Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The idle seems low on my Burgman. When I first start it it idles at 1100rpm and it acts like it will stall if I don't give it a little throttle{which I always do}. Once I have gone a few blocks or so the revs come up on the idle but still seem low to me, at 1250rpm. Is this normal for the Burgman 400? I am used to this sort of thing since my old scoot is a temperamental 2-stroke but figured a 4-stroke would idle much better.

·
Registered
735 Posts
The service manual contradicts itself in the same paragraph (page 2-11). It says "set the idle speed anywhere between 1400 and 1600 RPM, and then it gives the spec as 1400RPM +/- 100 (which is 1300 to 1500). My GF's 400SK6 idles at 1600 at any engine temp and it seems to be happy there.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So then the idle speed is low. I looked up how to adjust and will try that. DUH I should have looked there first. Thanks for the help, mike!

·
Registered
425 Posts
I have a 2004 Burgman 400 and I experienced a similar problem is you. Try getting the rpm's at 1400 RPMs for optimal efficiency. You just have to remove the airbox and adjust that screw with the flathead screwdriver.

·
Registered
735 Posts
There seems to be a consensus that cleaning the idle adjustment screw is important for good fuel economy and idle performance. While you're in there, maybe you want to do that too. I think the service manual has the procedure for removing the adjustment screw.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
There seems to be a consensus that cleaning the idle adjustment screw is important for good fuel economy and idle performance. While you're in there, maybe you want to do that too. I think the service manual has the procedure for removing the adjustment screw.
Good Point, I Think the Screw has a Small Hole in it.. Worth a Look.

Elliott,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts