Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The ignition switch on my 08 Exec fails every 2 years, probably because it is my daily rider and gets started multiple times every day. This will make the forth switch since new six years ago. The first three were replaced under warrantee, (including a complete wiring harness the first time). At $200+ plus dollars a pop ($274 list) I am not happy to have to replace it on my own nickel. Especially since Suzuki wants you to pay for the entire key switch assembly rather than sell just the switch contact assembly which is worth much less but not as profitable for them. I found that since the switch assembly was subject to a recall for the 2003/2004 models, Suzuki sells the electrical switch part, since it made financial sense to offer it as a separate part for those model years rather than have to pay to replace the whole key switch assembly. Unfortunately they didn't see fit to offer the switch module for later years as they probably want the extra profit.

Can anyone tell me if the 2003 switch module (Suzuki part # 99103-11199) will work in later model years (specifically a 2008 Exec)? Since $30-35 is a lot more palatable than $200+.

·
Administrator
18,742 Posts
Steve, I put my 03's switch in my first 08 650 and it worked fine. I still have my 08's switch with only 1 key. When I bought my first wrecked 08 and rebuilt it using all my 03's parts I had two keys so I put that switch in.

But for it to fail as often as your does you must have some high amperage items wired thru the switch. Like fog lights wired to the power ports leads.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
i can tell you, because I have done precisely that

Yes, it does work. :)

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I would recommend adding relays to take the current in stead of the contact sets in the ignition switch.

There's plenty of room under the dash to do so.

I've done it for the headlights and my heated grips.

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
ErikDK has a point. I notice you have a bunch of electrical accessories added. If you are not running them off separate circuits from the battery controlled by relays you are putting a lot of extra load on the ignition switch. That can lead to premature failure.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys! Looks like I will be ordering the electrical contact assembly then (maybe even two).

I would recommend adding relays to take the current in stead of the contact sets in the ignition switch.

There's plenty of room under the dash to do so.

I've done it for the headlights and my heated grips.
I installed a relay for the main current draw, (lights and ignition) but if I recall the ECM is still on the switch, will have to check that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts