Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gave the sales guy a deposit today and will pick up an '04 Black 650 on Monday. I've been reading this board for a month, rode the scooter yesterday and feel it is going to provide many hours of pleasure. Aside from all the obvious info posted here in the past does anyone have any special precautions which will help me get the most from this machine. I'm selling a BIG BMW (R1200CLC) because it is too top heavy for me. I found the 650 so much more stable and easy to ride. I took the Beginner MSF course and was wondering if anyone has done the experienced course on their 650? I think it would be money well spent.

Look forward to sharing with you all. Anyone from the Seattle area that wants to go for a ride, send me some mail.

Carl

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I did the same thing, I sold my R1200c and never looked backed.
The "1200" is a great bike but the scooter does it all and is a load of fun.
were you a "Chromehead" :)

Carl wrote
does anyone have any special precautions which will help me get the most from this machine.
Just one, don't grab the clutch. :lol:

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Congrats on the new ride Carl and welcome to the forum. It'a about time you stopped lurking :lurk: I can tell you this guaranted, It's going to be a long slow weekend :wink: Good luck and keep us informed.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Randy,

I was a Chromehead and found the board to have much good info. After reading this forum for a while I like it even more. Seems better organized and more focused. My friend, who bought a 1200C when I bought my CL, had put 4000 miles on his ride and still feels less than secure doing slow speed manuevers. During my test ride that was all I did and I cannot explain how good it felt to do figure 8's, 360's and other slow speed stuff with complete confidence after 5 minutes on the 650. He and I have planned a ride for Monday night and I'm afraid he may be a bit jealous. I've decided I won't accelerate too quickly for our first few rides together. Don't want to show him all the ways the 650 is better all at once. I opened the throttle up maybe 3/4's of its travel during my ride and was pushed back pretty firmly. This will indeed be a long weekend.

Carl

·
Registered
71 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Obviously you're a very intelligent person for choosing the best color going for the Burgman: Black! In all seriousness, I love the burger, and think you made a great choice on a bike and color!

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Habu55 said:
Gave the sales guy a deposit today and will pick up an '04 Black 650 on Monday.
I really like the black. I wish I had restrained myself and waited for one to come in, but my dealer had the silver '03 in stock the day I went shopping.

Habu55 said:
Anyone from the Seattle area that wants to go for a ride, send me some mail.
I'm free most weekends. Feel free to PM me.

On Saturday the 31st I'm joining the Teddy Bear Run to Shriners' Hospital in Spokane. If your bike's broken in by then you should join us.

P.S. "Habu." Does that relate to 3+ in any way?

·
Registered
247 Posts
I also changed from the big 1300 Yamaha Venture to the Burgman. Don't do what I did. First ride home from the dealer first time I came to stop I pulled in the clutch which in turn stopped my rear wheel real quick. Only did it once - I'm a fast learner :roll:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is one fine forum!! Thanks for all the welcoming words. I really appreciate the support on the color choice. The dealer has an '03 Blue sitting on the floor that would have been around $500 less and I was sorely tempted, but my wife saved me. I've had three black cars in 40 years and although they are a pain to keep clean, they do impress when shiny.

Brian, I'll send you some mail when I'm comfortable on the machine. The Habu moniker comes from my AF days of passing gas to Blackbirds. Probably the best job I ever had.

Once again, thanks for the welcome everybody. Is it Monday yet?

Carl

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Habu55 said:
This is one fine forum!! Thanks for all the welcoming words. I really appreciate the support on the color choice. The dealer has an '03 Blue sitting on the floor that would have been around $500 less and I was sorely tempted, but my wife saved me. I've had three black cars in 40 years and although they are a pain to keep clean, they do impress when shiny.

Brian, I'll send you some mail when I'm comfortable on the machine. The Habu moniker comes from my AF days of passing gas to Blackbirds. Probably the best job I ever had.

Once again, thanks for the welcome everybody. Is it Monday yet?

Carl
Hi Carl - congrats on the decision and purchase. Just one thing - please educate a poor old limey! Ain't passing gas into Blackbirds illegal if not a little tricky? :wink:

·
Registered
120 Posts
The hours between when you lay down your deposit and then deposit your butt in the seat for good can seem like an eternity. But, it sure is the best feeling when it arrives.

Congrats on the purchase.

"RIDE ON"

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Habu55 said:
...The Habu moniker comes from my AF days of passing gas to Blackbirds. Probably the best job I ever had. ...
I thought that might be it, or something similar; thus my reference to 3+ (as in Mach 3+ :wink: ).

Were you out of Kadena? What era? KC135s or KC10s? Etc. No need to answer here, though.

Anyway, yes; do send me a PM if you feel like it. I know some pretty good long and medium rides in the area, especially if you've got a full day and don't mind a ferry ride or two.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Congrats on your new Burgman and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Norman,

We colonials developed something called the SR-71 in the early 60's. It was, and still, is the fastest air breathing airplane ever built. SR-71's are painted with black paint like the current B-2 Stealth bombers. Being quite inventive the US Air Force called the SR's Blackbirds. I was lucky enough to be a pilot on the aircraft (KC-135) that refueled (passed gas in Air Force termnology) these thirsty spy planes so I got to know the plane and the crews pretty well. The guys who flew the Blackbirds nicknamed them Habu which is the name of a snake (a very quick snake) found in the Far East. Many of our missions were out of Okinawa. As Brian mentioned the 3+ is a code for those of us who know something about the SR. This identifier was found on the squadron patches of the SR flyers because their top speed was and is still classified. The world is told only that the plane will go at more than 3 times the speed of sound, thus 3+.

I agree that trying to fill a real Blackbird with gas would be difficult and most likely would provoke great anguish among Save the Whale types. Being very PC I am guilty only of filling airplanes with gas, not birds.

Finally now that I've bored you all with this explanation I think my 650 will be be nicknamed Blackbird. I, however, will not attempt 3+.

Carl

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Habu55 said:
...The guys who flew the Blackbirds nicknamed them Habu which is the name of a snake (a very quick snake) found in the Far East. Many of our missions were out of Okinawa....
Giving credit where credit is due, the Habu is specifically an Okinawan snake, and, as I understand it, the "Habu" moniker was first given to the SR71s by the Okinawans who lived near Kadena AFB. The USAF guys that flew out of Kadena heard it and liked it, and the unofficial nickname was adopted, even appearing on their patches.

Carl, it's cool that you have a black Burgman. You should get a custom license plate that says "HABU" for it.

Or maybe I'll paint my '03 model that was bought in '04 (a 3+?) black, and I'll get a HABU plate. Yeah. 8)

·
Registered
367 Posts
Well, I too become a proud owner on Monday! My wife said I could on Thursday, went in to do a deal on a V-Strom on Friday and bought a new Silver Burgman on Saturday. Only took 10 minutes of haggling.
That was the easy part now the waiting is killing me, I think that I have read every review that there is and am still looking for more!

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Congrats and welcome to the forum Sails. The weekend is half over and you shouldnt have to wait much longer.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sails,

Congrats on the new Burg. They are almost too easy to buy. Nothing to find fault with.

Brian,

Impressed with your knowledge of Blackbird lore. Care to share how you came to know about the Habu and other arcane SR facts? I have a top secret clearance so you won't have to kill me after you tell.

14 hours and counting...

Carl

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Arrived home at 1:15, took my bride out for a spin at 1:45. What fun this thing is. Quiet, smooth, easy to modulate brakes. As I was about to leave the dealership I thought I would see what the tach display looked like at something above idle and rolled on a little throttle. Forgot we have no neutral and started gliding forward with a very surprised look on my face. Last time I do that. Then I got so comfortable with my feet up against the slanted floorboard I was coming to a stop and forgot they weren't anywhere near the ground. Another slip that will only be done once.

For you folks planning on picking one up anytime in the future, ask the salesman to check the tire pressure. Last 4 vehicles I've purchased have been way off. The Suzuki salesman said they do a great PDI but I insisted. We went back to the shop and the "expert" said his PDI guy was very good. I still wasn't taking no for an answer. Asked the salesguy what the correct pressure was and he proceeds to read the maximums printed on the side of the tire. Then looks at a placard posted on the bike and quoted the front pressure for single riding and the back for 2 up. When I finally got the right numbers and he checked the tires. They were both 6 pounds low. I'll check them myself tonite. So much for the great PDI. I also asked the mechanic about adjusting the shocks to the 3 level for the ride home. Was told they had to remove lots of plastic and would do it at the 600 miles service. Got home and checked the book. Did the adjustment in 10 seconds (no plastic removed). Looks like I'll be doing my own maintenance. The dealership has proven they know nothing about the machine. Wonder if Suzuki knows about this complete failure in their organization.

Anyway going for another spin after dinner.

Carl

1 - 20 of 39 Posts