similar way to a BMW RT when out in the mountains - pure 'easy' touring enthusiasts machine. There is no stigma over here. Besides, with all the bends over here, and real achievable top speeds of around 75mph on the tight mountain passes, your riding skills say more about you than your choice of machine.

With all the Impreza WRX STi drivers and Skyline GTR drivers over here - well, to be honest, even your standard family sedan has 280bhp over here - you do meet the odd challenge from the lights. This cow does know how to move when you hit the Power Mode button. I have not been embarrassed yet.

If you try racing litre bikes, they'll need to rev over 6,000rpm and 90bhp to gap you - at which point they appear to riding like hooligans in road conditions. I once raced a CBR929, and without enough space to gap us I stuck right with him. After the third standing start, in frustration he almost flipped his 929 trying to get away... He was solo, I was riding with the girlfriend with 20kg if camping stuff under the seat.

Have fun out there.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Agree

If he KNEW what he was doing and didnt mind a little clutch wear; well the outcome would ahve been a very diff story.

IMO - only 5% of riders know how to max the standing start race ala 1/4.

You couild see jes by lookin that this dude wasnt carrying the goods. I realize that's a gross value judgement, but Ive called it right 9-10 times just by the clothing.

And I jgot it wrong once with a guy in a 3 piece suit. - long story.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Re: Agree

abm said:
And I jgot it wrong once with a guy in a 3 piece suit. - long story.
Hmmmm....'Road Stories' seems like the correct forum for a long story.
<hint, hint, hint> :)

Bill

1 - 9 of 9 Posts