Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been intending to do this for a while just haven't gotten to it.

I'll post this here because while the pictures are of the ignition switch from a 650 the switch in the 400s are pretty much the same and the comments would apply to them also.

Several people have had the ignition switch in their bikes burn out. The repair involves replacing the entire switch and you now have to deal with keys that are different between your ignition switch and the other locks on the bike. The only solution to this Suzuki offers is to replace the all the locks with ones keyed the same as the ignition switch. It doesn't have to be that way.

When Robin's ignition switch burned out I had her save the old one and I took it apart to see what the insides looked like. What I discovered is that if Suzuki would just offer the electrical part of the switch as a replacement item you wouldn't need to change out the whole ignition switch assembly and deal with the not matching key problem.

Here is a picture of the back end of the ingnition switch housing. Notice the two screws that hold the back plate on.
[attachment=4:16eibt4q]HPIM2038.JPG[/attachment:16eibt4q]

You will need a special "security" bit to remove those screws. Not much security there as you can buy the bits at most hardware stores. When you remove the two screws the plate will come off and you can see the back of the electrical part of the switch. This is the part that normally fails.
[attachment=3:16eibt4q]HPIM2039.JPG[/attachment:16eibt4q]

You can just catch that piece with you fingers and lift it out of the housing.
[attachment=2:16eibt4q]HPIM2041.JPG[/attachment:16eibt4q]

This is what it looks like from the back side. Notice the hole in the back.
[attachment=1:16eibt4q]HPIM2042.JPG[/attachment:16eibt4q]

It fits down over the post you can see down inside the ignition switch housing. When the key is turned that post rotates turning the contacts inside the switch.
[attachment=0:16eibt4q]HPIM2040.JPG[/attachment:16eibt4q]

Now if Suzuki would just sell the plastic switch you could 1) unplug the wires 2) take out the 2 screws, remove the plate and pull the old plastic switch out. 3) pop the new switch in and replace the plate and 2 screws. 4) plug the wires up and your good to go. You would still be using your original key and all your locks would match.

If mine ever burns out and I have to order a new ignition switch assembly I will just pull the electrical switch out of it and put it in the old housing so I won't have to deal with the key change issue.

Attachments

·
Administrator
18,019 Posts
Craig, I think that is exacly what they do on the 2003 AN650 recall. I watched them do mine and it only took them 45 minuits and I used the same key after the services were complete. I already had the top tuperware off when it was towed to the shop.

So if we could just get the part number for the 03 recall, that may be the fix.

·
Premium Member
14,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you can find somewhere to order it from that would do it. I have a feeling that they would tell you it is unavailable.

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
i would not mind betting that that plastic part is fitted to lots of the suzuki range of bikes just need to find out what ones, bike salvage yard may help?

·
Premium Member
14,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
joe 90 said:
i would not mind betting that that plastic part is fitted to lots of the suzuki range of bikes..
That would not surprise me either. While I have not pulled it apart to see, I wouldn't be surprise if the one in my 06 400 looks just like the one in my 07 650.

·
Administrator
18,019 Posts
joe 90 said:
i would not mind betting that that plastic part is fitted to lots of the suzuki range of bikes just need to find out what ones, bike salvage yard may help?
Or any car made in that part of the world. It looks line a common part. Like the rumors of the 650s CVT belt being from a 80's Subaru Justy with the 1200-1500cc CVT.

·
Premium Member
14,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did some Google searching and it doesn't look like any of the Suzuki cars use a switch that looks like the Burgman one.

Looking at the parts fiche for a bunch of different Suzuki Motorcycles it looks like they follow the same pattern as the Burgmans. You can only order the whole steering lock assembly not just the switch. Looking at the fiche pictures of those steering lock assemblies, it wouldn't surprise me at all if the switch inside them looks like the one in the Burgman.

·
Premium Member
1,764 Posts
Really great tip. I'll do the same if I have trouble. Nice to know.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Buffalo said:
Now if Suzuki would just sell the plastic switch ...
Now why would Suzuki do that in today's throw it away society when they can sell you the whole system.
When I broke a bolt istalling the hand guards on my 400 (You REALLY do need a small torque wrench!), the dealer had to order a complete hand guard set, hand me the bolt, and return the recently ordered set as defective.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts