Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
That's right, I'm sick of the " hello Mr Harley Davidson bad ass" with 600 miles on your clock per year wave...I never had a problem with the wave when I rode a Kawi, but now it seems a riders are bit click-ee, so i don't even wave back when I get the occasional one!

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
That's right, I'm sick of the " hello Mr Harley Davidson bad ass" with 600 miles on your clock per year wave...I never had a problem with the wave when I rode a Kawi, but now it seems a riders are bit click-ee, so i don't even wave back when I get the occasional one!

I just not bother with hardlie AH me learn many year ago not to wave until hardlie AH wave first, I not care one way or other about hardlie ant it rider.

Me wave to all non hardlie motorcyclist.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
The only ones I don't wave to are the ones I don't see because of traffic. Most of them wave back too.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I wave to every bike rider no mater what size bike or make .I even wave to the police on bikes ,most wave back. As for all the ones that don't I HUNT THEM DOWN AND KILL THEM ( only kidding :) ) .....the wave is more for me than them and if they wave back its a bonus

·
Registered
31 Posts
If it's a Harley coming I often wait for the wave first - no wave, I don't wave. Otherwise I wave at every two wheeler I see.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I wave because that's who I am. Why should someone else's behavior affect who I am? they've no power over my behavior. If they wave back, great. If they don't, that's says more about them than me.

·
Registered
68 Posts
The only ones I don't wave to are the ones I don't see because of traffic. Most of them wave back too.
Same here... I don't really see any difference in the amount of waves I get by different types or brands of bikes. I'd say that around here (North Carolina) 90% of people wave.

Back in Iowa where I grew up, it was closer to about 60‰. One difference, though, between NC & IA is that you see almost zero sport bikes. 90‰ are V twin of some sort... Then again, in Iowa you can go 318 miles with less than 11 turns (seriously) and here you can ride the Dragon and have 318 turns in 11 miles.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I always find it interesting that people don't get waves from Harleys. I always do, they usually initiate, but if they don't, they never don't wave back (unless busy). Actually, the only ones who don't wave back are other Suzukis (bikes not Burgs) -- :( Maybe they're just jealous because my Suzuki is way more cool than their Suzuki? LOL

·
Registered
630 Posts
BMWs are the no-wave crowd up here, who knows why. Worrying about expensive parts and dealer maintenance? :confused:

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Speaking of waving...

In my little corner of the world, I've noticed a distinct up tick in waving in the past dozen or so years. It used to be 25 years ago, waves could only be had only in more remote areas, never in the city, and generally by a biker that was riding something similar to what you were. Harley's never waved to ANYONE but other Harleys. Jap bikes waved to fellow jap bikers. etc. No one waved to scooters and most scooterist, generally newbies, didn't know to wave having no one ever extend such a curtesy to them.

But now most wave regardless of bike type or brand, in city or not. Even Harley riders seem much more amenable to The practice. I often get waves back or even preemptive waves. Most excellent!

So what changed?

I think in the Harley realm its because they were almost put out of business by the Japanese back in the 80s. But Harley sales battled back and with their success now secured, riders no longer feel animosity.

Any thoughts anyone?

·
Registered
211 Posts
In my area, I'd say about 70% of the riders are HD/big v-twin cruisers, 28% ninja sportbike riders, and 2% 250cc type basic rider styles.

1 out of 7 HD/cruiser types wave - the others pretend they don't see you.:hmph:

1 out of 5 ninja dudes wave - the other 4 are too busy weaving in and out of traffic to let go of their grips.:bounce:

1 out 3 of the other types wave - the others seem oblivious to everything around them.:tard:

So that is about a 20% ratio overall.:study:

Just makes me wonder if I should ever even let go of my left hand grip just in case they do......:wave:

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I pass this one dude every day on his mean Harley, I waved like 12 days in a row, no reply...So I took the piss out of him now and I take my legs and kick them out in the air and shake them all about like, oooohhh hello tough guy, I suppose you think I'm just another gay boy on a girls bike? Lol

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I like the Australian nod - when I first started riding there could not figure out why no wave.

Then I saw the little twist head nod.

It makes some sense as you keep both hands on the bike.

Shall we import it :D

·
Registered
585 Posts
I started riding in 1965 (49 years ago!) - never seen anyone wave at each other and I didn't wave to anyone else. This habit of waving to anyone on 2 wheels seems to have gotten started in the early-mid 80s as far as I can remember. So I started waving back. I think I've waved to every rider in the state of Washington at least once - and some two or three times. I got so damned tired of waving that I stopped!

Waving seems like a stupid idea who's time has come to just go away.

Whats the point?

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I like the Australian nod - when I first started riding there could not figure out why no wave.

Then I saw the little twist head nod.

The Motorcycle Nod - YouTube

It makes some sense as you keep both hands on the bike.

Shall we import it :D
They have to nod, they ride on the wrong side of the road! Lol. Just joking.

I love this guys narrative though.

But the hand that is usually free (left) can't be seen and the right hand is busy with the throttle. Unless you want to make some goofy left-hand gesture up in the air.

Personally, I like the two finger sideways peace sign

·
Registered
123 Posts
Most wave and the Harley's that don't are usually the ones without a helmet and trying to look really macho. I usually wave first. A week ago when we had a 70 deg day I think all the bikers were giddy being able to get out and ride. Only one didn't wave and then there was one that used his hand to do a twirly over his head--not sure the message on that one.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
. Only one didn't wave and then there was one that used his hand to do a twirly over his head--not sure the message on that one.
Cop up ahead maybe? Usually its a pat on top of the helmet, but I've seen a twirly finger to represent law enforcement ahead of you.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I nod also but to single riders when there is a group I usually just leave my hand in the air as I ride by them. Or the English way is to lift the pointing finger up while you hand still is on the grip. I have often wondered if I could get one of those stick on hands that keep on waving ,sort of like the hula girl that you put on car dashes that used to shake her hips :)

1 - 20 of 63 Posts