Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the deal......

Battery was dead, I jump started scooter without bad battery installed. I hooked cables directly to battrery cables of scooter (realize now maybe I shouldnt have done that). Bike started like I thought it would. Then went to remove cable and after a few sparks it blew ignition fuse. No big deal, I thought. Got a new battery installed, replaced fuse, and it trips every time I turn key on. Had bike on center stand, with kick stand down, and fuse didn't trip until I pulled kickstand up. Regardless, I'm not able to turn key on with kickstand up, without tripping 10A ignition fuse. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2008 Burgman 400

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for input, not real mechanically inclined here, but is that something that can be done on your own? And is there a way to test it to make sure?

·
Premium Member
14,257 Posts
Yes you can test it. You will need a multimeter with a diode setting. You unplug the rectifier and check the voltage between the various wires in the plugs to see if they are within spec. If not then you replace the rectifier which is done by simply removing the bolts that attach it to the bike and bolting on a new one and plugging it up.

On the plugs you will see 2 wires and 3 wires. With the multimeter on the diode setting you check the reading between the 2 wire plugs wires. It should read between 0.5 and 1.2. Then you check the reading between one of the pins on the 2 wire and each of the pins on the wire. You should see a reading of 0.4 to 0.7 on all 3. Then you test the reading from the other pin of the 2 wire and all 3 of the 3 wire. Again you should see a reading between 0.4 and 0.7.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, and if it is out, I noticed they are $220 on suzuki' website. Will aftermarket work just as fine? If so, any particular brands or links to some?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts