Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I did the dirty deed and agreed to px my beloved Burgie against a Yamaha FJR1300! It was a hard decision because I have been extremely pleased with my near 3 years of Burgman ownership. I just fancied a change to a full out touring motorcycle while I am still relatively young enough to throw my leg over a bike!

Like the Burgie, it will only be my once-a-year touring bike with occasional fair weather weekend use.

It's been great adding to the forum and I'll still pop back from time to time to see how things are going. Who knows, I might even be back as a Burgman owner in the future.

Thanks for all the chat over the years.

Steve

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Nooooooooo! Best of luck - you'll be missed.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
nice pick, I've been looking at that bike for few years, most of people say they are better than BMW RT's and Concours... i guess you're headed to fjrowners dot com?

·
Registered
132 Posts
The FJR is a wonderful bike. Hard to find a used one with less than 20,000 miles. You can find all kinds of Concours with 10,000 miles or less used. I am looking at a new "old" stock FJR that is sitting on the showroom floor. The owner said that if the valves needed adjustment before 30,000 miles that he would put it in writing that the service would be done FREE!! I think the FJR is the best touring bike for the money!
respectfully,

David Miller

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The one I'm getting is a 2010 model with 12,000 miles on the clock. Full main dealer service history and the main dealer I'm getting it from was the supplying dealer and have carried out every service from brand new. They are also carrying out the major 12,000 mile service for me as part if the deal and putting a fresh MOT certificate on it. (In the UK any private car or motorcycle has to have a roadworthy check every year from when they are 3 years old. Without this certificate you cannot purchase a road fund licence and your insurance will be invalid).
It's got a few extras too - Yamaha top box, Yamaha comfort gel seats, remote alarm system, mirror and foot wind guards plus crash bungs which I'm hoping will never been needed!
I'm pleased so far and will be even more so when I pick it up it in a few days time. :D

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
As you get older, your leg will feel heavier and you will be back. Guess how I know?

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Steve, enjoy your vacation from the Burgman. As osbornk said you'll be back. But in the mean time I hope you get many miles of fun and comfortable touring. Remember to stop in and let us know how you like your 'new' bike.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Sorry that you leave, have 2 friend with FJR bike, great machine, fast also.

Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy !

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Good luck with your new ride Steve and enjoy it!:D Stop back and let us know how you are doing!
Ride safe!

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Steve, I wish you the best with your new motorcycle. I understand your point of view. I bought my Burgman due to health problems. It is nice to know that there is a bike out there that we can ride when we reach the point to where we can no longer ride the bikes we have always ridden. Good luck with your new bike, it is a good one.

Namaste'
Doug in Kentucky (USA)

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
take care, Steve -- it's a very nice bike

·
Registered
26 Posts
I highly recommend the FJR's. I've had two 06s and an 08. I still kept my 06 Burgman 650 Exec. I bought my first 06 FJR AE with 11,000 on the clock in June of 2011 and it went down in May of 2012 with about 28,000 on the clock. I bought the second 06 FJR AE with 16,000 on the clock and I still have it with 41,000 on the clock. It's going up for sale in the spring. I bought my 08 FJR AE with 22,000 at the end of October and it has 25,000 now.

I've loved all my FJRs and everything about them. Like most motorcycles there may be certain adjustments to make for comfortable touring. Highway Pegs, Touring triple tree with risers, and touring seat are the main ones that come to mind.

I find that the AEs automatic clutch makes riding a little scooter like, it's still very different then the Burgman. The Burgman is just easier to ride and in many ways more comfortable. On the other hand the FJR has almost limitless power to spare. The FJR can make the jump from 65 MPH to 130 MPH in seconds, where the Burgman barely keeps accelerating after about 90 MPH. The Burgman will keep accelerating to 105-110 MPH but getting there slowly from 90 MPH. The FJR will handle rough roads, turns at speed and many unrelenting hard riding hours better. but again the Burgman handles all these things pretty well. Without a doubt the Burgman is easier to handle in bad traffic and city riding then the FJR. Also the Burgman is just easier in everyway then the FJR.

The true best solution is to have them both!!

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Congratulations Steve - even though I love the Concours, I've gotta say the FJR is a spectacular bike. You're going to have a great time with her. Glad you found one with so few miles on the clock. Have a wonderful time!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Steve

I also recently sold my Burgman but for different reasons, and will also definetly be back as a Burgman owner. Already missing the Burgman.

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
lucky boy

look forward to seeing it matey i will also be making a move soon so the burgmans up for sale looking at a bmw rt this time funds permitting.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
look forward to seeing it matey i will also be making a move soon so the burgmans up for sale looking at a bmw rt this time funds permitting.
My friend has a R1200RT that he had when he bought his Burgman 650 two years ago. He said if had to sell one, he would sell the BMW and keep the Burgman.

·
Registered
739 Posts
That will be a big change for sure.. good luck with the new bike..

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Hey Steve - Congratz.
My brother in law has had FJRs for the last 6 years or so and we have done loads of tours together. You will be relieved to learn he did not have too much trouble keeping up with me.;)

Don't be a stranger.:)

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Pictures,pictures,pictures ;) My son looked at those but went with a used Victory 8 Ball Vision

1 - 20 of 25 Posts