Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm still having idle speed problems with my bike. Sometimes it'll be at 1200 sometimes at 2000. Doesn't matter hot or cold. I can get done with a 40 mile 75mph run and it'll come to 2000 rpm when I stop. Then the next light 200 feet down it'll be where it should be at 1500 rpm. Idk what I should do. I've tried to clean the idle speed screw and that's not doing much. I spray down into the idle speed screw hole too. Not too sure what good it's doing. Any help here would be much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
You might check to see if the throttle position sensor needs adjusting. You do that by putting the ECM in dealer mode then looking at the readout on the dash to see if the bar is centered.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok. Thank you very much for the suggestion. How do I put it into dealer mode? And how do I get it to tell me the tps position? And if it is out of position, how do I fix that? Thank you very much

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
To put the ECM in dealer mode you will need to use a piece of wire to jumper between two wire on a plug you will find behind the panel under the windshield where the fuses are. This thread will show you how to jumper it. http://burgmanusa.com/forums/341063-post.html#p365186 The thread is for the 650 but the procedure is the same just the location of the plug differs. On the 400 it's behind the panel I mentioned above, on the 650 it's under the seat.

Once you have jumpered the plug start the engine. On the instrument panel you will see a C00 code displayed. To the left of that code there are three little bars but only one will be displaying. When the bike is idling with the engine warmed up the center bar should be displaying. When you give it a little gas the center bar will go off and the top bar will display. When you close the throttle the lower bar will display briefly until the engine comes back to idle.

Turn the engine off. Then turn the key back on and check to see if the center bar is displayed. If the enter bar is not displaying then you need to adjust the TPS.

To adjust it you will need to remove the air box to get to the TPS located on the throttle body. You loosen the screw on it then turn it until the center bar displays then retighten the screw.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Keep Buffalo's number on speed dial.....1-400-1Buffalo or 1-650-1Buffalo for the New Burgman Hotlines! :D (These are not real numbers)

Nice description of the procedure there Buffalo!
Good Luck GK and check your mail box......soon.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you so so much. This looks like one more thing too add to my big tear down. Since I already have to rewire the seat latch cable, I'm going to already have everything apart. So that's when I'll do this. That's also when I'm doing the breather filter. And oil change. And now this. So, I will report back with everything. Thank you again for the instructions and help. This site has helped more than any mechanic I've ever brought it to. And ScooteReno, what about my mailbox?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Wow. Thanks Buffalo...Iv'e got the exact same problem. Sometimes the idle is perfect, next traffic light it's 2000-2100. Next 3 stops it's perfect again....and so on. I'll try that diagnostic test/procedure.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So, I'm tempted to say my idle speed problems are related to the oil consumption. I have a black mark on the idle screw that won't come off with cleaner. I'm thinking it's the burnt oil vapors that are coming through the airbox. Am I totally off on that? I'm changing my oil soon, so we'll see if that helps. I did clean the idle and that helped. Only ever seems to be a temp fix though. Hopefully I can check the tps soon

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I think I got to the bottom of it. On the side of the airbox, there's a piece that's screwed in and has a tube attached. I took that out, cleaned it with some Sime Green and its idleing perfect now.

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
You may be right in thinking the idle issues might be related to the oil consumption issue. My 400 has never had the oil consumption problem. I've also never had idle problems and I've never had to clean the idle screw or any oil out of any parts of the air box like other have.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts