Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
QUESTION:

My Fournales rear air shocks were wonderful, but are dying. They are leaking lubricant/oil (both from the seal and through the air adjustment valve) and bottoming-out farther down the shaft than I've ever seen. So I am guessing after 7 years they are giving-out.

At pushing $1000 for a pair last time, don't think I can justify them again. I'm not riding as much as I used to, nor need a perfectly plush (for a Burgman) ride.

Looked at RaceTech, and that isn't exactly plug-n-play and involves alot of trouble/expense/labor/fiddling/time. Really want plug-n-play. I know I'll have to adjust preload (I will miss not having to do that!).

So trying to decide between IKON or HyperPro. I already have HyperPro springs in the front (great investment). I am looking at these attributes:

--Can handle heavier loads without feeling spongy (such as a big Costco run or a 200 lb. passenger for short trips).

--Can handle potholes, big ones, bad road gaps and lips. Basically, reasonably compliant/supple.

--Doesn't have to be sporty (I ride hard by scooterist standards, but wimpy by motorcyclist standards), and should err on the side of comfort on bad road conditions and errand-running.

--Doesn't have to be super-inexpensive, anything is cheaper than Fournales. So if IKON or HyperPro have ranges of shocks, I'd still probably aim at the upper end depending on cost.

Thanks a bunch in advance!

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
For lack of responses, I dug around a bit:

--HyperPro was confusing, and I wasn't keen on purple shocks on my scooter. ;-p

--RaceTech I couldn't get a straight answer out of anyone, and they were foot dragging with my mechanic. I don't know how people deal with this company, my experiences have been uniformly bad with their pre-sales/service/support folks. To top it off, doing it right would be expensive, more than even a new set of Fournales.

--Fournales was tough to reach and I finally figured out why after contacting their USA distributor (a Harley dealer, was trying to avoid that)--Europe is on vacation! But the USA distributor (AR Harley & Sons) was actually quite nice. $384 for rebuild, $599 for new...price is ALOT better than when I bought them originally. Rebuilds have to go back to France (shipping included), but heck of a price savings...assuming I can wait 2 more weeks for their vacation to end, and 2-3 more weeks for the turnaround.

Well, given I'm short on funds and I really like these shocks, the rebuild is the best option. So I'm going to try to find some temporary rear shocks for a good price while I send-in the Fournales.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I'm ready to pay for a set of shocks that will actually give both comfort and good road-holding. Tell me more about the advatages and drawbacks of the Fournales.

·
Registered
375 Posts
For lack of responses, I dug around a bit:

--HyperPro was confusing, and I wasn't keen on purple shocks on my scooter. ;-p

--RaceTech I couldn't get a straight answer out of anyone, and they were foot dragging with my mechanic. I don't know how people deal with this company, my experiences have been uniformly bad with their pre-sales/service/support folks. To top it off, doing it right would be expensive, more than even a new set of Fournales.

--Fournales was tough to reach and I finally figured out why after contacting their USA distributor (a Harley dealer, was trying to avoid that)--Europe is on vacation! But the USA distributor (AR Harley & Sons) was actually quite nice. $384 for rebuild, $599 for new...price is ALOT better than when I bought them originally. Rebuilds have to go back to France (shipping included), but heck of a price savings...assuming I can wait 2 more weeks for their vacation to end, and 2-3 more weeks for the turnaround.

Well, given I'm short on funds and I really like these shocks, the rebuild is the best option. So I'm going to try to find some temporary rear shocks for a good price while I send-in the Fournales.
It looks like there are a few OEM shocks on Ebay (used). A pair of those could hold you over until you get the Fournales back.

I'm interested, too. I'd like to know where I can find fitament ideas. I usually end up replacing the stock suspension components between 10K & 15K miles, as I find the rebound damping goes to heck.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Instead of basically wasting more money, you may want to consider going back to stock and realizing that it is a scooter with limited suspension travel and a rough ride on rough roads is what you are going to get.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I would say throw the $220 down and just get a set of progressives. I love mine so far and the price was right.

Erik may have more to say about them though, He has had them longer than I have.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I don't have Progressives, I have rock-hard over-damped Hagons, which might work good if you weigh at least 100#.

They cost 1/3 the price of Fournales, but the money was wasted down the drain.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have a set of uprated Hagon's on the rear. These are the ones supplied to our AA Burgman patrol bikes which are used to attend breakdowns and need ability to carry more weight. They are good quality and the bike is both comfortable and now really handles well. I have a set of Hagon Progressive Fork Springs in as well. No more scrapping when lent over.

Top value for money. Better than standard by a good margin.

WM

·
Registered
66 Posts
Is there an actual set of Progressives made for the 650 or are they all just being rigged up from shocks for something else? I don't see one offered on the Progressive website but maybe I missed it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts