Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the owner of an '05 Majesty, I wish I had purchased a Burgman 400.
1. My small helmet will not fit in the trunk! According to Yamaha engineering, the molded trunk liner is sized for a large helmet. The opening on my small Arai will not allow the helmet to completely 'seat' on the molded area where the helmet is supposed to rest, thus it sits taller and the trunk lid hits it when closing. My dealer attempted to disprove me by slamming the trunk lid and cracking the M vent on my helmet! :roll: I noticed that the '06 brochure no longer states the trunk will "hold two full-face helmets", it just lists the trunk volume! The trunk size and helmet storage was one of the selling features to me and it was disappointing to have one of Yamaha's engineer tell me, "Oh well, buy a bigger helmet!" I would have expected them to have tested the full range of helmets (including the narrow/long ovals if they were making such a broad statement. I hope they will redesign the liner to properly fit the narrower helmets.
2. The seat and running boards are significantly wider than on a Burger or a Silver-wing. The '06 Burger is even narrower and VERY comfortable for a short woman to sit on or straddle.
3. The clear coat on my Majesty is thinner than an Earl Scheib paint job! :lol: :lol: If someone accidentally rubs against the bike, the clear coat is scratched. I will probably pay for an aftermarket clear coating, as the dealer and Yamaha will not back the warranty of their product.
4. The centre of gravity (CG) of the Majesty is SO far aft, the front end of the bike will actually get lift at highway speeds. If it is windy, the bike is downright unstable. As a woman, I carry my CG in my bottom, adding to the aft CG issue (no jokes please). When walking the bike, particularly during parking, if the pavement is uneven, the rear of the bike will try to jack-knife backwards around my leg. The Burgers have more weight forward, over the front fork, making it easier to handle. I thought it was just me until I returned to my MSF instructor and asked what I was doing wrong. When he almost grounded the bike, I realised it wasn't just me. This is a safety issue that Yamaha really needs to address.
5. Accessories. What accessories?? Yamaha puts a bike on the market and doesn't release the accessories for sale in the USA for another year?? :roll:
In fairness, on the positive side:
1. The colour selections are outstanding. I have the Blue metallic and I just saw the Red and silver for the '06s. Hopefully the clear coat problem is specific to my bike and not the whole lot.
2. The instrument cluster is well placed for my height and the night time illumination is at a perfect level. It's not so bright as to disrupt night vision, however, it is easy & comfortable to see.
3. Style. The bike is absolutely a head-turner. I rarely can go to the shopping mall or grocery store without someone asking about the bike. I even have had people roll down their windows at stop lights to ask about it.
4. The headlight and tail lights are bright, easy to see, and long lasting. I don't worry about checking my tail light every couple of days, since it is LED. At least they thought of safety here.

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
If there is any way you can possibly afford it, sell the Yammy and get what you want asap.

In Oct I bought a Jeep Wrangler, something I've wanted since I was a kid. After a month or so I hated it. It just didn't work with my lifestyle. Lucky my wife encouraged me to get rid of it and take the loss. I did and bought a Honda Element which I love. I didn't lose as much as I thought I might and now, instead of being misrable all this time, I'm very happy with my car.

Life is too short to put up with mistakes we make. Sell it, owe or pay a bit more and get what you really want and will be happy with.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that you are not happy with the Majesty. I have to admit that I have only talked to Majesty rider in person and he was quite happy with his and had no ill handling problems. He told me he had taken his on an 800 mile weekend highway (65-80mph) trip and was very pleased with the stability. In fact you are the first I've heard of to have the problems you describe. I have researched the Majesty quite extensively and virtually every report comes back as a stable excellent handling machine. I have heard a couple of people complain about the clear coat though.
As for the helmet space, I am assuming you are talking about the forward part of the under seat storage, if so could you not fit your helmet in the rear of the storage area?
Accessories for a first year bike of any kind from any manufacturer are scarce. I feel it is unfair to take Yamaha to task on that matter, without lumping every other bike maker in with them. I remember the great cry from the Suzuki V-Strom crowd a couple of years ago when all they wanted were some hand guards and none were available. Lack of goodies is strickly a matter of economics, they want to make sure the bike will sell in a given market before they invest a lot of money in dress up items. Even if the items are available in a foreign market the cost to Yamaha USA to stock the items is tremendous. Although, in Canada we have lots of accessories available for the Majesty.
If you are not happy, it's best to take your losses and move on to what will make you smile.
PS I don't own a Majesty or work for Yamaha.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
I have posted in the past about the comparison of the B400 to the Yamaha M400. In those posts I have stated that if I were to buy another 400, I would probably get a M400 and I thought the M400 had a slight edge over the B400.

Recently, I had the opportunity to ride a M400 on a longer open road test ride. After the ride, I will have to retract my comments above. I discovered that for me the B400 handles better on the road and had a better rider position than the M400.

The M400 has a lot of nice features, but all things considered, I would pick the B400 over the M400, especially with the introduction of the B400 red “S” model.

·
Premium Member
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rubble said:
As for the helmet space, I am assuming you are talking about the forward part of the under seat storage, if so could you not fit your helmet in the rear of the storage area?
The seat hits the helmet regardless of the helmet space I place it in. The difficulty is molded "hump" in the trunk liner that is designed to keep the helmet from moving around is too wide (from ear to ear) than the opening on a small helmet, thus the helmet sits higher on the mound, allowing the underside of the seat to strike it. The engineer at Yamaha that I spoke with told me they sized the molded area based on the opening size of a large helmet. He called me back the next day to say, "oops, my wife's small helmet won't fit either". I do give him credit for being honest. :thumbleft:
Accessories for a first year bike of any kind from any manufacturer are scarce. I feel it is unfair to take Yamaha to task on that matter, without lumping every other bike maker in with them.....Although, in Canada we have lots of accessories available for the Majesty.
If you are not happy, it's best to take your losses and move on to what will make you smile.
PS I don't own a Majesty or work for Yamaha.
If the accessories were not available at all (to ANYONE, including Canadians), I could understand, however the accessories already were in production & distribution in North America. I maintain they should have been available at least through special order at my dealership.
Finally, possibly the reason the gent you spoke with has not experienced the handling problems is that men carry their CG in their upper bodies, whereas women carry their CG in their bottoms. When your friend leans to hold on to the handlebars, he transfers more weight to the front of the bike than a woman does, thus stabilising the front end of bike more. I plan to try installing a bar snake to cut down on the harmonics in the handlebars and see if that helps. Otherwise, I will take JerseyBiker's astute advice and cut my losses.

·
Registered
133 Posts
That's the worst review of a Majesty I've read yet. Regardless of where men and women carry their weight, I cannot believe the handling problems you are having. It has to be a malfunction of some sort. The Majesty, even two up with my wife and I, is VERY stable. I've had her up to 80 mph (indicated) over NYC bridges with lots of wind and no problems. My wife's helmet is an extra small 3/4 with face shield and visor. There are no problems fitting her helmet or mine (XL) in the trunk. The clear coat on the Majesty, to my eyes, seems just as durable/fragile as on any motorcycle/scooter. The way you describe the Majesty, I would have brought her back to the dealer the same day for a trade!

The issues you describe just don't make any sense. THERE MUST BE something wrong.

-Defending "Madge" :wink:

·
Registered
520 Posts
[The issues you describe just don't make any sense. THERE MUST BE something wrong.

-Defending "Madge" :wink:[/quote]

Now watch it! I was just getting the wife calmed back down. You go giving her Majesty hope and all HELL's Gonna break out over here! :p

Mike

·
Registered
133 Posts
Pappy said:
[The issues you describe just don't make any sense. THERE MUST BE something wrong.

