Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,I,m Oldschoolcruiser, from Baltimore and I have an 08 an650. Had issues with the ignition switch module a couple of years ago and was able to repair it by removing disassembling, cleaning and repairing heat damaged area with hot glue. Worked fine until lately I,m experiencing the same symptoms, have to turn the key on and off 2 or 3 times to light up the panel, stalls out at lights. Trying to locate the module assembly without buying the whole shaft, key ,and gas tank cap. Here in Baltimore none of the dealers seem to know anything about the recall and say I have to buy the whole assembly $300. + or-. Thinking about buying a used one from a bike of around the same age, but may have the same problem. Any thoughts.

·
Premium Member
14,279 Posts
Suzuki only sells the whole assembly. The actual electrical switch seems to be a unique design that only fits the Burgman. I did some looking when a friends switch failed and I could not find any outside source for the electrical switch. It would be nice if Suzuki sold just the electrical switch as you could retain all your original keys. Of course you can buy a whole new assembly and just swap the new switch into you old assembly. That is what I will probably do if I ever have a problem with mine.

One thing I determined is that there is a lot of current going through that switch and I don't want to add anything to that. For that reason I don't have my accessories wired to existing circuits that run through the switch. I ran new wiring for them from the battery.

Reactions: Dave_J

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Buffalo,
Sucks that they don,t sell the module seperately. They obviously produced one for the recall for the earlier models, but why sell you a part for 40.00 when they can soak you for 300. While viewing other posts it seems to be a part subject to frequent failure. I do have a few accessories, the main one being a 100 watt amp for my front speakers and a 400 watt "boss audio" sub under the seat, but as you suggests, I have an accessory circuit run directly from the battery.

·
Premium Member
2,771 Posts
Welcome to BUSA from the Heart of America-Kansas City! You can get more feedback on the different types of scoots like 650 or 400. JC

·
Premium Member
2,771 Posts
Welcome to BUSA from the Heart of America-Kansas City! You can get more feedback on the different types of scoots like 650 or 400. JC

·
Registered
134 Posts
Ignition barrel failure seems to be an issue with the 650. Mine has started - have to turn it off and on a few times to get the ignition to stay on. I've done 120,000km and although it's still going strong, I'm reluctant to spend hundreds of dollars on an ignition switch. My steering lock still works fine. Has anyone tried to bypass the ignition switch & put a $10 key switch (or digital key pad?) in the glovebox?

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
My '09 with 23K has an intermittent issue as well with the switch. Sometimes when turning it on it will crank but not try to fire so I have to play with the key in the switch until it will start. Yes it sucks they don't sell it seperately but I'll probably just pull it, rebuild, and modify if necessary.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Has anyone thought about installing a master relay? You could then run very low current through the ignition switch itself. Or even a series of small relays like the auto industry did with headlights and pretty much everything else?

·
Administrator
20,101 Posts
There is a resistor in the switch that lets the ECM know it has a switch installed and not bypassed.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
There is a resistor in the switch that lets the ECM know it has a switch installed and not bypassed.
And that's why LeDude and I get the error message instead of the odometer reading when turning the key on (keeps the ignition and/or injectors from firing). :(

·
Registered
5,589 Posts
oops, typo on my part, it's a code 42 not 52. ( I corrected that for you -- NB).

which basically means: Ignition Switch --> ignition switch signal is not input in the ECM. / Ignition switch, lead wire/coupler.

I pretty much that it will flash an F1 as the fuel pump doesn't kick in when this happens.

This started to happen a few months after I rebuilt my CVT, could be a loose connection somewhere, will check everything during my bi-annual tupperware tear down.

Hoping it is just a fluke rather than a real problem, hate taking apart electrical components.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having that same issue with my 2009 K650. Nearly 30,000 miles, and this has been an intermittent issue on two other occasions-to the degree that I've had to disassemble the front end and tinker with the ignition shaft in order to essentially try to tighten everything up. I think it's time to bite the bullet and just purchase an new ignition assembly ($300). I'm presuming if I purchase a new "Lock Assembly, Steering Set" part number 37103-10863, this should solve my problem.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I doubt you need the entire stem / shaft . What exactly is your problem ? You may just need the back electric switch part .

TheReaper!

I am having that same issue with my 2009 K650. Nearly 30,000 miles, and this has been an intermittent issue on two other occasions-to the degree that I've had to disassemble the front end and tinker with the ignition shaft in order to essentially try to tighten everything up. I think it's time to bite the bullet and just purchase an new ignition assembly ($300). I'm presuming if I purchase a new "Lock Assembly, Steering Set" part number 37103-10863, this should solve my problem.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
My '09 will intermittently crank but not start, looking at the odometer it displays something like check. When I pull a code I get I think it was C42 for the ignition switch. If I turn the ignition off and wait 5 seconds it will usually start then but if you turn it off and back on again without waiting it will not start. I'm sure it has to do with the resistance in the switch but I haven't bothered to either pull the switch and see if I can clean it or replace it (just the electrical part).

·
Administrator
20,101 Posts
Yeah, its a mystery why Suzuki will not make up a couple 100 of those 2003 warranty replacement modules for sale. A few years back you could order one but they caught on and it became a dealer only item.

It should not be too hard to make up a replacement if someone could get enough of the older units. The contacts are just hard brass and fusion welded to the copper spade lug. I think there are just three contacts inside.

For $300 a shot for the lock kit, $150 for the electrical module would be worth trying but it would need to make like 5 to 10 at a time to be worth the bother. You'd sell maybe 3 per year.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
If you are looking for and ignition switch assembly I have most of a disassembled 03' right now with the ignition switch. So make an offer on it if you want it. Will throw in the gas cap as well once I find it in the pile.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts