Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently started having an intermittent problem with the scooter. When I turn the ignition switch on sometimes the dash lights come on sometimes they do not. If I drop it off the center stand sometimes the lights come on and I can start it sometimes lights come on and I hit the starter and everything goes black and it is dead. Have noticed the high-beams going on and off while riding at night as well.

Battery was recently replaced so I am fairly sure that is good.

My first thought was it was the safety switch on the side-stand.

After a little research it seems that it maybe the starter switch. Would that keep the dash-lights from coming on when the ignition switch is turned on?

Any ideas? Just a short in the wiring somewhere?

Suzuki Burgman 400 2006 7400 miles

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
It could be a switch but it sounds more like a loose connector or a busted wire. The first thing would be check all the connectors, that they are tight and clean{dirt in there could also cause these kind of problems}. If they are good then it will require doing some checking of the wires with an ohm meter. If you have the service manual it should have a wire diagram and some diagnostic procedures.

·
Premium Member
14,285 Posts
Could be the switch, a short or a loose wire. You said the battery was recently replaced, have you checked to see that the battery connections are tight?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was getting a click for years when I hit the starter button then I sprayed some WD-40 in it and it's like new ever since

·
Premium Member
12,799 Posts
side stand switch should not cause light problems, my nickel bet is on the start switch or on/off switch. The key switch mostly. I'd be concerned about hitting a bump and suddenly sitting astride a fast moving , heavy, paperweight.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
With side stand and run switches off, when you turn the key to "on", the dash and headlights come on and the gauges cycle, but the fuel pump doesn't prime and starter won't engage (headlight will go off while the starter switch is pressed). Since loose battery terminals have caused a host of mysterious electrical problems in all types of bikes, I would start there as was suggested, then go on to the stuff that's harder.

Ignition switch failure is not uncommon, as the current for pretty much everything except the starter motor runs through it. My experience has been when it begins to fail intermittently, you can affect it by jiggling the key or working it back and forth. Have you noticed if wiggling the key makes a difference when nothing powers up?

·
Registered
331 Posts
I had to replace my starter switch, located on the right handlebar. For a while, I could spray WD 40 in it and it worked ok. after a year or so, it would not work at all. I took it apart and stretched the springs in it and cleaned the copper contacts. That solved the problem, but sometimes it still wouldn't start, and I would need to jiggle the starter button until it made contact. Finally replaced the switch a month or so ago. That little switch can cause all kinds of problems.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts