Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, after reading some of the posts on this site, I have ordered the Ikon suspension. I am getting rear shocks and front fork springs. I emailed them asking about what they had available for the Burgman 650, and they responded very quickly and emailed a form to either mail or fax to them (they are based in Australia, but how much could a call that lasts less than a minute cost?). I suppose it could be done via email, but as I live in NYC and we have probably the worst roads anywhere (almost threw me off the other day), I wanted it done ASAP. Just remember that there is a MAJOR time difference between here and there. I stopped by my local Suzuki dealer and they quoted me two hours for complete installation, front and rear. I will also go to 5 wt fork oil at the same time. When the stuff gets here and it's installed, I'll post an update with how well it works for crappy urban roads. Price for the complete set was $636 Australian, which is about $493 US, delivered. You can reach Ikon here: http://www.ikonsuspension.com

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I've been running with Icon shocks for about 13,000 miles now. I do like them. My front fork setup is stock though. I had been thinking about changing to 15w fork oil like Allwalk did, but once I switched to Pirelli tires I was reasonably satisfied with the ride and haven't pursued modifying the front suspension.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I have made 2 round trips to work now, and the Ikon shocks have made an improvement. Sharp-edged bumps are not as harsh. It is far from perfect though. It may improve a bit more after some mileage, but I think the problem is suspension travel and wheel size. Another inch or two on both would be ideal for pock marked city streets.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
TheGeep said:
Well, I have made 2 round trips to work now, and the Ikon shocks have made an improvement. Sharp-edged bumps are not as harsh. It is far from perfect though. It may improve a bit more after some mileage, but I think the problem is suspension travel and wheel size. Another inch or two on both would be ideal for pock marked city streets.
I pretty much agree. The suspension could still use further improvement. But the Ikons are an improvement over the stock shocks. I have my damping set on 2, and I use the lowest preload setting for solo riding. Suspension travel isn't much worse than many cruiser bikes. In fact the Ikon rear shocks I have were originally designed for a Honda 750 motorcycle. Wheel size is a severe limitation. For every additional inch in wheel diameter, ride over bumps improves a great deal. My V-Strom had a 19" front wheel. Bumps that jar the scooter weren't even felt when I rode the V-Strom. But integrating a 19" front wheel into a scooter design would be tough. And the shorter folks who ride Burgmans would be unable to deal with the seat height the V-Strom has. So what is needed is more sophisticated suspension design to compensate for the smaller wheels. Other than the Fournales air shocks, the Ikons are the only plug and play alternative that I know of right now.

·
Registered
207 Posts
A 15" rear wheel, 16'' front would be a nice start... :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
pauljo said:
Other than the Fournales air shocks, the Ikons are the only plug and play alternative that I know of right now.
Bitubo and Wilbers both make shocks for the 650 (and 400 and 250.)

Do the Ikon folks customize the spring to rider weight?

I've had custom Wilbers shocks on two of my bikes (my K75 and front and rear on my K12RS) and they're excellent pieces of equipment; unfortunately, they come with a price to match.

Greg

·
Registered
146 Posts
I've just installed the Ikon fork springs and gone to 15wt oil. The difference in the front end is amazing. Less sag, don't feel all the little bumps anymore, feels more stable in corners. IMO this is a must-do.
Adding to Allwalk's fabulous photos set, I have to say I didn't need to get the thing up on blocks. Just a jack under the motor to lift the front wheel (only needed to go till the back wheel touched) and there was plenty of room to get the forks out. All up it took me about two hours from go to whoa.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts