Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my 650 back from the dealer service dept. 600 mile service done. I reset the oil change message (I guess the dealer forgot) and rode "the long way" home.

I noticed that I now idle at 1100. Prior to this service I always idled at 100, or 1100 until warm-up then 1000. Should I be concerned about this? Seems to be running just fine. I am thinking the idle is a tiny bit rough, but this could easily be my imagination.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,593 Posts
According to the Service Manual, the idle speed should be "1,200 plus/minus 100 r/min." It shows at the top of the page (13-2) that these specs are for the "AN650K4 ('04 model)". I'd assume that this would be the same for the '03 also. Hope this helps. :D
Don
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,363 Posts
I've had them drop the idle on my bikes too at service time. If you don't like it where they set it, just take the hump cover (engine hood) off and you will see the adjustment screw. I prefer mine idling at 1100.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
247 Posts
My 04 650 warms up at 1100 - 1200 and idles at 1000 once warm. Did that when I first got it, after the 1000km check and still at 2500 kms. Did you ever notice how hard it is to back up the bike when it is idling cold? Put you bike on the rear stand, and start it cold. Notice how much the back wheel spins. I would think that the higher the idle the more the tendency for the back wheel to be 'engaged'.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,363 Posts
Arby said:
My 04 650 warms up at 1100 - 1200 and idles at 1000 once warm. Did that when I first got it, after the 1000km check and still at 2500 kms. Did you ever notice how hard it is to back up the bike when it is idling cold? Put you bike on the rear stand, and start it cold. Notice how much the back wheel spins. I would think that the higher the idle the more the tendency for the back wheel to be 'engaged'.
I paddle-walk my 650 out of the garage and turn it sideways in the driveway before starting it. Then I start it, and hit my garage door closer, reset my trip meter, adjust my riding gloves - and ride off. It doesn't require much warm-up. As long as it runs for a minute or so to get the oil circulating it is fine to ride it. I just don't get on the throttle hard until a couple of bars are showing on the temp gauge. A bike will warm up more quickly when ridden gently than when sitting on the centerstand anyway.

So basically, I avoid the whole issue that you are speaking of.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Really Stupid Question

I'm about to buy a Burgman 400 and have just thought of something -- does it have "neutral"? a choke? I currently own a Ninja 250 motorcycle and when I'm letting it warm up, I do so with it in neutral and adjust the choke as needed. All hear about these fully automatic scooters is that they are truely twist and go -- how does one actually engage "drive" "neutral" etc.?? :)

The last thing I want to do is "Blip" the throttle while warming it up, like I aways do when starting my Ninja and the scooter start going when I'm not expecting it to! :) LOL

Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,363 Posts
Re: Really Stupid Question

Soonerash said:
I'm about to buy a Burgman 400 and have just thought of something -- does it have "neutral"? a choke? I currently own a Ninja 250 motorcycle and when I'm letting it warm up, I do so with it in neutral and adjust the choke as needed. All hear about these fully automatic scooters is that they are truely twist and go -- how does one actually engage "drive" "neutral" etc.?? :)

Thanks.
None of the new fuel injected bikes have chokes. The mixture is set by the FI computer. I let mine warm up for a minute or so and ride it off. There is no lean bloodedness, stumble - any of that stuff you get with an older carb model that isn't warmed up. I just don't push it hard until the engine is fully warmed up, which happens within 2 miles or so of riding.

The clutch is automatic. Twist the throttle and you are on your way. There is no neutral. And no more blipping of your throttle when sitting at a light... :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply!

WHEW! I'm so glad that I thought to ask about the "blipping." Blipping when starting (AND at stop lights) is completely second nature to me. When starting the Ninja, I'm sometimes not even sitting on the bike when I blip it -- a lot of times I just leave it on the side stand, in Neutral, and put my gear on while letting it warm up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30,278 Posts
Welcome to the BurgmanUSA forums Ashley. Glad to have you join us.

Once you try to blip the throttle a time or 2 ... and the bike starts moving, you learn real quick not to do that anymore. :oops: The 400 doesn't really have a loud sound that makes ya want to blip it too much anyway.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,411 Posts
Soonerash said:
...a lot of times I just leave it on the side stand, in Neutral, and put my gear on while letting it warm up.
Welcome to the ICOBO, Soonerash! :hello2:

Since there is no neutral on the Burgmans, they have a side stand cut-out. With the side stand down you can't start the egine, and if it's already running, puting down the side stand will kill it.

If you feel that you must warm it up, you'll have to put it up on the center stand. I agree with Paul, though, that warming up modern, water-cooled, fuel injected bikes is not needed; it wastes fuel and adds to air pollution, so why do it.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top