Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many times have you started your 650 up and realized you forgot something. Your only choice was to shut it off to be able to go get what you forgot. In a cold start scenario this can be bad for the bike. What can I say, I can be forgetful at times. :oops: :)

I know doing this has been mentioned before, and I feel what I've done is a fairly safe workaround for the issue, so I'm posting the results. Having to simply tap only 4 wires in the harness, 3 being in the same area, the installation was fairly simple. :thumbup:

Up Side:
Now with the side stand down everything works the same as before. The bike won't start or run. But after this mod, if I engage the parking brake, the bike thinks the side stand is up and the center stand is down, regardless of what position they are actually in. 8)

Even if by some quirk of fate the bike starts moving, at least it won't come out of first gear. Of course, if I release the parking brake with the side stand down the bike will shut off.

Down Side:
By using the existing parking brake switch, it is possible to make the switch trip with little or no brake applied. I personally can live with that, but a second switch could be used to only trip after full brake is applied. Unfortunately this adds a lot to the complexity of the mod so I opted to trust myself to make sure it's fully engaged. :D

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
OK...I'm more than just intrigued. I've wanted to do this same mod for a long time. How about a DIY procedure? :thumbup:

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
SteveE said:
OK...I'm more than just intrigued. I've wanted to do this same mod for a long time. How about a DIY procedure? :thumbup:
just use a zip tie to hold the side stand switch in place/depressed ... not a major project....

·
Registered
704 Posts
I like redbeard's method better. Factory when parking brake not used, modified when the parking brake is applied.

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
I'm puzzled as to how a "cold start scenario bad for the bike" ?? If it starts up and you let it run more than a few seconds it will start again and there's nothing inherently bad about restarting the bike. One extra start on the battery. If it won't start, you've got bigger issues than a restart (like a BAD battery). What might be bad is making the process more complex and creating a problem where none exists (well, if we had TRUE neutral, it would not exist). Do you ever, EVER get out of your car with it running, and leave it in DRIVE and just put the emergency brake on? Same concept. In any case, LeDude said it fine (lock down the switch if you wish to bypass the safety feature). :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
I agree with SteveE, post more details! I can figure out how to incorporate into 400's harness, because I can Minus the center stand, 400 aint got a switch for it.

·
Premium Member
4,015 Posts
Sounds like a good idea.

BUT!

I had a Roketa 250 that would start with the stand down and it had no parking brake. Not only starting with no parking brake set but that model also has remote start with the key in your hand.

This was all good because it was very hard to start. :lol:

The Burgman is easy to start and I have gotten used to just setting on it, doing what I need to do or stop and restart the engine. The engine does not need to warm up, it runs good while cold, so no problem.

·
Registered
49 Posts
SteveE, I did this mod several years ago.

The way I did it is I tapped into the 2 side stand wires (1 solid green& 1black with yellow tracer)
and ran them to the parking brake switch and used spade connectors, I zipped tied the oem parking brake wires out the way which means no light when the brake is set but I don't mind.

As said with the brake set it idles with the side stand down, released with it down it kills the motor.

·
Premium Member
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All I used was 3 diodes, a car relay and some wire. Everything can be assembled on the relay and the taps for the 2 stand switches converge just under the left side of the front of the seat. The B/W ground wire was tapped from the Side Stand Switch. This way only one wire needed to be run up to the parking brake switch. Stuff in red is what was added to the bike.

[attachment=0:3tm0h4wi]SideStandMod.jpg[/attachment:3tm0h4wi]

The 30 amp car relay is way overkill, I was just using what I had on hand. Any small 12v relay should work.

Or you can just use a tie wrap. :blackeye:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
I just don't understand the need for this modification? :?

Back in the 60's and 70's when you had to kick-start a carbureted motorcycle you could maybe justify it.

Remember that we are not in "neutral", but in "drive" when our scoots are running.

Food for thought;
My 77 year old cousin has early model Goldwing.
He forgot to retract the kickstand, and at the first left turn it caused him to crash.
He got busted up pretty good and may not ever ride again.

·
Premium Member
1,093 Posts
QuantumRift said:
I'm puzzled as to how a "cold start scenario bad for the bike" ?? If it starts up and you let it run more than a few seconds it will start again and there's nothing inherently bad about restarting the bike. One extra start on the battery. If it won't start, you've got bigger issues than a restart (like a BAD battery). What might be bad is making the process more complex and creating a problem where none exists (well, if we had TRUE neutral, it would not exist). Do you ever, EVER get out of your car with it running, and leave it in DRIVE and just put the emergency brake on? Same concept. In any case, LeDude said it fine (lock down the switch if you wish to bypass the safety feature). :thumbup:
QR is right not be concerned about restarting the bike. :thumbup:
It is the same for all engines, more wear happens in the period when the engine is warming up than at any other time. On a cold start-up some moving parts are actually grinding against each other until the oil pressure builds up. So starting the engine from cold and then immediately shutting it off then starting it again means two lots of potential wear. However the second start shouldn't really be an issue as oil has been allowed to lubricate the moving parts.

Personally I wouldn't be comcerned about multiple starts with short periods in-between, especially if the engine has been allowed to warm up a bit.

Cheers,

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
My main concern of starting/stopping/restarting is battery drain personally. I never had good luck with batteries, so any less wear I can put on it the better.

·
Premium Member
1,093 Posts
Good excuse to take it for a ride "I'm just going to charge the battery up dear, won't be long, don't wait up for me, bye".
:wink:
Or more boringly, buy a conditioner for the battery.

Cheers,

·
Premium Member
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
bigfoot said:
My 77 year old cousin has early model Goldwing.
He forgot to retract the kickstand, and at the first left turn it caused him to crash.
He got busted up pretty good and may not ever ride again.
Bigfoot is 100% correct with his statement. That is exactly why I went to the trouble of doing it this way. If you just defeat the side stand safety interlock, that is exactly what could happen!

If I'm wrong for offering this solution to the board then so be it. But, if your going to do it, isn't this a better way of doing it?

We each decide individually whether or not we want to make a change to our bike. I'm not recommending that someone does this. I'm just saying if your going to, then let's try and make it as safe as possible.

For me, when I've pulled over to the side of the road to get a warmer jacket out of the trunk for instance, I'd "personally" prefer to be able to keep all the lights on and the bike running. Especially at night. This mod allows me to do that.

You don't have to agree, you don't have to do it. But if you do, why is it so wrong to try and make it as safe as possible? That's what I don't get!

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
tarmacburner2 said:
QR is right not be concerned about restarting the bike. :thumbup:
It is the same for all engines, more wear happens in the period when the engine is warming up than at any other time. On a cold start-up some moving parts are actually grinding against each other until the oil pressure builds up. So starting the engine from cold and then immediately shutting it off then starting it again means two lots of potential wear. However the second start shouldn't really be an issue as oil has been allowed to lubricate the moving parts.

Personally I wouldn't be comcerned about multiple starts with short periods in-between, especially if the engine has been allowed to warm up a bit.

Cheers,
Yea, I don't lay awake at night wondering about all that GRINDING METAL in my engine! :lol: If you're using synthetic oil in the first place you already have much, much better startup protection. I don't believe I've ever ruined an engine with startups...

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
Redbeard said:
For me, when I've pulled over to the side of the road to get a warmer jacket out of the trunk for instance, I'd "personally" prefer to be able to keep all the lights on and the bike running. Especially at night. This mod allows me to do that....

You don't have to agree, you don't have to do it. But if you do, why is it so wrong to try and make it as safe as possible? That's what I don't get!
Hey, that's what flashers are for, eh? Unless it takes you 10 or 15 minutes to find a jacket in the spacious trunk the battery won't immediately die. But you got a good point, like other 'mods' we make, we are free to choose to disable a safety feature or not to disable it. However if you post it in a public forum, be prepared to get what you get. :lol:

·
Administrator
21,745 Posts
Hey Red, with your mod, if the side stand is down and your Parking brake is on with the engine running, what happens when you release the Parking brake? The engine dies, right? With the side (Kick) stand still down it should. So it should be near imposable to ride off with the stand still down even with this Mod, Yes/No? If the engine does not die when the parking brake is released WITH the side stand down then I would recomend NOT to do this modifaction!

·
Premium Member
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Dave_J said:
Hey Red, with your mod, if the side stand is down and your Parking brake is on with the engine running, what happens when you release the Parking brake? The engine dies, right?
Correct, it will die!

Dave_J said:
So it should be near imposable to ride off with the stand still down even with this Mod, Yes/No?
Yes, near impossible! (Unless you try to ride off with the parking brake on, but then you won't be able to get out of 1st gear. :wink: )

1 - 20 of 27 Posts