Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my Burgman 650 a mere ten days, when my friend Steve came zooming up on his Honda 929 as I was sitting at the Bisbee Coffee Company's side walk cafe, contemplating my recent purchase, parked amongst the sport bikes, V-Stroms, Cagiva Grand Canyons and CapoNords, Ducati MultiStradas, Harleys, and a 1981 blue Vespa P200.

"I head about these things," he said, pointing an accusing finger at the Burgie, "but I've never seen one. Give me the key." Off he went. When he returned, some fifteen minutes later, he had the Burgman smile.

So today I drove him up to Tucson. Before we left he had phoned one of the two Suzuki dealers in that city and got a $7200 OTD price for a new '04. However, when we arrived the price suddenly ballooned by several hundred dollars, shipping, prep, etc. While he and the sales manager, reinforced by two salesmen, were having at it, I pulled out my cell phone, walked a few feet away, and called the other dealer. "Cut to the chase," I said, "OUT THE DOOR." I repeated this phrase three times.
$6700, he said.

So we blew the sales team off (I said, as we left, $6700 out the door, worth a twenty minute drive, don't you think?)

Well, it was almost a perfect deal. When we arrived at store #2 it turned out the silver 650 had suffered a bit of damage "while still in the crate," which accounted for the price.

So we looked. Mild scrapes along the right silver under panel where it meets the floorboard . Slight scratch on the muffler.

Not crate damage, I said. Scrapes, not dents. Someone took it for a test ride and dropped it. I turned on the key. Sure enough, 13 miles on the odometer. The sales guy agreed. I was misinformed, he said (Bogart's line in Casablanca).

Anyway, the price was right, and the scrapes were minor. So my friend Steve, who had brought his gloves, full face helmet, and leathers, did the deal and rode off toward Bisbee, 90 miles away.

There are now two (2) silver AN 650's in Cochise County, Arizona. (Yet the Suzuki dealer in Cochise County refuses to sell or service them).

·
Registered
308 Posts
migz123 said:
"Commander, we have taken more prisoners " :alien:

Take the new men to the prep dept. and give them some useless crap to store in their various Burgman compartments. Old wads of chewing gum, and inoperable tire gauge, and just a few pieces of missmatched velcro, so that it cant stick together.

Also, pour a cup of coffee or a Pepsi down one of the horizontal vents in the fairing, so they can "get over it"; I mean the NEW THING THING.

Welcome men....I have issued each of you a few fresh, crisp 20$ bills to challenge Harley clones in street races...you must turn a profit of 60$ a week to remain in the corps.....do your duty. Those not attaining this goal will be put on parade patrol with the Shriners.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Hi Ted !
Make sure your new riding partner joins our little group here :wink:

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Ted
It's always more fun to ride with a friend, especially if they own the same type of bike . looks like you did a favor for your friend and yourself.
:D

·
Registered
409 Posts
There are a few Burgman riders here in NE Ohio, just haven't seen any yet.

Enjoy the ride

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Right, Randy: Riding together will be fun, but aside from that there is
one problem. Both Burgmans are silver. Bisbee is a small town (6300 souls). Both of us are single.

I'm not looking forward to someone saying, "Hey, Ted, saw your scooter parked in front of Maggie's house at 3AM." (Worse, what if Maggie's married?).

Ditto for my friend. This could get complicated.

A new paint job comes to mind. I like yellow.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I like that, an airbrushed mermaid in the desert. And why not? I live on Neptune Avenue, and what's that name got to do with cacti, thornscrub, sand, mesquite trees and javelina? I live in a section of Bisbee called Galena. Four streets. The other three are named Spray, Czar, and Atlanta. Turns out all are named after original mining claims.

The desert rats would take one open-mouthed, bug-eyed look at the mermaid and say, "Hey, whut the hail is that critter?" (And probably say the same thing about the Burgman).

Rod, look at http://www.bisbeemarquee.com/ and browse through back issues. There are some quite good historical accounts, some in serial form. (I didn't write any of that stuff. It's good. I just dance around the edges. My job is to make people laugh and relax).

Also, after taking a look, you can e-mail me if you have any questions.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think you would have gotten a better deal in New Mexico. We have a dealer in Las Cruces that must be owned by that bunch in Tucson. I went to Alamagordo & saved appx. 700.00. Spent 3 days in Bisbee in March. Didn't see a Burgman anywhere. I was at the same coffee shop too.Just had prostate surgery on 4/6, so haven't been riding for over a month :(
Come on over to Deming, NM. via Animas & Columbus. Great ride and no traffic.
Walt Hoefer, Deming, NM.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Walt:

On occasion we ride over to Columbus, passing through the Animas valley and Hatchita. We like the hills going up out of Rodeo. The old Peloncillo Mountains. Next time we'll head up your way.

I hear there's an actual BMW dealer in Deming? Unusual for a town the size of Deming?

·
Registered
10 Posts
BMW dealer has been here for years. Good selection too. I heard they are in top 10 in US for sales. Silver City has Suzuki dealer. Have to have my 600 mile soon. Any idea of what it will cost me?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts