Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To make a long story short...My bike is running fine.
The idle is up around 1,900 rpm's I think the "book" for my 400 says 1,400 rpm's.

Now I can figure A little extra engine wear, A little extra gas, even less engine braking All of which I don't think amounts to much in the long run (The CVT does not engage till 2500 + rpm;s)

The question- I sort of like it this way, --from a seat of the paints feeling-- :)
Do you think I should drop rpm's or leave it alone :?:

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
I think it would depend on how much 'idle' time you actually spend riding.
Since they caution against idling excessively for warming up the scooter as it 'loads up' (carbon buildup?) the engine I think how often you sit at stoplights, etc. would be a deciding factor. I'd be more concerned about that than the more wear.
I think I would lower it 400-500 RPMs myself but that's me. Of course, I like sitting at a light and seeing occasional ears sticking out just trying to HEAR my 400 (and not being able to). ;)

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
I would return it to the high tolerence end of spec.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
On the 650, spec is lower, 1000 to 1200 rpm. I used to set mine at 1100. Recently I bumped it to 1200 rpm. The biggest thing I've noticed is that most of that "deisel noise" clatter at idle is gone. The scooter is much quieter at idle now.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
pauljo said:
On the 650, spec is lower, 1000 to 1200 rpm. I used to set mine at 1100. Recently I bumped it to 1200 rpm. snip.
Did you notice a reduction in engine braking as a consequence of that adjustment?

On my Lardy it idles at 1300rpm until the engine is at operating temp and then it settles at 1200rpm - the engine braking is no way the same as before that idle condition was set (1st service) - I am embarrassed to report I did not record what the idle condition was before tho'! :oops:

·
Registered
355 Posts
I bumped my idle fromm 1000 to 1200 and found the engine breaking reduces, miles per gallon increased and diesel noise reduced.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts