Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking at set of Ikon rear shock model 7610-1609 for 650, if other member here have install these on Burgman or have experience with these or Ikon shock, please comment on pros/cons, like/dislike.

As top of shock is under tupperware, how you proceed when want adjust shock damper oil control setting ring located at top of shock for various riding condition (setting 1 - 4) ?

What damper setting you use and what your total weight with passenger and trip luggage ?

7610-1609 shock set come with standard spring set #235-15/21/26 ( #230), is this enough for 400+ lbs of rider, passenger and Cl-850 trip luggage very full.

Should me move up to heavy duty spring set part # 235-18/25/33 ( #204). for total weight of 400+ lbs.

These cost $400.00 plus additional shipping cost so not want to do mistake., get it correct first time.

All comment welcome.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Yes, I have them. Not sure what spring set it has, probably the standard one. They're progressively wound. Ask the seller for advice. I ride solo, 230 lbs + gear+Givi top box. Two people and luggage sounds heavy-duty to me.

The damper setting dial (1,2,3,4) is underneath a rubber boot at the top of the shock. Practically speaking, you have to set them before you mount the shocks--it very difficult to see and manipulate the dials otherwise. Two bushings should be included; without them the upper shock "eyelet" is too large to fit the Burg's upper mount properly.

The preload collar towards the bottom has three settings, not five like the OEM ones. A stamped collar wrench is included. Unfortunately, it's not easy to change the preload on the right side once installed--the exhaust blocks the wrench from turning far enough. With a bit of determination, you can actually move it with your hand (watch the pinch points!)--but only when the Burg is on the centrestand.

I run the preload at 2 and the damping at 2. Seems to match the upgraded forks nicely. Yours preferences may be quite different.

The last bit to watch for is the clevis at the very bottom. Only one of the two bolt holes is threaded, so the threaded side should face the wheel. There's not much for the bolt threads to grab onto, about 1/16" worth of metal. On the first set I ordered, those bolt holes still had burrs left over from drilling/boring and had been chromed over. Not pretty. The width of the clevis was also too narrow to fit the lower shock mount; 19mm wide vs 20mm on the Burg/OEM shock.

The reseller was on vacation, so I contacted Ikon directly. They were disinterested in my problem, claiming it had never been an issue and I could deburr and bend the clevis to fit. No replacements if I broke something though. No warranty, either, though that may have changed.

Reseller eventually took back the shocks in exchange for a new set, though the price had gone up in the meantime. Overall, a disappointing experience. Make sure that clevis width is correct BEFORE you purchase them--have the vendor check. No burrs too. $400 is too much for a DIY fit.

For what it's worth, the Ikons are decent quality parts. Better than my OEM rears, anyway. IIRC, they can be serviced when they become worn, which Toronto's roads will certainly guarantee. The bolts, nuts and washers from the OEM shocks are reused to fasten the Ikons, in case you're wondering. Same torque settings as well.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Flywheel thank you very much for reply.

For $400.00 would think that such nonsense not necessary. Couple other BUSA member claim that Hagon shock fit perfectly such nonsense not require. Perhap should save $160.00 and purchase set of Hagon for $240.00. Hagon have 2 year warranty, but can not rebuild but probably can purchase 2 more new Hagon for less than rebuild cost.

Thank you again.

·
Registered
137 Posts
When I had my 650 I bought a pair of Ikons. I felt they were the best investment I made. The frost heaves on the Michigan roads would hurt my back, regardless of the stock shock setting. The Ikpns smoothed the bumps a lot. Mine were a little tight on the bottom clevis, but a little pull with an adjustable wrench fixed it. Flywheel is right about removing them to adjust the top. An easy job. I weigh 250, by the way. Never carried a passenger.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts