Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So hubby thinks I should wait for a 650. Which yeah of course I would like the bigger one. However with as little as I ride could I justify buying the bigger more expensive 650 over the 400. I mean, will the 400 keep up going 70-80 mph on the road with just one person on it?

The 400 is 2,000 less and is way cheaper on insurance for me. I could get a 400 at the end of January but would need to wait until the end of April for a 650 plus have a bigger down payment and double the insurance.

I'm thinking get a 400 and next year or two if I ride more than upgrade to the 650 and maybe the Executive model will be here by then.

I only ride with the SCRC once a month and ride with hubby now and then around the back roads here. Could a 400 make a 300 mile trip one direction without any problems?

I'm trying to decide if I need to just get one in a few weeks with the income tax or not.

AAAHHH!!!! I want one now!!! :cry:

Okay I'm done ranting. Off to call hubby about the Red Type S model now.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Nancy, being a 400 owner...and really OLD...I may be biased, but theres several of us with 400's and wouldn't think of trading up to 650 as they suit us perfectily. I frequently ride interstate at 70-80 indicated (speedo's are fast) with some to spare. We have often ridden 200 miles in a day, leisurely, several stops, etc. When we ride in a group its usually 50-60 as we hit mainly the back roads, and some twisties. See no reason why 300 would be any problem. Also, after one or two valve adjustments, its pretty much maint free, and if you do have mechanical probs its cheaper to fix than the big one. I've ridden the 650 and it didn't suit me. You need you somehow find a way to ride both scoots. Or look for a good used 400 to start with. Best of luck........keep us informed about "Nancy's Scooter Saga".

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Get a 400.

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Get a 400 and make it earn its keep. :)

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DonRich90 said:
Pinwheel said:
So hubby thinks I should wait for a 650.
How big is "Hubby"? Sounds like he may have a secret agenda :lol:
Don
I actually asked him that. LOL He said he has absolutely no intentions of riding it. He may take it around the block to see what it does but that's it.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ted clement said:
Or look for a good used 400 to start with. Best of luck........keep us informed about "Nancy's Scooter Saga".
Told hubby to look for a used one. He said he will not buy another used bike (his is used) besides, the bank has better rates on new than used.

My "Scooter Saga" seems like it will be never ending. LOL I emailed him the link to the S. He was actually impressed with it. So, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I can get one next month. I got good deal lined up on a 2004 400. Just need to get the down payment. It's blue and I've already sat on it.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
NormanB said:
Get a 400.

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Get a 400 and make it earn its keep. :)
My dream would be to get one before Jan 22nd so I can go on the dice run. I know I will ride a lot more if...I mean WHEN I get one.

·
Super Moderator
8,074 Posts
I have owned a 400 and now a 650. The main reason was 2 up riding, which I do 95 %. I did manage to get 3,000 miles on the 400 2 up. It was ok for normal riding, but higher sustained speeds the 650 is better. If you are 90 -95% solo, the 400 will be just fine even at the higher speed (75-80 mph indicated). If you do a fair amount of 2 up (50%) with speeds around 60 mph, you will be fine with the 400.
I have gone on group rides, me 2 up on the 650, with solo riders on the 400, the performance was similar, the 2 up 400 riders did OK as well. It really depends on the type of riding you do. If it's "your" scooter, primarily alone, go for the 400.
Just remember, the more miles on it the better it gets. I almost didn't get the 650 because the power was adequate, the ride was just a bit too bumpy for me.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Nancy,

The best thing you can do is to go test ride both bikes and then make your decision. Both are great machines. The weight / size isn't a real consideration for me while it might be for other people. The 400 is a very capable bike and I wouldn't be worried riding it across the country. There's tradeoffs with either bike. You just need to decide which you prefer and get it. :wink:

·
Registered
822 Posts
I was in the same dilemma when it came for me to choose between the 400 and the 650. Like you, I couldn't test ride either one, so it had to be a mental decision. I sort of had a list of advantages and disadvantages of going either way. For me, the main thing was being able to ride 2-up for weekend getaways (say, 300 miles each direction) and I ended up with the 650. But I'm using the bike for much more than I ever anticipated at the time of purchase and it turns out (for me) that the 650 was the best choice.

Once you get either bike, you'll find yourself using it for a lot more than you originally anticipated. I didn't think I'd be driving mine as much as I do... its now my primary source of transportation. I'm wondering if my car still starts!?

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
chuck807 said:
I'm wondering if my car still starts!?
Dunno about your car, but tried my truck about 2 weeks ago. The battery was not quite dead but not enough to start the truck. The poor Ranger has being neglected since buying the Burgman.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well won't be any 2 up riding done on it. Hubby has a Kawasaki Voyager that is used for that plus I have the Volusia if I need more engine plus I have a VS800 as well. Yeah, my truck will be without a garage if I do get this scooter next month.
Can't use it as a main source of transportation due to my 3 year old son.

The 300 mile trip will be a group ride to the Dr. Pepper plant this spring. So if I wait for a 650, I would not be able to do on that ride as an operator only a passenger. That would be the only 300+ mile trip I would make. The next event is being held less than a mile from my home. Woo Hoo to that.

I do not see a big difference in the 04 and 05 400 models. I might just try to get that 04 400 I've already seen. Save a little bit of money. Still get my scooter and be able to enjoy the free time I get when the in laws babysit, instead of just doing housework.

So, I think I have gone back to my orginial idea of getting a 400. If Hubby (from here on out, known as B in all my posts) would have just kept quiet then I would have even gone through this dilema. I think he's trying to keep me debating so I don't get one at all. :evil:

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Pinwheel said:
I do not see a big difference in the 04 and 05 400 models.
The only changes I heard of (other than the availability of the Type S) are:

* Center section of front cowl changed from black color to body color for improved appearance
* Turn signal lens changed to white color for improved appearance

I'd like to have those confirmed by one of the forum members that has already purchased an 05 Burgman 400.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
if appearance is the only difference, then I'll see if I can find a good deal on an 04 come next month. No one local has any 05's right now so the one 04 is the only one around and it's 40 miles away...which means a nice ride home if I can get it.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Money was not an issue for me and I wanted the lighter weight of the 400. I was a little concerned it would not be fast enough but I've had it for about a year now and it goes plenty fast for me. (I drag race a 1200cc Kawasaki so I'm no whimp, well maybe I am but never mind) You'll love the 400.

Thanx,
Russ

P.S. You'll quit riding you other bikes once you have the Burgman.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts