Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Made the deal last night

I now have a 2006 650 non-executive Burgman

I bought it sight unseen, but the seller and I talked on the phone and my confidence is high.

It has a tall windshield, heated grips, Givi box and a Corbin seat. The seller is having new tires installed before I pick it up

This is a good running bike.

Now my question. It has 29000 miles on it. Even though it is running well now, what should I expect. I will have about 5 weeks of garage time with it before spring. I am sort of half-handy working on bikes, but this is my first scooter.

Any thoughts you have will be appreciated.

Blakers

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Congratulation !

Bike still get wear with time even if low mile on it, suggest you check and tighten all fastener, bolt, clip etc., check all hose for rot, crack and deteriation, change brake fluid, change cooling system fluid, verify brake pads for rust and wear and grease all pin, tires will be new but wheel bearing could be failing so worth check those as well. If all oil more than 5-6 month old it will have moisture in it now so change all lubricant, change engine oil filter with new one when do oil change, verify and clean air filter, check all light and bulb. Even not done previously very important verify CVT stopper bolt, change if necessary, inspect and clean CVT air filter. Probably require 2 new spark plug if not done in last 4000-5000 km.

Go to LeDude Burgman Center for all tutorial needed, LeDude tutorial make all maintenance easy for all.

You can put Shell Rotella Triple Protection 15W-40 in engine and clutch, put Mobil 1, Lucas or Amsoil synthetic 75w90 gear oil in final drive.

Oil filter does not have to be Suzuki OEM at $15.00 many other good quality oil filter will do @$5.00 - $7.00 each.

All here will help if you need.

Suzuki OEM oil filter - Part # 16510-03G00-X07

CVT stopper bolt new model 21748-10G10 26 lb/ft torque
Inspect at 3000-4000 km, change bolt at 12,000 to 15,000 km.

Burgman 650 wheel bearing
Front 6203-2RSH x 2
Rear 6204-2RSH x 2

Reset of Oil Change Indicator
1) Turn off ignition.
2) Hold both the SELECT and RESET buttons in.
3) Turn ON ignition
4) After 2 second the indicator to change oil should extinguish.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
That's a real good list. Not much to add but welcome to BUSA and congratulations!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanx. Some.good ideas
Living in Canada (home of the five month riding season) almost 30K is a lot of mileage
I love the fact that these things use Rotella, that's what I used in the KLR I just traded to.get the Burgman

·
Registered
3,142 Posts

·
Registered
1,116 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I never had heard of it before, but I got a chance to scan it at lunch and it is quite a comprehensive bike forum. Maybe not specifically for scooters, but lots of info and seem to cover all ages of riders, Not just old folks.

Wait a sec,,,,, I am only 55. Maybe I am a youngster in the Burgman world.

Cheers

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Wait a sec,,,,, I am only 55. Maybe I am a youngster in the Burgman world.

Cheers
On jees, I'm not even 50 yet and I bought my first maxi scooter at 32, practically a zygote in the Burgman world.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Yeah - there are a few Burgman riders on GTAM but really the 650 is a "ride" - it's not really what most would label scooters.
I liked this description from a rider here

The Burgman 650 is a cross between a scooter, Goldwing and bullet bike. It's fast, comfortable and very manuverable. Braking is outstanding. Storage is terrific. I've owned many, many bikes of all brands and models, but the Burgman 650 is the best two wheeled vehicle I've ever owned. I bought my wife and 2002 for an anniversary present. At the time, I was riding a J1500 kawasaki Indian look alike, which I have since given my oldest son. I loved that bike, but must say that I love the Burgman even more. Now, my wife and I ride together, hassel free, with greater ease than any bikes we've had in the past. The seating and storage can't be beat. You can ride all day without paralyzing your crotch or hands. Gas milage, on the highway, is about 50 mpg, with 47 in the city. Manuverablity, in the city or on the highway is terrific. Acceleration, especially if you hit the power button, is excellent. You can easily put a muscle car down off the line and even do well against cruzers and smaller bullet bikes
Lines are very blurred in this category but there is a Maxi thread on there that you should look up and add your impressions to. A few have bought into the category due to the info here.

The other Toronto forum is hard core scoots and mainly in the more traditional small displacement.

The good thing about GTAM is the "where to ride" info and hookups for rides.

This forum is the mothership for Burgmans :D

I have two other rides as well so participate in the GTAM and the ADVRider forums with the KLR and the ST1100.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
'' The Burgman 650 is a cross between a scooter, Goldwing and bullet bike. It's fast, comfortable and very manuverable. Braking is outstanding. Storage is terrific. I've owned many, many bikes of all brands and models, but the Burgman 650 is the best two wheeled vehicle I've ever owned. I bought my wife and 2002 for an anniversary present. At the time, I was riding a J1500 kawasaki Indian look alike, which I have since given my oldest son. I loved that bike, but must say that I love the Burgman even more. Now, my wife and I ride together, hassel free, with greater ease than any bikes we've had in the past. The seating and storage can't be beat. You can ride all day without paralyzing your crotch or hands. Gas milage, on the highway, is about 50 mpg, with 47 in the city. Manuverablity, in the city or on the highway is terrific. Acceleration, especially if you hit the power button, is excellent. You can easily put a muscle car down off the line and even do well against cruzers and smaller bullet bikes ''

So true !

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Welcome and congratulations on your new ride. When others ask what I ride I say my Burgman is a scooter on steroids. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts