Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the key in the on position the headlights or dash will not come on. I have to keep switching the key back and forth til I get the lights to come on. Im a new owner of less than 2 months. I have only been riding it two weeks. Any suggestions on this please thanks guys

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Two possibilities.

1. A dead battery.
2. A defective ignition switch - these cannot be repaired only replaced.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Not sure what you mean by - how old?

·
Administrator
20,112 Posts
To replace one you will need to take the top cover off. LeDude has pic's or vid's in his "How to's". It will require a 20T Torx "Security" bit to get the screws out of the ignition.

You will also need the gas cap and the lock box's lock to have them all keyed alike.

One of our members has taken one all apart but I do not remember who.

I'll post some pic's soon.

·
Administrator
20,112 Posts
Here is the Lock set. It is from a 08. I replaced the set on my 1st 08 with my 03 lock set due to only having 1 key.

Make sure that it is a bad switch and if so PM me.

CLICK ON PIC TO VIEW LARGER.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
:) Well there is the benefit of a worldwide forum in action.Dave answered while I was asleep.:)

First step ensure your battery is OK. Then once you are sure get the ignition lock set ordered. As with all things Suzuki it will be expensive and you may have a wait. Have a look at Le Dudes site for removing Tupperware. When you have it apart take the opportunity to give the trunk release cable a good oiling.

Le Dude

·
Administrator
20,112 Posts
:) Well there is the benefit of a worldwide forum in action.Dave answered while I was asleep.:)

First step ensure your battery is OK. Then once you are sure get the ignition lock set ordered. As with all things Suzuki it will be expensive and you may have a wait. Have a look at Le Dudes site for removing Tupperware. When you have it apart take the opportunity to give the trunk release cable a good oiling.

Le Dude
Not if he buys a used one. :)

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Before you replace the entire switch. Check to see if the contacts are corroded or have road gunk on them. Friend of mine had similar problem and he cleaned the contacts on the male and female plug, plus he removed the 2 screws on the back of the male plug and cleaned the contacts inside with dielectric spray and his has been working like a champ since. Beats having to replace the unit if it works. ;)

·
Administrator
20,112 Posts
+1 what he said. :D

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have the battery out of the bike and on a battery tender. It is reading charging at this time. Should I just buy a new battery or just let the battery charge up and go from there. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It is saying it is charged right now. Im thinking its the battery but I will take it to Advance and have them load test it. Appreciate the comments JohnK

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well its not the battery. I will be taking the bike back to the dealer I bought it from. I have put less than 400 miles on it since I returned from my deployment. Very unacceptable if you ask me.

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Look at the last post on page one. That is the end of the ign, switch. You can remove those 2 screws and spray some diaelectric cleaner up in there for the contacts on the end of the switch. The male end plug you see on the outside can be cleaned with sandpaper wrapped around a Popsicle stick. The mating female plug I use a small bladed knife or small flat blade screwdriver to scratch up the surface some to get tarnish off and have better contact.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I will take a look at it tomorrow and go from there. Very frustrated with this whole process. So I need to take off the center Tupperware to get to the ignition switch.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts