Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On June the 23rd 2005 after a short ride to viset some friends and a visit to the local Kroger store. I was making my way home 15 miles of US 44 a realy nice road to ride , at about the halfway point I saw a red pickup going the other way and I was running about 50mph and so was the truck. Doing what I asways do I watched the truck planing an excape rout , when we were just about to pass each other I looked over the bed of the truck and saw a large (DEER) coming my way!!!!! :( no time to react just hold on for dear life, The guy in the car that was behind me saw it all and helped me get out of the middle of the road, and got someone to call th cops and the ambulance . The emts helped me out of my ridding pants and jacket and checked me over , and the sheriffs deputy was having a hard time trying to decide what to charge whome with! Me for hunting out of season and with unaprover methods, or the deer with jaywalking and being a hazard on the roadway. any way the long and short of it is that I have a fractured pelvis at the left hip socat and a bad case of road rash on my left elbow, no weight on my left leg for 8 weeks and who how much longer with light weight. the insurance adjuster says 1400 bucks worth of tupper wear damage but the shop will find more , BTW my son came and got the bike and he rode it home and said that it rode just fine, so am looking to the day that I can get on it again and see if I can still ride gotta try, and I dont think that there will be any problims any way ride safe and enjoy Dewight :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
550 Posts
Right about the same day my wife and I had the closest call I've ever had with a deer. I'm 39 and have lived in Oklahoma most of my life so that's saying something!! I locked up the brakes and missed it by less than 5 feet. Scared the crap outa me, my wife and the deer. :pottytrain5: One thing I can say is we ride a GREAT bike! The low center of gravity kept me skidding straight and didn't get squirelly at all, the brakes stopped me quick with 400 lbs of rider weight on top of it.
The next day I went to Wal-mart and bought some fog lights and deer whistles. I don't know if deer whistles really work or not, but I figured for five dollars it was worth trying. I'll post pictures real soon.
Hang in there Bro, get well soon. I'll take a ride or two for ya...lol.
:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Well at least you can make lite of it.. Glad it was not worse, the bike damage means nothing.
So who did get the ticket :D

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Glad you are ok!

Glad to hear you are OK! I'm going to have some leftover parts and possibly some Tupperware if you will be fixing the bike yourself. Did you at least get to put some venison in your freezer? :D

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Sorry to hear about your accident Dewight but I'm glad you were able to post about it. Recover quickly and I hope your scoot gets back together faster than mine.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Wow! I'm glad that you survived that! Deer can sure be scary. Almost as scary as drivers talking on cell phones... It sounds like both you and the scooter held up pretty well considering the collision. Heal quickly!

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Hope the hip mends quickly and you are feeling fit as a fiddle before long!
Deer can be scarey even in a cage. Glad it wasn't worse. I think you should get an honorary tag (out of season) as the victim of another brutal deer-assault! I imagine it would make for a good Far Side addition...

...Jake, the deer, has been wanting to ride a scooter for a long time now and sees his chance to hop on one...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Glad you are on the mend. The deer are a constant presence in eastern North Carolina. All the farm land provides food and open spaces. Last month saw doe and young one coming across field. I knew they would intersect the road about the time I arrived. Had time to slow and, sure enough, they jumped fences and crossed the road directly in front of me. Good to see them in time -
Hope you mend soon. Get back on the bike. All shall be well.

Canon :?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Sorry for your bad luck but at least you kept your sense of humor. Hope you heal up quickly so we can meet up for another ride.. I just came back from West Virginia this weekend and I have the walmart deer whistles installed.. Don't know if they would have helped in this situation but I was able to observe some deer reactions to my bike and I believe they work.

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well I will try to answer some of the questions . The deer got the ticket it was dead on the sean!!!The 400k5 will bee in the shop just as soon as I can get some help putting it on a trailor to take to the shop and I am looking forward that first ride its the most important one for me, the skills and the desire are still there but is the nerve? Oh well its not the first time I have droped one and it probibly wont be the last , it only hurts when I cry so I will laff and let the rest of you join in Its been a ride lets do it again :wink: :wink: ride safe and enjoy Dewight

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well folks today 7-29-05 I went to the docs, office and got some good news can now put 20 pounds of weight on my left leg and was given permision to drive my 5 speed pickup . Better mobility and more independance! Then I goofed up when I put the truck in the garage , there sat casper , all banged up and had not been started in more than 5 weeks . I had to set on it then I had to put the side stand up and of course I had to see if he would start, of course he did at the first push of the starter button . So I just sat there and let it warm up to normal temp. It was all I could do to keep from turnning it around and taking a very short ride ( not a good idea right now) :cry: :cry: :cry: OH well mabe in three more weeks the doc. will let me try walking , and maybe mCasper will bee gohsting along again Ride safe and enjoy Dewight

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
That's grand news Dewight! I'm really glad to hear that your healing up nicely, outstanding!

Now, for the downside. If you don't do what the Doc says, it's gonna take forever to heal up completely. I know, been there done that, got the scars to prove it. Sitting on Casper is OK, starting Casper is OK, but riding Casper is not only not OK, but would be foolhardy at best in the shape he's in now (not to mention the shape you're in). You have no idea what damage there is under the tupperware or how it would affect the bike. Please wait till you're better & have time to assess the damage properly.

I'd really hate to see you rush things, make a bad decision, & wind up racked up worse than you are. I only say this hoping you'll realize that I want you back out on the road ASAP, HEALTHY, & on a bike you can count on.

If you want or need help getting Casper back into shape, I'll be happy to assist any way I can, you have but to ask! Mt. Eden isn't that far from south Louisville (41 miles, according to Yahoo maps), & I wouldn't mind at all making the trip to help out a fellow Burgman owner, especially if it'll allow you to rest easy & heal up before you try to get back out on your bike.

Let me know if you need anything,

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well finaly goy off the vrutches . and after doing a little work on the 400 k5 ( put stock shild back on ,straaitened givi sr115 mount and cleaned up a little 0 ON sEPT. 6 WENT FOR MY FIRST REAL RIDE , SENCE HITTING THE DEER. dIDNT SCARE ME GOT A BIG GRIN RODE SLOWLY AND ONLY WENT ABOUT 40 MILES NOW ITS TIME TO GET IT IN THE SHOP AND HAVE THE TUPPERWEAR FIXEDAND i WILL JOIN wILLY IN A COURIS OF on the road agsin!!! Ride safe and enjoy Dewight

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Congrats DeWight on your recovery... Glad you are able to ride again. Just wondering why you've waited till now to put the bike in the shop? Now you'll be another 4 or 5 weeks getting it back. Of course, you'll probably heal even more in that time frame.

Good Luck,

Joe

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Cool. I would probably of had a heart attack before I evn got to the deer an never would have been able ta ride again. Good going on getting better DeWight - that HAD to have hurt!
Pete

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Glad to hear your recovery seems to be going well. You've done well if your off the crutches already.

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The reason I am just now getting ready to take it to the shop is that on crutches I couldnot load it on the trailer to take it, now I can. couldnt see any other way oh well just so long as it looks pretty!!!!! Ride safe and enjoy Dewight

1 - 20 of 20 Posts