-Defending "Madge" :wink:
Now watch it! I was just getting the wife calmed back down. You go giving her Majesty hope and all HELL's Gonna break out over here! :p

Mike[/quote]

Pappy,

Sorry 'bout that!!! :wink: I just have to question that review because it doesn't jive. The burger 400 is slightly wider than the Majesty and the floorboards on the burger are wider too. Doesn't add up.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Just kiddin. I agree COMPLETLY by the way. I only sat on both of them with my wife. For ME, the Majesty won that test flat hands down. Riding them=NO idea but it's just not at all even possible unless there is a dangerous defect in my opinion. I suspect "foul play" afoot here..... :shock:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Blexcroid,

I'm sorry your purchase of the Maj400 has not been met with overwhelming happiness.

1. Helmet. I see the hump you are referring to. Have you tried putting your helmet in the 'other' way into the lower helmet area? My helmet fits in both ways; front first, or back first. Try putting the helmet in with the shield facing you, up. Of course you can use the top helmet area, i know.
Let's be clear that there is NO molded shaped on the rear helmet area. Right? If you answer no, i'm then thinking you may not own a Maj...
Nothing you put back there is in jeopardy of being hit by the seat coming down.

2. Seat. What seat position is your adjustment on? There are 4-5 adjustments for fore and aft seat placement. As a shorter woman(i don't know your height), i suspect you should be using the 1st or 2nd of the 4 seat adjustment holes. I'm 5'8" and use the middle position.
I do agree the seat is wide. I'm going to shave the sides and a little off the top, so my 30" inseam can be flat footed while stopped.

3. CG. While, i don't agree with your CG analysis(yes males have slightly higher CG, but while seated on a scooter, the torso is straight up and down, so higher CG has little/no effect towards your postulate; in fact, it hurts), putting the seat fwd will significantly affect the weight over the front wheel for you.
I'm 5'8", 155lbs, and i never once thought the Maj400 handles poorly. Quite the opposite, I think it handles well. This coming from 8 yrs on a 600cc sportbike, and 5 yrs on a 1000cc sportbike.
I'm amazed at how comfortable i feel at 80mph on the Maj. I'm sure equally on a Burg.

4. I agree with the accessories comment. Which specific ones do you need or wish to buy right now? Or are you just unhappy that more aren't available yet?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Additionally, what harmonics are you talking about? You didn't complain about it, but threw it in at the end. Are you having problems with bar vibration? or are you saying the added weight of a bar snake will weight the front wheel more for you(which is poor use of money in this application). You're better off getting a 10lb bag of lead shot and putting it into the glove box.
Also, a bar snake needs the bar to be a continuous hollow tube right? Not sure what the Maj is.

If you are having problems with vibes in the bars, your dealer should look at that. Clearly something is wrong then.

My Maj has little/no vibes in the bars. I could ride this 300-400 miles with no issues from the bars. Can't say that about any of my sportbikes. 60mi and my hands are almost done...

·
Registered
40 Posts
i wonder what you mean, or what they mean.

Don't these scoots just have 1 belt? The CVT belt?

The final drive should not involve a belt or a shaft really, other than it drives the rear wheel, which itself runs on a shaft.

I guess i need to see an exploded diagram.

·
Registered
40 Posts
True.
The CVT belt does drive the rear wheel. As with your harley.

But this can't be any different than the Burg for sure.

What am i missing?

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Burgman Engine shaft spins. It connect to the front of the CVT. The CVT uses a belt between front and rear pulleys. The rear pulley in the CVT spins the output shaft of the CVT. the output shaft of CVT uses the "final drive" system to connect it's spinning to the rear wheel. The Burgman 650 uses a sequence of gears to translate te CVT's output to the wheel. The Majesty: Engine through clutch to wheel via Final Drive: Double-cog V-belt. The Burgman 400 uses a spinning shaft (like the drive shaft in your car) and a clutch to get the spinning to the wheel.

Big engines use the CVT to vary the ratio of engine rotation to rear wheel rotation. Smaller engines use a simple clutch, but have the engine almost directly connected to the rear wheel. No transmission is needed, since the engine runs in just one "gear". If the engine goes faster you'll go faster. A centrifugal clutch disconnects the engine from the rear wheel for coasting or stopping.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts