Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
8) Our first long trip. About 1200 miles round trip. The trip went very smoothly. The Burgman's ran great. Margaret's 400 blew a head light on the way up. But we finaly found one in Bloomington Ilinois. Every shop we stopped at sold the 400. But had very few parts. I'm just glad it wasn't anything trip stopping. When we got back we ordered two more bubs for the 400 at are dealer. Which by the way didn't have them in stock ethier. This is the third headlight. that we've had too buy. Margaret's getting very good at changeing them out. :idea: Margaret got in a hurry coming back. She pegged her scoot out one time on the way back. Heck i didn't even know the little burgy would run that fast. It made my 650 have to get up and hump it to keep up. Thank God she didn't hold it there very long. Or she would have ran off and left me behind. :shock: Anyway the tirp was mostly interstate hi-way. But a good ride none the less. 8)

·
Registered
311 Posts
Doug, congrats on a great trip. We are just off Interstate 55 about 35 miles northeast outta STL(yes, the flat open windy Illinois prairie). Well it just reinforces my idea that a trip from here to scootercade is a possibility. There are entrance/exits around the 40 mile I-270 loop around STL that absolutely pucker my bottom when I'm on the 400 burg, but in spite of MODOT's insane design of the roads, my caution and techniques from the MSF course have gotten me through.
Let's hear more about your trip.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alan said:
Doug, congrats on a great trip. We are just off Interstate 55 about 35 miles northeast outta STL(yes, the flat open windy Illinois prairie). Well it just reinforces my idea that a trip from here to scootercade is a possibility. There are entrance/exits around the 40 mile I-270 loop around STL that absolutely pucker my bottom when I'm on the 400 burg, but in spite of MODOT's insane design of the roads, my caution and techniques from the MSF course have gotten me through.
Let's hear more about your trip.
Hi, Alan

It's great to hear you're going to scootercade. If you are just 35 miles off of interstate 55. It would proberly be better if you went straight thur St.Louis. You can be all the way thur. Before you can even get started on that 40 mile loop of I-270. The speed limt slows while your going thur. Just keep on useing those MSF course techniques. I would pick my time that went thur. Say early befor 7AM befor rush hour. Or some time after 9AM before rush hour. Mid afternoon is also a good time to go thur. All you have to remenber is to stay on I-55 south till you're on the state line where it will change to I-44. One interchange. That's all there is to it. Signs will warn you well in advance. That I-270 is one of the crazyest roads i've ever been on. We had to take it one time because of constuction in St.Louis. We were in our cage and i still felt inscure. We didn;t think we'd ever get off that mery go round. Once you get thur St. Louis you are only about 6 hours away from the time of your life at scootercade. I got to go to work. I'll try to remenber to Pm you later. And talk more. 8)

Be cool,be safe.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Doug,

Rather than ordering the 400 bulbs from the dealer, buy a couple of standard H4 automotive bulbs from your local auto parts store. They're much less expensive, provide more light, and are readily available. The only modification you have to make is to bend the 2 little tabs flat with the base of the bulb.

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
Doug, Glad you and Margaret had a smooth trip. I'm curious about the most miles you traveled in one day. I enjoyed my Burg 400 for 210 miles yesterday and during a meeting last nite, had difficulty focusing cause of rerunning the nice ride through my pea brain.
I installed the Sylvania Silverstar bulbs (9003 ST/2) and improved the lighing quite a bit. I think it was less than $40.00 for the pair. Be sure the rubber boot is properley in place. Neal

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
billmeek said:
Doug,

Rather than ordering the 400 bulbs from the dealer, buy a couple of standard H4 automotive bulbs from your local auto parts store.
We bought a automotive bulb at a part store in Branson. It fit just fine and worked way to good. It was on the way back i noticed it was way to bright. We had bought a 55/60 h4 bulb. Factory is 35/35 H4. When we got back too the motel i had Margaret take the the bulb back out. The lens was extremly hot. I was worryed it might melt the lens. So we ran with one headlight till we got the right one. $14.00 aftermarket bulb. Beats ordering them Suzkui bubls for $60.00 plus.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
I've been running 55/60 h4 bulbs in my 400 for awhile now with no bad effects. Of course, I don't run brights during the daytime either. I looked at the 650s and they run the 55/60 h4 bulbs as stock.

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
To Doug and Bill,

Bill, is there a picture of what tabs you talking about bending flat for the H4 bulbs?

Doug, can you give us more information about the aftermarket bulb you got?

Last week on of my bulbs went out too. Installed a H4 but hubby says it's too bright even on the dim and I do have alots of cars flashing their lights at me to get me to dim my lights. But I do like to be seen too.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Ruthie said:
Bill, is there a picture of what tabs you talking about bending flat for the H4 bulbs?
At the bottom of the picture below you'll see 2 little metal tabs sticking up. The stock bulbs have a wider spacing of the tabs. I just foldered them flat to the base to use the bulb.

http://www.expeditionexchange.com/hella/DSC03546.jpg

They way I see it, the 55/60s are brighter, but are the same as used on the 650 so are street legal. I ride with the low beams on and if someone flashes me to dim them, I just tap the "pass" button. At least I'm being seen. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts